HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:50 PM

I can't quite find a picture of what I'm thinking of, but the WGBH digital mural at night shows a dark star field so as not to shine brightly into anyone's anything. Maybe Litz can do that too?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I can't quite find a picture of what I'm thinking of, but the WGBH digital mural at night shows a dark star field so as not to shine brightly into anyone's anything. Maybe Litz can do that too?

I used to commute between Boston and Philly pretty much every other weekend and that building was one of the signs that I was getting close.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
One person was like, "Waaaaa.... my big large east facing windows are still beautiful, but 3 blocks away at the end of the street, the light messes up my large NORTH facing windows...Waaaa....I used to have two giant great views and now one has a sign."

The signs turn off at midnight, and they are supposed to dim at night so they aren't as bright. Real easy fix is to just make them turn off the lights at 10pm on weekdays when no one is there on the street to see them anyway and dim it even more. But, the part of the article that mentions more is coming does make me wonder... if EVERY building can do this, why would they not? Just this one building is ok, but if the entire area becomes times square, that could be a problem. Hopefully there is some regulation on the scale of setting up this commercial district.
Why would it be a problem? Times Square is a world famous landmark. It'd be great if people came to Philly to see the historic stuff and also started thinking "Oh I want to check out the bright lights of Market East too!" I think it'd be an amazing juxtaposition to have this blossom within a few blocks of the historic area. Past meets present. Also, I live a block away and I'm completely in support (as you can obviously tell). I knew what I was getting myself into when I moved to one of the largest cities in the US. I have black out curtains in my room and I close them at night, problem solved.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Every building in the specific area for which this lighting is zoned may do this. I have no idea how burdensome the lighting is or could be to people living in or near the area. People have a tendency to exaggerate, and it could be that this is really not that bothersome. Whatever regulations that do exist as far as times and brightness should be enforced.
I was at my friends' place at the St. James last weekend, which is half a block away. Probably higher up than those complaining (38th floor), but I can say without a shred of doubt: they're full of it. I didn't even notice the sign for at least an hour, and I always spend a good amount of time staring out their windows.

Also, Larry Magid is complaining about putting up electronic advertisements on buildings? The hypocrisy, not the lights, is what's blinding: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-city-council/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I used to commute between Boston and Philly pretty much every other weekend and that building was one of the signs that I was getting close.
You've probably seen more Connecticut than anyone should ever see.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 4:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:06 PM

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:16 PM

Ronald O. Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics - 36th and Sansom

8 floors

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...o-penns-campus

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
Wish they were going to cap more of 676 since this one cap looks really great!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:21 PM

15th and Walnut
Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Ronald O. Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics - 36th and Sansom

8 floors
Per a recent Penn news release, construction of this won't begin until December, with completion in Spring 2018:

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/news/p...-and-economics

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Per a recent Penn news release, construction of this won't begin until December, with completion in Spring 2018:

http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/news/p...-and-economics
Makes me wonder why they bothered ripping up the space that was there then? Surely they could have left that until October or November.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Makes me wonder why they bothered ripping up the space that was there then? Surely they could have left that until October or November.
I was by there a month or so ago, and it appeared that they were either removing or installing some large drainage pipes there. Could be preparatory for this project, or not.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 2:42 AM

Brickstone 1100 Chestnut:
001 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

003 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Forever 21 soft opening:

108 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 4:39 PM
Me?!?

I figured some may find this interesting, another decently sized mall in the area is going bye bye [from its current form]:

With 'de-malling,' a new look for Granite Run
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ZyBK7wWSTrh.99

The best way to turn around the struggling mall, according to its owners, is to demolish it.

What was once a classic suburban mall will be reborn as something more classically urban.

Outdoor courtyards will replace the traditional mall structure as it becomes a town center with retail stores, restaurants, and luxury apartments.

Michael Markman, president of BET Investments, said work could begin as early as August to deconstruct the 40-year-old mall while leaving its large anchor stores intact.

The $100 million project could become the largest new development in Middletown Township in years, bringing a new look to the 59-acre property along Baltimore Pike. It will also become the latest example of "de-malling," or repurposing a failing shopping mall.

"It's a well-located, underutilized piece of property that's fallen on hard times," Markman said. "And it's pretty much the center focal point of the township."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 1:15 AM

From the Franklin Institute, Evo and FMC crane

From the Franklin Institute, LDS Temple

Lit Brothers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 2:35 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Forever 21 soft opening:
108 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
Well that was fast. I went by there the other day and it wasn't even stocked!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Feb 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 3:31 PM

Penn Medicine Updates

Just an update on Perelman-HUP bridge, more construction fencing going up on the Penn Tower side. Perelman side continues to have work done daily. Inside Perelman the corner office has been vacated and prep work has been done.

PCAM Addition, cement trucks were frequently visiting and dumping as the continue to solidify the staircases on the addition. Scaffolding has come down on the Perelman Garage Entrance. Still a lot of work to be done.

3600 Garage is having its exterior installed. Work continues inside, but its still on schedule to open for use when Penn Tower Garage permanently closes 3/11. Both HUP and Perelman valet will be parking cars at 3600, which should allow for more cars to use Perelman garage.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 6:22 PM

Not much (anything?) on this forum on Penn's Center for Advanced Cellular Therapeutics

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_.../2014/09/cact/

I pass this most everyday to get on 76, and construction seems to be taking forever. I'll be glad to see it finished.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 6:48 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Not much (anything?) on this forum on Penn's Center for Advanced Cellular Therapeutics

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_.../2014/09/cact/

I pass this most everyday to get on 76, and construction seems to be taking forever. I'll be glad to see it finished.
There's a thread on that! But if it's to be called that, it probably needs its name changed.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development