HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

1050 Somerset Street West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Don't mind it above the five floor mark, the lack of originality notwithstanding. What I do have an issue with is the crap at ground floor. They blew off the recommendation of the CDP to make the podium two to three stories. They've put in pointlessly large setbacks, and they've brought the visual height of the glass frontage way to high. A five story glass atrium is not human scaled, and doesn't fit in well with the street character of Hintonburg at all.

Drop the podium to a total height of three stories and bring it out to the traditional streetfron. Give the first floor big long horizontal glass, and then on the next two stories have more traditional feeling windows. It'll do wonders for making the building seem less imposing from street level.
I thought the CDP called for 6 stories along Somerset.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:35 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
it looks exactly like the Desmarais building at Ottawa U but twice as tall. How original.
Not even close. The Desmarais building is curved in one direction, this one is curved both sides so it is thick in the middle.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Yep, but as noted in the applicants Planning Rationale doc:
Quote:
Generally, the CDP/Secondary Plan set a maximum building height of 6-storeys (20 m)
along Wellington and Somerset Streets. New buildings over four (4) storeys are required to
incorporate architectural articulation and setbacks to form a two (2) to three (3) storey base

to ensure compatibility and achieve a human scale. In order to ensure that new buildings
integrate into the existing context and maintain an urban village character, proponents need
to demonstrate how key elements of scale and detail of the traditional one (1) to three (3)
storey buildings and narrow lot sizes have been incorporated into the design. A range of
land uses are permitted, particularly pedestrian-oriented retail and commercial uses at
grade with residential uses above. A front yard setback is encouraged in order to create
additional space for pedestrians.
My bolding.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Yep, but as noted in the applicants Planning Rationale doc:

My bolding.
Exactly, the setbacks and stepbacks of the 6-storey Picadilly illustrate this form, for one example.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:12 PM
National Capital Region

28 floors on a traditional mainstreet? o.0 why isn't the west side of the LRT corridor designated Mixed Use Centre anyways?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 2:40 PM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:38 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 2:37 AM

Well, that will be an awesome location for a building of this scale, and will be a great addition to the skyline between Centretown and Hintonburg...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 8:46 AM

I'm not digging the glass wall condo thing, especially with recent attention on the long-term costs of such a building. Also, though, I think Mechanicsville-Hintonburg should have something more unique in terms of architecture in this spot, something with stone.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 12:24 PM

It would be very nice if just one of these new projects on the west side referenced the traditional main street building materials around them. in the case of Hintonburg, that would be the red brick of a number of buildings, and the grey stone of St François and the old bank (now an architect's) house.

UPDATE: and can't forget old stone Armstrong House (although it's off of the mainstreet)

Last edited by McC; Mar 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
It does, but the tower component of this building is not in the WWCDP. The CDP only extends into the first 50 feet from the street. Thus, it's 6 storeys along Somerset - in conformity with the CDP. It jumps to 28 storeys once out of the CDP area. Claridge is taking its cue from the still-to-be-finished Bayview-Carling CDP, which covers the spine of the O-Train track, which is slated for significant density. They may yet run into some difficulties on this tack. The BCCDP is likely to call for a transition in height from the low-rise residential at the edges, gradually toward the track where the density and height will be greatest. Our association is still having discussions around the height and density of the project - we've heard both cautious support and very vocal opposition - but the CDP aspect rankles a great deal. Never did we think that a firm 6-storeys means 6-storeys applies only to the first 50 feet fronting the traditional main street. Regardless of how this project works out, we need to address this loophole. It's not difficult to see how the same rationale could be used at Hinton and Hamilton at Wellington, which are also adjacent to a mixed-use centre, and at any number of properties in our community. We feel as though we were sold a bill of goods.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:07 PM

OH in the twitterverse last night: ‏

@HintonburgCA
Proposal by Claridge for 27 storey condo @ Somerset and Breezehill "on hold" accrdng to #ottcity planner. Keep following for info when avail

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:15 PM

proposal's now down to 23 storeys
http://www.openfile.ca/ottawa/blog/2...lash-building-
Quote:
Aesthetically speaking, the redesigned Claridge tower is pretty much the same. In an email, Claridge vice-president Neil Malhotra told us that the Somerset Street building "remains largely unchanged other than the height." He also forwarded along a handful of renderings of the redesigned tower, including these two aerial views:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 PM

So, that's like 12% less dead kids, right?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:26 AM

In this case I agree with the height reduction (I would probably cut it down to about 12 floors). It's fairly far from Bayview station as well as the future Gladstone station and it sort of doesn’t work for me. In terms of location/placement, it sort of reminds me of the Attika proposal on Parkdale where it was kind of close but still kind of far from a transit station and towering over a fairly narrow but yet already packed road.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In this case I agree with the height reduction (I would probably cut it down to about 12 floors). It's fairly far from Bayview station as well as the future Gladstone station and it sort of doesn’t work for me. In terms of location/placement, it sort of reminds me of the Attika proposal on Parkdale where it was kind of close but still kind of far from a transit station and towering over a fairly narrow but yet already packed road.
Twelve stories is still a considerable size, but think of the lisgar soho property, it is much smaller in total size and has been altered to 16 stories from the original 12. Or if we look to Breezehill South, and Loretta where the Dows lake area development is happening, 12 stories was seen as appropriate (debatable) a decade or more ago, but Ottawas' Councilors and Citizens alike are starting to notice - like most municipalities - that the only smart, feasible, and tangible way to sustain our standard of living and growth is through a dramatic increase of intensification, and a likewise decrease in urban expansion and sprawl, end of story.

Moreover, considering the development (somerset/ Bayswater towers, City Center, and future developments north of CC. I don't see it that way, and I live just up the street on Breezehill North. Additionally, Claridge is (unfortunately) the cities biggest and most reputable builder with a long list of previous work which demonstrated their capacity to finance and complete the building without issue. Unlike Attika, which is a relatively new development firm that has little experience and its eye on the bottom line and cutting corners. Visible from an external perspective and past projects;7, but I have inside input on this as well as a friend of mine owns 'D squared' one of Ottawas biggest ground services companies (excavating, removal, asphalt, plow, etc) and has worked with him many times and experienced this first hand (not that hes the only owner/builder to do so).

Additionally, I wouldn't agree entirely with your prerogative and classification of the area. For instance:

"The Official Plan defines High-Rise as a building of 10-storeys or more and specifies that high-rise buildings will be considered in those areas that are: characterized by high-rise buildings having direct access to arterial roads; within 600 metres of a rapid transit station; within areas identified for high-rise buildings in the Zoning By-law; a contaminated site or within areas where a built form transition is appropriate."

After examination my understanding would be that this site would qualify for all four criteria areas mentioned (for the fourth, its not contaminated but it is within area where a built transitions is appropriate, especially so when the property is examined in relation to its neighbouring properties and spacial placement.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:44 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLoveDocta View Post
This was my first though as well!!

While most of us appreciate a subtle nod to famous/significant architecture or architects... (See: PanAm Building in NYC and a dozen others modeled in it's light, or Sears Tower in Chicago, or anything that had FL Wright or Starck influences) however, THIS is bordering on design plagiarism and it's almost embarrassing.
While i agree the building is somewhat appealing, you can't recreate a building, add floors and balconies and call it new. In another city, this might go unnoticed, but 10 blocks away!?!

If you want to complain about someone plagiarising U of O buildings visit Lakehead in Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 5:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Latest renders:

from http://www.openfile.ca

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 7:54 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
If you want to complain about someone plagiarising U of O buildings visit Lakehead in Thunder Bay.
U of O's SITE and Lakehead's ATAC are by the same architectural firm, IKOY (self-plagiarism?). Curiously, the principal, Ron Keenberg sits in Lakehead's Board of Governors

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
National Capital Region

staff report - recommended for approval at 73 metres (23 floors proposed)
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...7_Somerset.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa