HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 3:31 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Not so. The existing Greyhound terminal IS downtown. It is conveniently close to the highway for buses, yes, but it is conveniently walkable from Bank Street (a block and steps) and it is part of a fabric of streets and blocks that naturally takes you into the city on foot. Maybe at the time it was put there, everyone might not have seen it as "purely downtown", but today I'd venture to say only a slim minority of people would not describe this location as downtown.
The Wikipedia entry on Downtown Ottawa disagrees with you:

[Downtown Ottawa] is bordered by the Ottawa River to the north, the Rideau Canal to the east, Gloucester Street to the south and Bronson Avenue to the west. This area and the residential neighbourhood to the south are also known locally as 'Centretown'.

Quote:
That's about as stunning a rationale as I've ever seen. It's like, "oh well, we screwed up once, why don't we just screw up all the way and to hell with people and their wish for convenience." There is NO benefit in mixing the passenger rail and coach operations. They compete with one another, they basically serve the same corridors, and nobody transfers from one to the other. Nobody. There is no reason to combine the two.
Of course no one transfers between the two - it's inconvenient to do so. Take a hypothetical trip from Carleton Place to Montreal. Today, that requires a transfer in Ottawa (i.e. coaches don't go from Carleton Place to Montreal). Given the separation of the coach and train stations, few would opt to transfer from coach to train, but put them together and some may well do so. Or from Rockland to Toronto, which again requires a transfer in Ottawa. Some people would take a train one way and a coach the other, especially if it is a multi-leg trip. These are the kind of things that can start to develop because putting them together increases the number of options available to people to choose from. It's agglomeration economics.

As for your contention that there is no benefit in combining them in one place, that's patently absurd. If absolutely nothing else, and ignoring the above paragraph, it would benefit taxi operators by decreasing the variability of rides. A smaller number of operators could serve everyone just as easily, freeing up taxi capacity for use elsewhere.

An increased volume of ridership at one place would also increase the market potential for related services, like restaurants and hotels, through economies of scale.

We already have commuter coaches operating into the city, and it's likely that in a few years we'll have the first commuter trains doing the same. Future operations to the east will use both and will be operated or at least organized by the same company (i.e. the peak run or two will be by train, the others - early, late, during the day - by coach). With the downtown Transitway being wound down after the tunnel is built, it is to be expected that coaches will no longer head downtown either, so they'll need a place to terminate where they can tie into the transit system (and don't forget that the operators would want to operate coaches and trains out of the same place for the convenience of their customers). Today, we have tour buses occupying space at the train station turnaround who could be using a co-located coach terminal instead. Again, there are benefits to combining these operations into one place that is served by transit. Ideally that place would be downtown somewhere but there are costs and obstacles to doing that.

Quote:
Wellington-Commissioner-Albert would be slightly more out-of-the-way than Catherine but still sufficiently downtown, but it would still be a sub-standard location.
A location around the escarpment would be far easier to serve with transit than a location on Catherine, and it is physically closer to everything downtown than Catherine. Plus it's actually possible to route rails to it, so even if you don't buy into the idea of it as a multi-modal hub, it's still better than the current train station location as a standalone site for a train station.

From the rail perspective, it can also be tied into services to/from Quebec, so it would be possible, for example, for the steam train to Wakefield to operate directly out of downtown Ottawa.

Quote:
Really, when picking a location for a major intercity transportation facility, the selection process shouldn't be "let's see what's vacant" (or even less, "let's see who'll let us bunk with them". It should be, "where do people need to be upon arrival"?, and then go and get that land and do it there. Or close enough to "there" to be locationally valid.
I've mentioned DNDHQ before, but the response to that is something like "it'll never happen". Short of having near-dictatorial powers and lots of resources to spend, there's always going to be a trade-off between the ideal and the possible.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 7:55 AM

This is an interesting topic.

I made a list of all the relatively large cities which I either visited or lived in (other than Ottawa) and used the bus station in relation with this subject. Let's note that not all cities are structured in the same way: asian megapolises tend to have a series of business districts, such as Manila, Bangkok and Seoul. Furthermore, certain cities have chosen to separate their business district from their physical center, such as Paris. This concept of downtown being its physical, business and entertainment center appears to be predominantly a North American idea.

Most cities I visited, I reached via the plane, the train or by bike and are not included here.

Downtown bus station:

New York
Edinburgh (although it barely has a downtown)

Debatable:

Montreal (not really downtown anymore, although located directly above Berry station, with its three metro lines)

Not downtown:

Bangkok (2 stations including a huge one located directly next to a rapid transit station)
Glasgow
Daegu (4 kms from tiny business district)
Manila (far far far from any business district and next to rapid transit)
Seoul (located above an ultra busy subway station)
Kuala Lumpur (next to skytrain. It's train station is also located far outside the business district)
Busan (next to subway station and close to the airport)

I personally dislike getting to and from the bus terminal in Ottawa, specifically because of its awkward location in respect to transit. The current building is pitiful and doesn't make for a pleasurable travelling experience.

I don't find putting the new bus terminal next to the train station a bad idea. Bayview station could also be a great possibility.

Last edited by bikegypsy; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Its very simple its the mind set by alot in this city we can't have anything grand or great we can't be at the cutting edge in short we can't be a great city.Just look at the oseg bid not one major city in canada or the states would say na we rather have a giant park vs a state of the art entertainment complex.
Because you live in this city, you see the problems if this city. Although I will agree with you that the Lansdown Conservancy subject is pretty horrendous as it really is taking a city hostage. Court cases, legal issues and nimbyims are worldwide phenomenons. I lived in Montreal for nearly a decade and I couldn't believe the number of large and interesting projects which were cancelled or pushed back years specifically because of these road blocks. I've been to Bangkok recently and they have a new urban train line in the works which is creating a huge uproar.

In respect to the use of the term "cutting edge", it depends of your definition of it. To me, it has a "creating or using something new" quality. Having a bus terminal downtown is not a new idea but it is a decent one. Having the terminal at the train station is not regressive either and does push the urban edge of downtown Ottawa as other structures would soon appear around it. But ideally, what I would like to see is the current location developed with the proposed project as well a new terminal combined with rapid transit. I'm one of those who believe Ottawa should have a subway line under Bank street all the way to Lansdown, but that would be decades away if ever.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Berlin's bus station isn't downtown, neither is Paris's. Haven't been to either but they seem to be in similar types of locations 8-10km from the city centre, near highway interchanges as well as having metro service.
I was pretty sure of this, but didn't have time to confirm...
Even further still.... the 'Paris' station is not even in PARIS!
It lies outside of the Périphérique (ring road/highway) that defines (if only by popular concensus) the city limits of Paris as a city.
This bus station is in the "Banlieu"!! (the burbs)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:22 PM
Busy Beaver

Technically, New York City's station is in Midtown, not Downtown. It is not inconceivable to think that someday the area around the VIA station could evolve into something denser and more urban. Maybe something could be built to straddle the Queensway, like a new trade show centre (Montreal's done it) and highrises along Coventry and the Trainyards site instead of big box stores. If we really want to get out of our small city thinking, we need to also expand our concept of the "core"

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 6:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta View Post
I was pretty sure of this, but didn't have time to confirm...
Even further still.... the 'Paris' station is not even in PARIS!
It lies outside of the Périphérique (ring road/highway) that defines (if only by popular concensus) the city limits of Paris as a city.
This bus station is in the "Banlieu"!! (the burbs)
The Boulevard Périphérique is in fact the boundary between the city proper of Paris and its suburbs, with I believe just two significant exceptions - two large parks which lie beyond the Périph'. But as far a built-up inhabited areas go, the Périph is the border.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:14 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Ah, yes. The infallible Wikipedia.

Colloquially, most Ottawans (including myself) consider centretown/Byward Market to be downtown. It's even used in everyday vernacular.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:01 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:

[Downtown Ottawa] is bordered by the Ottawa River to the north, the Rideau Canal to the east, Gloucester Street to the south and Bronson Avenue to the west. This area and the residential neighbourhood to the south are also known locally as 'Centretown'.
Oh, sorry, I'll have to adjust my attitude then if Wikipedia says so.

Seriously. Gloucester Street to the south? The canal to the east? Sounds to me like whoever wrote that entry just looked at the OP and approximated the "Central Area" designation, which is not reflective of how Ottawans view the downtown core. As others have said, the Market is considered downtown. The greater downtown core would take up the whole area from Vanier to Chinatown and down to the Glebe, in lots of people's minds. Ask a Kanattite if they think the Glebe is "downtown", odds are they'll say yes.

Quote:
Of course no one transfers between the two - it's inconvenient to do so. Take a hypothetical trip from Carleton Place to Montreal. Today, that requires a transfer in Ottawa (i.e. coaches don't go from Carleton Place to Montreal). Given the separation of the coach and train stations, few would opt to transfer from coach to train, but put them together and some may well do so. Or from Rockland to Toronto, which again requires a transfer in Ottawa. Some people would take a train one way and a coach the other, especially if it is a multi-leg trip. These are the kind of things that can start to develop because putting them together increases the number of options available to people to choose from. It's agglomeration economics.
OK let me get this straight: we're going to plan this for the benefit of people from Carleton Place? All due respect, but... huh? Carleton Place, like many other municipalities outside Ottawa, have their own transit service. What's stopping them from running routes to Via station today? If there's enough of a market, it'll happen. This is not reading the issue correctly. The issue is:

- Who travels by coach? Where is it better for them to be when they arrive/depart?
- Who travels by train? etc.
- Are there transfers between coach and train? Who? To go where?

Intermodality, if needed, will flow from those answers. Right now, without doing any research, the pricing of coaches and trains suggests that coach service is used mostly by people who want or need to pay less, or need the hourly frequency. In both cases, being able to arrive at a location that is within walking distance of not only transit but also of an actual urban fabric with things in it, serves those passengers better.

Who travels by train? People with more money, more time (leisurely trips) or business people wanting to take it easy. The train also picks people up in a couple of little towns on the way to Montreal and Toronto, but our train service basically serves only two corridors. Unless we get a bullet train, it's practically a duplication of coach service, just more comfortable.

Quote:
As for your contention that there is no benefit in combining them in one place, that's patently absurd. If absolutely nothing else, and ignoring the above paragraph, it would benefit taxi operators by decreasing the variability of rides. A smaller number of operators could serve everyone just as easily, freeing up taxi capacity for use elsewhere.
I think you're running out of arguments. Do you know how long the waiting list is for taxi plates? Are cabbies complaining about being too busy? Are we planning the city for the benefit of taxi drivers, so they can get another monopoly like with the airport and jack everyone with their high rates? 'nuff said.

Quote:
An increased volume of ridership at one place would also increase the market potential for related services, like restaurants and hotels, through economies of scale.
Oh yeah? You want to visit Ottawa and pay for a hotel room at Tremblay Road? Great way to see the sights. Check with the Hampton Inn and ask how many of their guests come off the train. I'd be shocked if it's more than the odd one. Unless the station is within an urban fabric, it doesn't spawn new uses. People don't want to be late. If they arrive by transit, they dash into the station and take the train or bus. If they walk to the station, they might stop on the way if it's right off the sidewalk and the quick stop doesn't delay them.

When they arrive at the station from another city, people want to get to their destination. If there's nothing around a station, there's no reason to linger. If there's an actual city fabric around the station, they get pulled into the city on foot as a way to get to their destination. If the journey to the destination is fun, or interesting, or allows you to pick things up on the way, then you will proceed on foot. Otherwise, if you arrive at a station lost in the middle of a sea of grass and parking, you move along. The economies of scale are not present at Tremblay Rd., they are on Catherine St.

For any economies of scale to materialize at Tremblay Rd., you would need (aside from a connected grid of streets and blocks) a lot more round-the-clock uses, starting with employment. There isn't enough either now or planned. Besides, with the suburban setup that Via station has and the size of its site, passengers won't stray away from the station to go check out whatever else might be around. Whatever they need, they'll get at the station.

Right behind the Catherine St. station, there is at least one small bed & breakfast. Bank street is a block east. The economies of scale are created by a number of different things, the station being just one of those.

Quote:
(and don't forget that the operators would want to operate coaches and trains out of the same place for the convenience of their customers).
What convenience? When I take the Voyageur bus to Montreal I don't care where the Via train terminates.

Quote:
Today, we have tour buses occupying space at the train station turnaround who could be using a co-located coach terminal instead. Again, there are benefits to combining these operations into one place that is served by transit. Ideally that place would be downtown somewhere but there are costs and obstacles to doing that.
Tour buses respond to different patterns of travel. I know, I drove a tour bus as one of my summer jobs some time ago. They are completely unrelated to intercity service, be it train or bus. They monopolize their clientele and have their own circuits and schedules. They have their own parking at large hotels.

Quote:
A location around the escarpment would be far easier to serve with transit than a location on Catherine, and it is physically closer to everything downtown than Catherine. Plus it's actually possible to route rails to it, so even if you don't buy into the idea of it as a multi-modal hub, it's still better than the current train station location as a standalone site for a train station.

From the rail perspective, it can also be tied into services to/from Quebec, so it would be possible, for example, for the steam train to Wakefield to operate directly out of downtown Ottawa.
A really good place for a bus terminal would be the site that was proposed for the Central Library (Albert at Lyon). You would have both rapid transit service, and a city fabric, to welcome people into the city.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:08 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Ah, yes. The infallible Wikipedia.
Well I took the trouble to read the discussion page before citing it. There's a small debate in there too, but one of the participants lived in Centretown south of downtown and claimed that he and his neighbours did not consider themselves to be "downtown". In fact, I think some of the contributors to that discussion frequent this forum...

(and no, I wasn't one of them)

Quote:
Colloquially, most Ottawans (including myself) consider centretown/Byward Market to be downtown. It's even used in everyday vernacular.
You must have a different set of "most Ottawans" than I do because "most Ottawans" I know think of downtown as being the business district and usually including the Rideau Centre and possibly the Byward Market area.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:42 AM

Yikes...heaviness over maps....
I've always known Centretown as being Centretown, going from the canal in the east to Parliament Hill in the north to the Queensway in the south. The west side is blurrier, but true centretown (to me) ends at Bronson, and the area between that and Preston is a 'west-Centretown' or 'near-Centretown' area.
Gloucester street marks the southern end of the business district, but I've never heard anyone differentiate between 'downtown' and 'centretown'. Centretown contains the business district, as well as the areas I just described. In a more general sense, and especially to someone living in the suburbs, 'downtown' means Centretown or The Market.
I've never heard an argument about 'downtown' versus 'centretown'. There's no official 'downtown' district that exists in the same vein as Sandy Hill or Hintonburg of the Glebe.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 5:31 PM

Whatever happened to this project? Approved? OMB?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 5:56 PM

Proposal has just gone to the city.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7FUPZ1

Guess what councillor is against the project because of the height...

You don't want to take away from the view of the Queensway wall or ruin the heritage of car washes and car rental lots, either...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 9:37 PM
National Capital Region

rezoning recommended for approval
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...e%20Street.htm

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 2:33 AM

There are some renderings in there I've never seen before. It's beautiful. There's nothing like this in Ottawa.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 5:16 AM
Busy Beaver

Prime location for another Shoppers Drug Mart

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Prime location for another Shoppers Drug Mart
And here I was hoping for a hardware store... urban format Home Depot....

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
Citizen-at-large

It does look good, but no one get too excited about this project. Remember that it is contingent on the Greyhound terminal moving, which was an O'Brien pie-in-the-sky project, not something that real people (or even Greyhound, as I recall) were actually behind. Even if a new terminal is built, we're looking at a few years of discussion, consultation, design and construction before anything can happen at the Catherine site.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
It does look good, but no one get too excited about this project. Remember that it is contingent on the Greyhound terminal moving, which was an O'Brien pie-in-the-sky project, not something that real people (or even Greyhound, as I recall) were actually behind. Even if a new terminal is built, we're looking at a few years of discussion, consultation, design and construction before anything can happen at the Catherine site.
Agreed, though given the developer behind this application, I would be surprised if he did not have the intention of moving forward with this in some way.

If it were me, I would be buying the land across the street to move the terminal into (hopefully with a more mixed-use component).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Remember that it is contingent on the Greyhound terminal moving, which was an O'Brien pie-in-the-sky project, not something that real people (or even Greyhound, as I recall) were actually behind.
Greyhound leases the terminal from Stewart Robertson (see: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...wn-rezone.html), so they may not have a choice in the matter. The article also says that Robertson would let Greyhound stay as long as they wanted, but that can always change.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Ths is what the Planning Rationale document says:

Quote:
The subject property has been operating as a Greyhound Bus Terminal through a long term land lease agreement for the past 30 years. Greyhound has recently given notice that they do not intend to stay on as a tenant. In anticipation of potentially losing Greyhound, Crerar Silverside Corporation is planning for the future potential redevelopment of the site and seeks to expand the permitted uses beyond the existing bus station terminal.
That document was made back in February so the situtation may have changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa