HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 15, 2005, 9:13 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
For those who like to party:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...980.xml&coll=1

HARRISBURG
Officials want city police, not state, to control noise
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News
Harrisburg doesn't want the music to die on bustling Restaurant Row along North Second Street.

For the third year in a row, city officials are asking to have Harrisburg Police, rather than the Liquor Control Enforcement arm of the state police, enforce noise standards for downtown bars, restaurants and nightclubs.

Last night, City Council unanimously approved the city's third application, which now goes before the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

This time, Harrisburg is looking for open-ended approval from the state so city officials can stop applying year after year, said council President Richard House.

The state liquor agency will hold at least one hearing before deciding whether to extend Harrisburg's control over bar noise downtown.

Since the summer of 2003, owners of downtown Harrisburg bars and restaurants have plugged in outdoor speakers to provide what they say is ambience for al fresco dining.

But the enforcement provisions are set to expire on June 29 unless they are extended by the PLCB, which has 60 days to act.

Because of that timetable, there could be a lag time between the expiration of the current provisions and PLCB action on the new application. Harrisburg would have to revert to the stricter state rules, according to a spokeswoman for the liquor control agency.

The state has a stricter standard for amplified sound emanating from licensed establishments. The rule is that no music should be heard outside of an establishment.

That would mean an end to outdoor speakers and thumping music emanating from open doors and windows of bars and clubs until the new application is acted upon.

No one from the public addressed the issue at last night's council meeting. Opponents will have to wait for the PLCB public hearing.

The local noise enforcement applies only to Harrisburg's downtown, bounded by Front, Seventh and Forster streets and Harrisburg Hospital to the south. The state would still be responsible for seeing that all other liquor regulations are followed downtown.

JOHN LUCIEW: 255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jun 15, 2005, 9:20 PM

My $0.02:

First of all, I'm surprised the front-runner for the new courthouse is on 3rd street, I would have figured they'd want somewhere with more of a setback.

Second, where are they going to put parking for the new offices?

Third, this BELCO project brings to 4 new parking garages in the city (Expansion of 7th Street, new 4th and Market/University, new parking building on Forester, and now right off of 2nd street). Anyone have comments there?

Fourth, What will they do with the old courthouse? I'm thinking either the state or Harristown Dev. Corporation will pick it up for office space.

Fifth, As I refered to above, the "superclub" is not part of the printing complex's permit, and yet it was supposed to be built on the same site at the same time.

Like I said, an exciting day. Comments anyone?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2005, 9:35 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I'm just dropping in to say hello.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 3:47 AM
Me?!?

Hello Philly-Drew, good to see you!!!

One more story of interest:

Show time nears for multiplex on West Shore

Okay, now my $.02 on all of the news today:

Yes, I am saddened to see the superclub not in the mix. But I still have some hope, though, because there are A LOT of sites up and down Cameron St. (among other areas of the city). IMO I would rather see a decent size club in DT vs. a huge club "way out there" anyway but whatever. Also, the club was going to rent space from the printing company so there is a chance that it is still on but they are just being quiet now?!? Who knows...

RE: all the new parking garages, I wonder what is going on?!? Yes, a CBD could always use more parking. But at the same time I can't help but think the city is up to something (i.e. eliminating street parking and expanding sidewalks or something; it's a stretch, I know, just throwing some ideas out there) and/or we will soon be totally saturated with parking garages...

As for the federal gov't all I have to say is typical gov't BS and it makes NO f*cking sense!!!! All of these empty/abandoned lots to choose from but no, tney want to destroy thriving historic distrcts or displace low-income residents. I swear...

And IMO this says a lot about how our gov't feels about us citizens if they do end up choosing any of the sites I just mentioned...

And Spudmrg, the old fed. bldg. will be used to consolidate federal offices on the East and West Shores.

"The existing courthouse would be used to consolidate nonjudicial federal offices on the East and West Shores."

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 3:50 AM
Me?!?

Oh and btw, in case you haven't noticed, the work has begun on the Mulberry Street Bridge (historic ighting, total rehab, etc.; very similar to what they did to the Market St. Bridge). One of my favorite bridges in the area is going to get even better!!! :carrot:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 11:02 AM
joining the rail club

^ very exciting news everyone. i'm happy to hear about all these new projects taking place.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 8:19 AM
joining the rail club

you know, i always wondered why there were no markings here...it does get confusing during rush hour.

FIX IT! LACK OF ROAD MARKINGS, HARRISBURG
Tuesday, June 14, 2005

What's broken: Thomas Bank of New Cumberland suggests pavement markings at Second and Forster streets in Harrisburg. For motorists coming across the M. Harvey Taylor Bridge and turning left, he says, it is difficult to determine where the lanes are, and there are frequent near-collisions as motorists search for lanes.

Status: Randy King, spokesman for Mayor Stephen R. Reed, says most streets will get new pavement markings. However, King says, Second and Forster has never had them and never will.

He says motorists turning left from Forster onto Second should use the middle lane.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2005, 3:21 AM
Me?!?

LOL what an answer: "However, King says, Second and Forster has never had them and never will."

A BETTER CRAWL

Turn options, shorter red light await drivers

Monday, June 20, 2005
BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

It's morning rush hour on the Camp Hill Bypass, and a red light at 21st Street means a 220-second wait for Harrisburg-bound traffic. That's 3 minutes and 40 seconds -- a commuting eternity.

The engineers working on the $2.2 million project to revamp this busy West Shore intersection concede that's a lot of time wasted idling.

But the wait isn't going to get much shorter.

The situation that Harrisburg-bound drivers encounter as they approach Erford Road resembles what the finished product will be, officials said.

What's more, by mid-August, the speed limit will be reduced from 50 mph to 35 mph from 21st Street to the underpass that carries the Harrisburg-bound bypass traffic under Routes 11/15.

And that underpass will be a little more crowded; a third lane is being squeezed into the space where now there are two. It will carry westbound motorists up to 21st Street, where they can turn left into Camp Hill.

The finished product won't be as tight as the temporary pattern in place, but it won't be much wider. The underpass still will be 44 feet wide, but instead of the existing two lanes, it will have three 12-foot-wide lanes. The shoulders will be reduced to two feet.

At least one daily commuter has doubts about the outcome.

"If that's how it's going to be, it does seem a little tight," said Bill Grimes of Lower Allen Twp.

Grimes said he's not daunted by the idea of the concrete barriers that eventually will separate the ramp from the left eastbound lane, "But, I have friends who do not like driving under that underpass with the barrier there. They feel awfully constricted."

The cost to widen the ramp -- $1 million -- exceeded the scope of the project, said Steve Moore, project manager for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

PennDOT hopes to have police present to help motorists adapt to the reduced speed limit, but East Pennsboro Twp. Chief Dennis McMaster isn't promising anything.

"We're the only state in the nation not allowed to use radar," McMaster said. "It would be extremely difficult for local police to enforce speed at that location."

The new left-turn ramp, which starts just west of the Erford Road exit, was the only option, according to PennDOT.

Moore said the key to the project is the creation of dual left-turn lanes from the eastbound bypass onto 21st Street toward Holy Spirit Hospital.

Ideally, that left-turn lane could have been built adjacent to the westbound lanes at 21st Street. But that would have created a conflict, Moore said.

There wouldn't have been enough room at the intersection to run both left-turn cycles at the same time, he said.

The changes ultimately will cut the red-light wait by 40 seconds.

"People have said any improvement is welcome. It's just not as good as we would like it to be," said Greg Penny, spokesman for PennDOT's District 8 office.

The changes should make the intersection safer, officials said.

Traffic heading south on Routes 11/15 will merge onto the westbound bypass using a new traffic signal just east of the light at 21st Street.

Penny said the dual eastbound left-turn lanes should leave room for two lanes for through traffic.

"This is a very difficult intersection to improve," Penny said. "We've done the best we can, just shy of the ultimate solution and building an interchange."

That would cost a minimum of $20 million to $30 million, Penny said.

Grimes predicted that travelers still will need maps to figure out how to use the intersection.

Reconstruction of the eastbound lanes is expected to take 45 days. Once work begins, traffic will be reduced to one lane.

PennDOT encourages commuters to find alternate routes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2005, 12:55 PM
joining the rail club

^ my parents home is in CH nearby this project. the bypass borders their backyard. residents have been awaiting the improvement of 21st/bypass for nearly a decade now. finally, there is funding for it. it's definately about time, since there have been quite a few injuries and fatalities due to the fact that the intersection is so confusing. the additional light east of the intersection and adding new lanes will help greatly. the main obstacle has always been the fact that the project takes place on the border of two municipalities and is operated by the state. bureaucracy at it's best!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
joining the rail club

Harrisburg Mall plans expansion
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

The owner of Harrisburg Mall plans to add a movie theater that will rival in size the area's largest multiplex cinema.

The $20 million project, which would include a few additional stores and a restaurant, would be the second expansion of the once underperforming mall in as many years.

Last year, Bass Pro Shops came to the mall with the expectation that the outdoor outfitter would lure millions of visitors a year. So the mall invested about $50 million in a full-color LED marquee, pylon signs, increased exterior lighting and renovations to the mall's exterior, entrances, food court and parking lot.

"We are going forward with a second phase of renovation of the Harrisburg Mall, which will involve the lifestyling of the mall," Larry Feldman, chairman and CEO of Feldman Mall Properties Inc., said yesterday.

The renovation will give the 36-year-old mall, formerly called Harrisburg East Mall, a "streetscape feel" and a "24-hour-type of look," Feldman said.

No plans have been submitted to Swatara Twp., but mall officials said they hope the project will be finished next year.

Added to the front of the mall facing Paxton Street would be two or three retail stores, possibly a restaurant, and a marquee for the theater to be built behind the mall, Feldman said.

No deal has been signed with a theater chain, but Feldman said he anticipates the multiplex having at least 12 screens, and possibly 14. The Regal Harrisburg Stadium 14 in Susquehanna Twp. is the largest in the area.

The new theater would be a "throwback to the 1920s and 1930s" with an Art Deco look, marble floors, high ceilings and plush drapes, he said.

In recent years, multiplex movie theaters have spread like spilled popcorn in the midstate, raising the question of just how many movie fans are out there.

"I haven't researched the East Shore at all," said Marvin Troutman, CEO of Cinema Centers Inc., which opened a 12-screen theater in Hampden Twp. last weekend. "I would think we might be getting awfully close to being saturated."

Theater chains usually look at the population within a 10-mile radius a proposed site before making a decision to locate there, Troutman said.

Earlier this year, the owner of the Camp Hill Shopping Center dropped plans for a 14-screen Regal Cinemas complex there in favor of a fitness center.

Feldman said recent housing and job growth around the Harrisburg Mall, which borders the TecPort business park, is expected to increase demand for the new movie theater and new stores.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 11:19 AM
joining the rail club

'No limit' for Restaurant Row
5 more eateries to open doors in downtown Harrisburg

Wednesday, June 22, 2005
BY PAT CARROLL
Of The Patriot-News

In the beginning, there was The Spot, and The Spot was good.

It gets a little funky at 3 a.m., but The Spot has always had decent coffee and a great chili dog with mustard and onions.

Beyond that, there weren't a lot of places to eat in downtown Harrisburg in the 1980s and '90s.

Now there are dozens on Restaurant Row and five more opening momentarily.

And along with a significant increase in convention traffic next year, some planners and developers see that elusive retail renaissance ahead.

Two of the new entries will be downtown Harrisburg versions of existing restaurants:

Haydn's on Pine, a version of Lancaster County's Haydn Zug's, a white-napkin place, will take over the Parev restaurant space on Locust Street. Cafe Fresco, which has a cozy format of espresso and wrap sandwiches near the Harrisburg Mall, will go bistro with a liquor license and open next to Stock's on 2nd, the investment that launched Restaurant Row in 1998.

Three of the five are new concepts:

Max's will serve traditional Italian on the street level of the new Market Square Plaza building. The Quarter will bring the beads and balconies of New Orleans' French Quarter to the 300 block of Second Street. Rock of Erin, across the street from The Quarter, is an Irish bar to be done in the modern Dublin style. (That's a world away from Molly Brannigans down the street, which is working with the warm tones of an old Galway pub.)

Is there no end to the trendy concepts? To the onslaught of interesting menus and sidewalk seating?

The answer from city hall is "no."

"The mayor has no limit as to the number of restaurants and night spots," said Randy King, Mayor Stephen R. Reed's spokesman. "Additional attractions only serve to add to the mix and keep Restaurant Row fresh and different."

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
joining the rail club

regionalism is starting to take effect here. i think this is a step in the right direction. the West Shore COG is going to have to change it's name though, with the addition of 12 east shore municipalities. maybe Metro Harrisburg COG?

West Shore council to expand eastward
Dauphin municipalities to join group

Wednesday, June 22, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

East will meet west next month when 12 Dauphin County municipalities join the West Shore Council of Governments.

Council delegates on Monday voted 12-2 to change the organization's bylaws and allow Dauphin County boroughs and townships to join, said Perry Albert, the organization's president and chief executive officer.

"I'm thrilled to death about this," Albert said. "Anytime you put more members together to share services and purchase materials, the costs go down for everyone. The municipalities save staff time, too."

Delegates from Hampden Twp. and New Cumberland voted against the change, and the Monaghan Twp. delegate was absent, he said.

The council members share equipment, use a joint purchasing program to save money on supplies, and share a state-mandated building code appeals board.

Albert said Dillsburg Borough Council voted to join last week. When Dillsburg and the 12 Dauphin County municipalities come on board next month, the West Shore council will represent 28 municipalities. Its members come from Cumberland, Perry and York counties.

"This is a time of growth for us," he said. "Regionalism is an idea whose time has come."

"We are ecstatic to be part of the West Shore COG," said Swatara Twp. Manager Paul Cornell. "We already know quite a few of the members because of our meetings with other managers. By bringing the population and the purchasing power of these municipalities together we can drive down costs."

Paxtang Manager Ken Beard said Paxtang officials are especially happy to be part of the council's appeals boards for inspection disputes.

Albert said that each municipality gets one seat and one vote on the council's board. Municipal membership costs $1,500 a year.

The council meets in the Hampden Twp. Municipal Building at 230 S. Sporting Hill Road. The next meeting will be at 7 p.m. July 18.

MARY KLAUS: 255-8113 or mklaus@patriot-news.com

JOINING THE CLUB

The West Shore Council of Governments' new members from Dauphin County are Highspire, Paxtang, Steelton, Penbrook, Middletown, Hummelstown and Royalton boroughs and Swatara, Lower Paxton, Londonderry, Lower Swatara and Susquehanna townships.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 11:27 AM
joining the rail club

HISTORY AT HOME
Monuments to be dedicated at Civil War sites

Wednesday, June 22, 2005
BY DEBRA MASSIC
For The Patriot-News

It's easy to overlook the significance of what happened more than 140 years ago on a hill in Lemoyne and what is today a busy street in Hampden Twp.

This weekend, a local historical group will bestow a measure of historical recognition on the Rupp House in Hampden Twp., and Fort Couch in Lemoyne by dedicating a monument on each site to commemorate the roles each played in the Civil War.

"We wanted to put up something substantial to encourage tourism to these sites and also as a resource for local teachers," said Larry Keener-Farley, president of the Camp Curtin Historical Society. For years the group has worked to establish Civil War Heritage Trails throughout Cumberland and Dauphin counties.

At the Rupp House, a 10-foot obelisk will honor Confederate troops and Gen. Albert Jenkins, who in 1863 led his troops farther north than any other Confederates, ending up in what is now Mechanicsburg.

Jenkins used the Rupp House as his headquarters.

The obelisk will feature a bronze portrait of Jenkins, bronze tablets with his biography and a listing of the units under his command. Artist Gary Casteel designed the monument.

At Fort Couch, a 10-foot marker will honor Gen. Darius Couch and the Union troops. Fort Couch was built to ensure the defense of nearby Fort Washington.

The monument features three engravings, including a depiction of civilians preparing fortifications against the approaching Confederates, a portrait of Couch and an engraving based on a Civil War photo looking over what is now Market Street in Lemoyne.

Robin Lighty, a former president of the historical society and current board member, designed the monument. Stephanie Palumbo was the engraving artist.

The Camp Curtin Historical Society paid for the statues through its own funds and donations from individuals and local companies.

IF YOU GO

A MONUMENT honoring Confederate Gen. Albert Jenkins will be dedicated at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Rupp House, 5115 E. Trindle Road, Hampden Twp. %%par%%

A MONUMENT honoring Union Gen. Darius Couch will be dedicated at 2 p.m. Saturday at Fort Couch, Eighth Street and Indiana Avenue, Lemoyne.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 9:22 PM

Hmmmmmmm, the new spots on the row are good news, and I think that the market is not anywhere near saturated.

As for a new movie complex, I think the market is near saturation. We have movie complexes all over the place, and some of those locations are closing down. Looking at the recent trends at the box office, I don't see strong market growth for films anytime soon. As for the rest of the new building out at the Mall, well, I would like to see some drawings.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2005, 3:51 AM
Me?!?

What a wonderful day news-wise, eh? :carrot:

First off, the mall plans sound AMAZING!!! I too agree that we are near saturation with the movie theatres, but I think this one will be okay and do really well. Swatara twp. is growing like a weed, the city residents like myself will no longer need to treck "all the way out" to the Regal, and the overnighters staying in the hotels near TecPort will be patrons too. IMO it's a total win/win...as long as we don't build one more movie theatre!!!

RE: Restauarant Row, HELL YES!!! It's amazing how fast stuff is popping up down there and I say keep on bringing it. I'm telling you, the city is getting better and better each day and it's really getting tough to beat. Has anyone noticed the new docks off of City Island? Think about it: pull your boat right up to the dock which will be near the restaurant on the island, the west shore's big plans along their riverfront ("Bridgeport"), Rest. Row booming, a rail stop on the island for CorridorONE....I dunno, folks, I am really liking the looks of things.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2005, 7:02 PM
Me?!?

Good news for HIA if this goes through!!!

-- Yesterday, the airport authority board unanimously approved a revision to its agreement with Amtrak for a proposed train station at HIA.

Amtrak has agreed to operate about 14 eastbound and 14 westbound trains each day through the station, according to board member John Ward.

The only remaining hurdle to construction of the station is money, which will have to come from the state and federal governments, Testa said after the board's meeting.

Rich Kirkpatrick, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, said that PennDOT is working with all the parties but that financing for the station is "unresolved."--

http://www.pennlive.com/business/pat...380.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Jun 23, 2005, 7:04 PM
Me?!?

Oh and don't forget, the Millennium Music Conference is downtown this weekend.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...380.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Jun 23, 2005, 11:46 PM
Me?!?

Thank God Uptown is getting this, because it desperately needs a revitalization!!!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED

City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE
17 June 2005

NEW RETAIL DEVELOPMENT SLATED FOR AGATE AND DIVISION STREETS IN UPTOWN HARRISBURG

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and developers David and Steven Miller, operating as the David and Steve Miller Partnership, today conducted ground- breaking ceremonies for a new retail plaza at Agate and Division Streets in Uptown Harrisburg. The new plaza will house a full-service laundromat and four other retail stores.

Reed said the Millers formerly operated the West Coast Video store in which the Churchworld retail store is currently located across Agate Street from the planned new development. The new $650,000 mini-plaza will occupy 6,900 sq. ft.

“We are delighted to see additional retail space being provided in the Uptown area,” said Mayor Stephen R. Reed. “Recent commercial development of the nearby Penn Center near 3rd and Division Streets, along with the complete rehabilitation of the Camp Curtin Elementary School at 6th and Division Streets, mean there is a substantially increased market within just a few blocks of the new retail space. This is a convenient and easily accessible site that is strateg- ically positioned for further growth.”

The project has been designed by Facilities Planners + Architects, and ECI Construction will serve as General Contractor. The project is being privately financed through M&T Bank.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2005, 9:44 AM
joining the rail club

interesting article from a local resident...against the site selections for the new courthouse. i agree with mayor Reed in saying the GSA should have picked the north street site or a site in the southern gateway near I-83. a signature building with underground parking, inside or close to the CBD, would do much more for the city in the long term. it's been done recently in other cities.

Courthouse site selections stink
Friday, June 24, 2005
The Patriot News

I'm shocked, angered and dismayed by the site selections for a new federal courthouse in Harrisburg.

Of all the vacant lots and blighted properties in the city, why would our federal government even consider areas that will destroy residences and businesses contributing to the resurgence of our capital city?

Furthermore, how could our federal officials have considered the financial and psychological effects of their decision?

As an 18-year resident of one of the affected neighborhoods, I am sick about the prospect of my home being bulldozed for a new courthouse. I haven't slept well since I learned of these thoughtless plans and have been experiencing headaches daily. No wonder -- my life is on hold. All of my efforts to refurbish my home seem useless now.

Also, I feel especially sorry for the elderly who are devastated by the thought of being forced to move from their lifelong residences.

I am curious to learn and intend to research what the law states about eminent domain. Does the law provide for eminent domain when taking land and/or property is absolutely necessary, or do our bureaucrats have the right to act on their whims when a site appears attractive?

I believe the feds have a fight on their hands. If logic prevails, a site that does not eliminate a huge tax base by demolishing historical buildings will be chosen. Let's hope our government officials come to their senses and decide on a site that does not demolish lives.

-- MICHAEL A. BILLO, Harrisburg

Old Posted Jun 25, 2005, 3:58 PM
Me?!?

/\
Yeah, the federal gov't seems to be pissing local people off more and more these days. To want to demolish historic sites when there is all this vacant land to choose from, pure stupidity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations