HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 3:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is just textbook NIMBYism. Given this site and its location next to a major street with transit service I'd be surprised if the 16 storey proposal were not approved.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 3:21 PM

16-storey highrise set to downsize?
Developer floats smaller alternative
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Jan 8 - 4:46 AM
A developer who failed in his bid for a 16-storey highrise at the foot of Bayers Road is going back to the drawing board.

Sol Ghosn’s proposal for his one-hectare lot was rejected by Peninsula community council on Nov. 10.

He’s appealing that decision to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board next month, but he’s also asking the community and city hall to consider a smaller building.

Randa Wheaton, a senior planner for Halifax Regional Municipality, said Wednesday that the developer applied Dec. 22 for a new agreement to build a nine-storey building, stepping down six storeys.

A public information meeting about the building will be held next week.

The original proposal was panned at a community meeting last April, when more than 60 people turned out to voice their concerns.

But Ms. Ghosn has been meeting with a recently formed neighbourhood association, Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) said Wednesday.

"The ones across the street on the other side of Bayers Road were the ones really against (the 16-storey building), and they like the new idea," he said in an interview. "They know that he has to build something."

Mr. Blumenthal said the newer proposal is a good compromise for the property, which is directly in front of the city-owned St. Andrew’s Centre.

But he said he’ll support his constituents if they don’t like the latest concept. "I’m going to push to help the people in the area, but I hope that they give him a chance because I’d like to see something good there."

Many of the community concerns raised last spring dealt with the city’s inattention to the area and its failure in 2004 to reclaim the land it sold, and that’s not going to happen now, Mr. Blumenthal said.

"The city is not going to buy the property back for over $1 million and turn it into a park," he said. "So I just hope that people understand there is going to be something built there."

( apugsley@herald.ca)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:40 PM

Intersting article....

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't most of the complaints about the land not being turned into a park? I hope the residents realize that the building will most likely be bigger in footprint so they lost the only parkland they were going to get...

Also if the councillor even admits that it will be a residential building why does it have to a stuppy little building? A slim sixteen storey tower is much more attractive that a nine storey step down building.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:12 PM
we built this city

Exactly, that is why 16 is better. I hope they mention how much land their backup plan will use in the appeal... maybe then some local residents would come to their senses.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 3:38 AM

Does anybody know what happened to this proposal?

The last I heard they appealled to the URB and the URB had the public hearing listed for Monday but now the public hearing listing is gone.

I really hope the developer didn't just give up.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:13 AM

I found today that the HRM planning website has a new entry for this "revised" tower:

Case 01228 - Application by 3106631 Nova Scotia Limited to permit by development agreement a nine storey multiple unit residential building with a total of 124 units at 6955 Bayer's Road, Halifax (PID # 40824005).

The "more information" link is broken now but will hopefully be set up soon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:16 AM

Good-bye parkland. I hope the neighbourhood is happy they lost the thing they were fighting for

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:26 PM

Just so we can close the door on this project. From the HRM Website;

Update: On November 10, 2008, the development agreement was refused by Peninsula Community Council. The matter was appealed to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

As of March 6, 2009, the appeal is being withdrawn. The site is now the subject of a new application. Please go to the Case 01228 Details web page for further information.

Maybe someone can change the title to "Dead" or whatever the appropriate word is?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 11:06 PM

Abandoned?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth