HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 11:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

I don't think it's any older than 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hammer'd

I was thinking that earlier this week as I passed, it certainly doesn't look more than 10 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

I know it was built before the Linc started construction. I remember I used to walk across the field before the Linc to the theatre.

I remember when I thought the cup holder on the chair was an amazing idea haha. At Limeridge you always had to bend over and pick up your popcorn or pop on the floor. I remember going to Limeridge most Tuesdays because of the deal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 12:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Upper James screens go dark

December 19, 2008
Brent Lawson
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/484405

The seven-screen Cineplex Odeon on Upper James is closed today -- the same day Cineplex officially opens its new complex in Stoney Creek.

Cineplex Entertainment, which sent out several media releases about the opening of its new 10-screen cinema, did not announce that the Upper James location was closing.

But Pat Marshall, vice-president, communications and investor relations, hinted there may still be something in the works for the Upper James location.

"We're closing the older facility. We're not in a position to announce anything beyond that at this point. So from our perspective, there's not a lot of news there. The news is really the fact that we're opening this phenomenal, new state-of-the-art theatre.

"At some point later on, if we have other news to announce, we'll announce it then."

Why is the Upper James location closing?

"Because we wanted to replace that theatre with superior assets, which is why we built the new Silver City Hamilton Mountain Cinemas," said Marshall.

Hamilton's newest cinema complex will open its doors as scheduled today after seven months of construction on the 41,000-square-foot project, said a spokesperson.

SilverCity Hamilton Mountain Cinemas features 10 screens -- including two equipped for 3-D films -- and more than 2,000 stadium-style rocker seats.

The complex, which employs more than 100 part-time staff, is located at 795 Paramount Dr. in Stoney Creek.

Customers can take advantage of a chill-out lounge, order refreshments in advance through FastLane service or buy tickets at home and scan them in on their way into the theatre.

The only signage hanging outside the old Mountain theatre last night were the weathered movie posters for the final films screened there. Nothing told moviegoers that the doors were closing.

Building general manager Clive Thompson, who has worked there since it opened 13 years ago, said they told patrons over the past few weeks about the closure, even handing out coupons for free popcorn and thanking everyone for their patronage.

Thompson deferred to head office on most questions, but said the employees have been given the option of working at the Ancaster theatre or the new facility.

"They've taken care of all of them," he said.

Most of the people heading in to see a movie last night were not aware of the closure.

"It's sad the theatre is closing," said one man as he hurried to his seat. "Stoney Creek is too far, Ancaster is too far. Now what?"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 1:57 PM

Not a huge surprise as the movie theatre business these days is competing with state of the art home theatres and a ten-year-old projection system is out-dated.

I suspect a new Silver City is in the works for the city. My bet is on it being located at the Centre Mall redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 3:52 PM

Also people have gone to theatres too often and felt ripped off... charging $10 or more for a crappy movie only works so many times before people stop going... although apparently during a recession movie theatres do very well!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Cineplex Odeon on Upper James won't sit empty for long. Something will happen with the property. I remember when that section of Upper James was a field and Odeon paid $1 million for the property. After that Upper James exploded with growth pass Stone Church.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:52 PM

Pretty sure Cineplex Odeon leases the property on Upper James - don't think it's property they own.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 4:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

They may not own it but someone does and paid $1 million. The opening of Odeon started the boom of growth on Upper James from Stone Church to Rymal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:16 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I remember when they torn down that red brick (like a little one room school house) building to build the cinemas. Barton Community Center or something it was called. Back then it was my 'off-ice hockey practice' location, so I was glad to see it go. I hated off-ice practice. Now it would've been cool if that building was still there, among all the boxes.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:19 PM
Closed account

There might not be room at the Centre for one. As I had mentioned before. I think the old Commiso building on Nash and Barton would be a good place for a theatre and already has parking. Plus the building is already empty.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 6:20 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

just go to Jackson. By far the best cinemas in town. they're quiet, you can walk around the mall, get a coffee before and/or after the movie, have dinner at Honest Lawyers.

It's a better experience then the friggin 'theme park' they have going on at SilverCity.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 7:19 PM

I like JS cinemas too.

Msme there is available space on Centre Mall property. Besides the building in the north-west corner of the property (tenant not yet identified), the old Canadian Tire location will be redeveloped once it moves to the new spot at the east end of the property. And Cineplex Odeon has a good leasing relationship with Redcliffe.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 8:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
just go to Jackson. By far the best cinemas in town. they're quiet, you can walk around the mall, get a coffee before and/or after the movie, have dinner at Honest Lawyers.

It's a better experience then the friggin 'theme park' they have going on at SilverCity.
Well I never go to movies or rarely rent them, can't afford to. Oh well, such is life.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Not a huge surprise as the movie theatre business these days is competing with state of the art home theatres and a ten-year-old projection system is out-dated.

I suspect a new Silver City is in the works for the city. My bet is on it being located at the Centre Mall redevelopment.
Same here. Why do they need to rezone the existing Canadian Tire site when it's already commercial? And who is the "attraction" tenant that the Centre Mall team has been hinting at? And why is the new theatre called "Silver City Hamilton Mountain" when they don't have a lower city location?

I've been wondering about this ever since they mentioned the rezoning.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 1:37 AM
Hammer'd

I'd be utterly surprised and very happy if a Silvercity were announced for anywhere in the inner, lower city. My problem with the cinema at JS is the fact it is lacking stadium seating. A lot of people will argue that it's just one of those Silvercity gimmicks, but I hate having to look around people's heads to see the screen. The stadium seating really is a huge improvement to the experience, in my opinion.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:01 AM

i dream of a silvercity in the wilson/rebecca/king william mega parking lot area

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:45 AM

a 2 storey movie theatre would be great downtown

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 6:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just a quick buzz.....yesterday I was informed a good rumour that a movie theatre will likely be built at Centre Mall near Ottawa St.

I can see this killing the movie theatre at Jackson Square. Same happened with Limeridge Mall with Ancaster Silver City.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 6:22 PM
Closed account

Aren't they also putting a new one in on Stonechurch complex?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton