HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:10 PM
Change is good

any time I've gone to use them, they were empty. I gave up. I keep my sidewalks clear, and put pet/grass safe ice melt down if I have to, but last winter was impossible with the windrows

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:12 PM

I also see this as a useless item.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 7:13 PM
Community Guy

Grant offers a warm welcome to winter patios
November 17, 2023

As a proud Winter City, the City of Edmonton is re-launching a grant to add vibrancy to communities and support restaurants, bars and cafes during the colder months of the year.

The Winter Patio Grant provides up to $2,000 per business to help with eligible winter patio expenses, such as patio furniture, heaters, blankets and lighting.

“As the northernmost city in North America with over a million people, winter is a part of Edmonton’s identity,” said Holly Saulou, Emerging Economy Manager for WinterCity Edmonton. “The City of Edmonton's Winter Patio Grant will help businesses to create vibrant outdoor spaces for Edmontonians to gather and socialize during the winter months while supporting our local economy.”

The City of Edmonton has allocated up to $40,000 through the WinterCity Strategy and Vibrant Streets Program. The strategy has four pillars: Winter Economy, Winter Design, Winter Life and Our Winter Story. The Vibrant Streets Program provides opportunities to increase vibrancy and livability of city streets, sidewalks and alleyways from downtown and beyond.

The Winter Patio Grant supports Edmonton’s winter economy by helping locals create inviting, comfortable and vibrant outdoor patios during the winter season. Patios can be located on public property or on a business’s property.

Applications for the Winter Patio Grant are accepted until December 8, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Once the application period closes, applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. All applicants will be notified by December 22, 2023.

Visit edmonton.ca/business for information on business licences and patio permits, and edmonton.ca/WinterPatioGrant to apply for the Winter Patio Grant.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/patios
Wintercityedmonton.ca

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 7:06 PM
Community Guy

Sip your way across the city on Edmonton’s new winter patios
January 24, 2024

Not even quirky winters can keep Edmontonians from meeting up with friends on a patio, and this year there are even more opportunities thanks to the City of Edmonton’s Winter Patio Grant.

The City invested a little over $50,000 in the Winter Patio Grant, which provided up to $2,000 per business to spend on eligible winter patio expenses, such as patio furniture, heaters, blankets and lighting. It supports Edmonton’s winter economy by helping businesses create inviting, comfortable and vibrant outdoor private and public spaces during the winter season. For the 2023-24 winter season, the City has awarded grants to 27 businesses.

“Thanks to the Winter Patio Grant, our brewery’s patio can be transformed into a warm and welcoming winter destination,” said Rhys Oswald, owner of Omen Brewing in the Hazeldean neighbourhood. “We're grateful for the opportunity to provide an extended and enjoyable experience for our customers, fostering community engagement even in winter.”

The initiative is part of the WinterCity Strategy and Vibrant Streets Program. The WinterCity strategy encourages Edmontonians to get out and celebrate our winter identity through the arts, recreation, events, storytelling and inspired design. The Vibrant Streets Program provides opportunities to increase the vibrancy and livability of city streets, sidewalks and alleyways from downtown and beyond.

“A few years ago there were only a handful of businesses that offered a winter patio experience, and now we’re seeing over 30 locations across the city choosing to embrace that opportunity,” said Isla Tanaka, the City’s WinterCity Planner. “The winter season is easier for everyone when we are intentional about enjoying what it has to offer. This is also a great way to support Edmonton’s small businesses.”

To find a list of businesses sporting winter patios, including those where you can take your four-legged friends, see wintercityedmonton.ca/be-social/yeg-winter-patios.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/WinterPatioGrant
Wintercityedmonton.ca

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton