HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
Do you happen to know if anything is planned for this building? OR are they just holding on to it hoping someone will buy/lease it..?
I believe there was a plan for condos at one time, but nothing's going to happen anytime soon. It's a prime candidate for demolition by neglect.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 4:44 PM

In today's Spec:

Quote:
City toughens inspections on idle buildings
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 3, 2009)

The city is launching quarterly inspections of vacant buildings in hopes of preventing future collapses and spurring redevelopment.

"We're taking a proactive approach," said John Spolnik, director the building services.

The new inspection system, which heads for council approval this month, was sparked by the collapse of the Balfour building on King William Street last April.

Currently, Hamilton depends on public complaints to point it to unsafe buildings.

It's the same approach taken by all large Ontario municipalities. Now the city plans to inspect about 75 known vacant buildings every three months.

When buildings are found open to trespassers or the elements, the city will order immediate repairs. If the owners don't comply, the city will complete the work and add the cost to the property tax bill.

Spolnik expects the aggressive approach and resulting expenses will force some owners to take a hard look at buildings they may have left sitting for years.

"I'm hopeful it will stimulate the reuse of the buildings."

But he's also aware that some owners may chose to demolish their properties instead. That's likely to spark concern when many of the city's vacant buildings have heritage value.

"It's not going to be very popular with some people, but it can't go on," said downtown Councillor Bob Bratina, noting there's just not a market to support redevelopment of all the city's old buildings.

"That's too bad, but there's too many buildings that aren't viable."

The city has been lucky no one has been injured or died because of the state of Hamilton derelict buildings, he added.

"We really need to get on this," Bratina said, noting the recent snowfall and thaw only makes the situation more dangerous. "Building are going to start collapsing."

Dozens of downtown residents and business owners packed council chambers last spring to demand that the city enforce its property standards bylaw in the wake of the Balfour collapse.

Dave Kuruc, owner of Mixed Media and co-organizer of the protest, is pleased to see the city proposing a proactive approach, but says the proof will be in the execution.

"It's one thing to say they'll do it, but will they actually do it?" he said, noting he's becoming increasingly frustrated with the city's lack of enforcement.

"We're a downtown core full of modern ruins."

While many property owners on James Street are investing in their properties to help with downtown revitalization, Kuruc notes there are just as many who are content to sit on their vacant buildings waiting for their payday.

"We're the ones who are being penalized."

In recent years the city has allowed buildings damaged by fire to remain with open roofs and missing windows. Spolnik points to an old building on James Street North at Vine Street as an example.

The building, former home to a flower shop and apartments, was damaged by fire more than a decade ago, but it was water leakage that eventually made the building unsafe. The city ordered it torn down last year.

If the city forces buildings to be secure and protected, Spolnik believes it will stop further decay, which will limit the risk to public safety and potentially save the properties.

"We don't want the buildings to get to that state."

It's impossible to know if the new protocol would have prevented the Balfour collapse, he said. Legally the city can only inspect the outside of the buildings unless they have strong evidence it is unsafe and no one knows if the Balfour was showing outside damage.

Even with the new protocol, which the city plans to enforce with its current staff, there could be another collapse from hidden damage, Spolnik added.

"It will not ensure that every building in the city is safe."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 6:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's a good step in the right direction.

What if the owner doesn't pay the property tax bill?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 7:11 PM

The same rules for current property tax arrears will apply - don't pay your property tax bill and your property is auctioned off by the city to cover the arrears.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:02 PM

does anyone know anything about st. christophers school in rosedale?
they closed it this year right? any word on whats happening with the building?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:24 PM
Closed account

There are many that have been closed over time and so far from what I have seen are just sitting empty. That goes for both school boards as well. The Catholic board doesn't seem to be closing as many as the Public board.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:26 PM

It will probably be subdivided and sold for new home construction, at least that's what they often do.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It will probably be subdivided and sold for new home construction, at least that's what they often do.
A lot has to do with the locality. The locality of the one on Beach Rd. isn't great so it sits empty. I wouldn't doubt they are renting out that property to Dofasco for storage/parking. So in a way they are at least making some money off of it.

Ones I know of sit empty after closure. Add to the list if you know of others.

Closed and Empty.

One across the street from General Hospital.

Scott Park. This one at least has the pool adjoining the school though which is still be used as far as I know.

Kentley and Nash.

Beach Rd.

Closed and torn down.

Bartonville.

Bishop Ryan.

Closed and now being used for other things.

Where Barangas is.

Bell Cairn.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:45 PM

The one across from General ( West St. School) has a heritage designation. The one on Beach Rd. might too, I know it is used for movie shoots.

One of the schools in Pleasnt Valley in Dundas was demolished and subdivided, and I'm pretty sure that will be the fate of Central Park school as well.

I wonder what will happen to Dundas District? I think it is also a heritage building.

Stinson School is another with a heritage designation.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 8:50 PM
Closed account

I'm surprised Bartonville wasn't saved due to the heritage of it. But so true about that issue.

We should make a new thread for this and move these there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:21 PM

Church - Main & Balsam

Does anyone know anything about the empty church at Main & Balsam (Southwest corner)?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Does anyone know anything about the empty church at Main & Balsam (Southwest corner)?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=balsam

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The one across from General ( West St. School) has a heritage designation.
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think I read that Spallacci (King Terraces) has either bought this building or is planning to buy it from the city and turn the school into apartments - while maintaining the actual building. Could be great.

Anyone know about this?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:45 PM
Closed account

I love the steeples on the old schools.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 9:58 PM

Thanks, I figured it had been talked about here, but knew the name of the church.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 10:02 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think I read that Spallacci (King Terraces) has either bought this building or is planning to buy it from the city and turn the school into apartments - while maintaining the actual building. Could be great.

Anyone know about this?
I think someone said words to that effect in a thread in which I asked what the building was.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 10:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Thanks, I figured it had been talked about here, but knew the name of the church.
I was made to go there when I was younger. So I knew the name. I haven't been a church goer since. They kicked me out when they saw I grew some horns.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hammer'd

Additions and some changes to your list, if I may:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post

Closed and Empty.

One across the street from General Hospital. - Closed, yes, but still partially active according to a few sources. The building still has hydro and is maintained.

Scott Park. This one at least has the pool adjoining the school though which is still be used as far as I know. - Closed but definitely not empty. Rumor is that a technical college or ESL classes are using portions of the building. The front doors are often open with a car or two parked out front.

Kentley and Nash. - Yep, closed and empty. Was supposed to turn into a retirement home but it seems the plans have fallen through and the developers have abandoned it. No work on the building for at least a year now.

Beach Rd.

Closed and torn down.

Bartonville.

Bishop Ryan.

Tweedsmuir (no replacement built on site)

Queen Victoria (replacement being built on site, should open soon)

Hillcrest (replacement built on-site, currently active)

Prince of Whales (replacement being built on site, nearing completion. Should be ready for September.)

Closed and now being used for other things.

Where Barangas is.

Bell Cairn.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 11:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Additions and some changes to your list, if I may:
Thaks for that info.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 1:07 AM
Closed account

I'm trying to think of the name of the one on Beach Rd. but my brain is alseep here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues