HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:53 PM

Huge progress today!! I saw 3 guys (all named Moe no doubt) on a scissor lift installing a window when I drove into town at 8:30 this morning. By 11AM they were gone...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:31 AM

WOW! except when i took the bus into town at 4pm Moe's were working on a window? maybe they just had to take a lunch break

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 6:37 PM

Holy Cats!! Today when I drove past the place I noticed a small section of siding that the Moes had somehow managed to install on a section of the south wall of the building! It is very strange-looking stuff too, reminded me of those old asbestos shingles one sees on WWII housing, except this was siding, not shingles, and was a brilliant lime green color.

Hope the color doesn't fade by the time they finish this place.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Holy Cats!! Today when I drove past the place I noticed a small section of siding that the Moes had somehow managed to install on a section of the south wall of the building! It is very strange-looking stuff too, reminded me of those old asbestos shingles one sees on WWII housing, except this was siding, not shingles, and was a brilliant lime green color.

Hope the color doesn't fade by the time they finish this place.
I realize these guys are slow in their building, however I like their finished products. I doubt the housing developments at Mont Blanc and Ravenscraig have a peer anywhere in Atlantic Canada. Beautiful detailing! They do need a bit of help in speeding up multi-storey construction.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:40 PM

Huge progress to report!!! The 5 Moes have actually been able to apply siding to almost the entire north side of the place! Unlike the bilious green on part of the south wall, this side is a dark red. At this rate they should be finished no later than 2010.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 4:01 PM
we built this city

The website: http://www.polycorp.ca/spice/

now has a 3-D rendering video that shows the development.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 6:33 PM

I like to give this development a hard time because of the slowness of construction, but in truth I really like the concept and the design. The floor plans look good for the price range and if I wanted to live downtown that would be a top contender.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 4:45 PM

Takeo mentioned the concrete board siding they are using on this development. While it is still proceeding at a ridiculously slow rate -- I wonder how many deposits they are being forced to give back because of the uncertain occupancy date -- the 5 Moes doing the work have managed to get partial sections of the exterior clad. Some appears to be in the shape of very wide clapboard, while others are flat panels separated by aluminum strips.

The stuff looks awful right now. I don't know if it just needs cleaning or if the finish has been damaged or faded, but it does not look promising for the long term. I really am starting to wonder if the developers know what they are doing.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:01 AM

I couldn't hellp but notice that people are living in this building! There are lights on at night there are posters up on the walls it amazing they want to live in this semi-done building. I guess they don't have to worry much about the noise of construction the Moe's only work for three hours a day (if that) and not everyday either.

I'm still reserving judgement on this but so far it looks unique and somewhat beutiful.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 4:39 AM

WHAT?! Really? It must be the back units. Cause the front is still a mess. how very odd.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:12 PM

I noticed on Sunday some sandwich boards in the neighbourhood advertising a model suite. Perhaps that is why it looks "lived-in".

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Recent photo from Flickr (taken by m.d.h. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8362246@N07/) that shows some of the cladding being put up:

You can also see Armoury Square and some new townhouses.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:53 PM

i am sorry but this has to be the slowest development known; i think they built Rome faster then this.

The cladding, as cool as it may be is not consistent and looks very cheap to be honest.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 2:22 AM

Wow, that seriously looks like something you would find in St John's.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
Salty Town

Spice has a few problems. It has now been under construction for a year and half. The design and concept is marginal if high quality materials were to be used. The issue is plastic looking chipboard is not attractive and because they are so slow all of the cheap panels are scared and faded. I doesn't seem as though this cheap stuff will be liking a coat of paint either. In addition the badly planned ugly sewage treatment plant emits a continuous stench, much to "everyones" surprise. Perhaps after mayor Kelly goes for a swim in the harbour he can sit in a lawn chair on top of the stench factory on a hot summer day for a few hours.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Spice has a few problems. It has now been under construction for a year and half. The design and concept is marginal if high quality materials were to be used. The issue is plastic looking chipboard is not attractive and because they are so slow all of the cheap panels are scared and faded. I doesn't seem as though this cheap stuff will be liking a coat of paint either. In addition the badly planned ugly sewage treatment plant emits a continuous stench, much to "everyones" surprise. Perhaps after mayor Kelly goes for a swim in the harbour he can sit in a lawn chair on top of the stench factory on a hot summer day for a few hours.
You sure its only been 1.5 years, seems a hell of a lot longer. Mind you they are probably 75% completed to date, so another 6 months will make it a timely development considering the relatively small size.

And i concur, the panels are not looking like quality materials. A shame really, i had high hopes for the development.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:59 PM

I guess our first clue should have been that wingey-looking crane they put on the site..

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 5:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
In addition the badly planned ugly sewage treatment plant emits a continuous stench, much to "everyones" surprise. Perhaps after mayor Kelly goes for a swim in the harbour he can sit in a lawn chair on top of the stench factory on a hot summer day for a few hours.
Yeah, that was obviously a horrendous choice of location. I guess it was the cheapest option and the suburban councillors didn't care.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 7:09 PM

I walk by there every day on my way to work. It does not continuously stink. In fact... it rarely stinks in my experience. I read in the paper that when it DOES stink... it's due to environmental factors (i.e... lots of rain) that makes the sink actually come up from the manholes before the stuff has even made it into the plant. The plant has negative air pressure... so is should actually be impossible for the inside air to escape.

As for Spice... that cladding looks horrendous and cheap.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
As for Spice... that cladding looks horrendous and cheap.
Agreed. This was my biggest fear, right from the time I first saw the renderings... my fears have come true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth