HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:59 PM

Wish they'd just call it Railroad St. Waterfront Place doesn't fit the neighborhood or even Pittsburgh as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Whoa, that looks way better than I imagined. It's such a boring building even though it is brick at such an important intersection. Hope it turns out looking like this.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Wish they'd just call it Railroad St. Waterfront Place doesn't fit the neighborhood or even Pittsburgh as a whole.
I know a lot of us have been saying that since it was announced a while back... but now that I have been poking around Google Maps, it looks like it has always been Waterfront Place from the other end. This is from 2008:

Street View from 11th

So I suppose if you are going to connect two roads (Waterfront Place and Railroad Street) and you are trying to attract potential clients/residents you'd go with the more "high end" sounding one. I would argue it's also a lot more generic and yuppie sounding, but I digress.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
I'd prefer Waterfronte Place.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Whoa, that looks way better than I imagined. It's such a boring building even though it is brick at such an important intersection. Hope it turns out looking like this.
The original building on Eden Way is much, much nicer looking than the larger 1920s addition on 40th.

I hope this project provides some incentive to fix the Butler/40th intersection a bit more. When I think boutique hotel, I don't think right next to a Wendy's.

Last edited by eschaton; Oct 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The original building on Eden Way is much, much nicer looking than the larger 1920s addition on 40th.

I hope this project provides some incentive to fix the Butler/40th intersection a bit more. When I think boutique hotel, I don't think right next to a Wendy's.
when I think boutique hotel, I don't think "by Wyndham"

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Yeah, it's funny that a shitty, run-down Holiday Inn from the 70s somehow would fit in better with the Lawrenceville vibe than a hip, boutique corporate hotel that features all the manufactured urbanophile trappings.

I'm sure Wyndham is hiring a hipster authenticity consultant.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVC View Post
east liberty needs a public square with trees - a green space
the east end is filled with trees, except for the area known as penn circle

note also in the third photo that the virgil cantini fountain is essentially invisible - a totally wasted public asset
I agree, more trees would make things nicer and look safer. It also increases property values and makes people want to stay outside. After all, I thought everyone in the city was all about being green, despite all of the suburban bashing some like to do, we sure love to have a lot of trees, plants, and grass up here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
I know a lot of us have been saying that since it was announced a while back... but now that I have been poking around Google Maps, it looks like it has always been Waterfront Place from the other end. This is from 2008:

Street View from 11th

So I suppose if you are going to connect two roads (Waterfront Place and Railroad Street) and you are trying to attract potential clients/residents you'd go with the more "high end" sounding one. I would argue it's also a lot more generic and yuppie sounding, but I digress.
it sounds like a street in a subdivision on a golf course. Railroad Street is such a better name. I don't like a lot about the new development in the strip so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the street names reflect the bland sterile development.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
My recollection is the company that ran hotel brands such as Ramada and Days Inn bought Wyndham, and then eventually they renamed the entire hotel company that. Which isn't to say they might not be able to still pull off a decent hotel. But probably more akin to Indigo than Kimpton or Ace.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 2:46 AM

Lots of drive in supporters turned up at a meeting in Robinson, but it isn't likely to make a difference as to what happens.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/we...ime=1444401603

It would seem the Sheetz evolution continues as it mentions a drive-thru.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:09 AM

Frankly, any hotel in Lawrenceville will likely do well, just by virtue of being the only one in the neighborhood. I know when I lived there still I knew people who were frustrated that when they had friends visit there was nowhere in the neighborhood to point to them to stay (unless they crashed with them of course, or used airbnb). As far as I know the neighborhood doesn't even have a bed and breakfast.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
^What can I say. I wish they were bigger and more importantly higher quality but at the same time I can't help but be excited that the Strip and thus the city center is going to be a lot more lively and vibrant. That is a wonderful prospect.
Yeah, I hope the 18 story residential tower being proposed is a sign of a paradigm shift, but these densities are still plenty high enough to create thriving neighborhoods.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 9:40 AM

Planning Commission thoughts:

The street plan for Penn Plaza is definitely welcome. Speaking of which, the plan for the Bakery Village townhouses seems much improved, now with back access at Renning.

The old MCann Building was pretty cool, then it got trashed with the prior renovations. Although I am OK with the new use plan, can all that mesh possibly look good?

The plan for the PTC apartments is pretty good. It is too bad the PTC in general is so office-parky, but that would dramatically improve the look from 376 and Second, and the bike amenities are a nice touch.

It is a small thing, but cleaning up the Familylinks complex is good news.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 9:45 AM

So while "boutique" is a stretch, Tryp in Europe is known for decent hotels in central locations. For that reason I am pretty excited about the brand coming to Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:57 PM

Trek has gotten zoning approval for their Garden Theater apartment project:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201510100048

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:16 PM

I'm sure Tryp will do well, and I'm totally on board with how it's looking in the renderings. It's nice to see a building come back online like this – we could all go on for days listing worse uses for the space.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Frankly, any hotel in Lawrenceville will likely do well, just by virtue of being the only one in the neighborhood. I know when I lived there still I knew people who were frustrated that when they had friends visit there was nowhere in the neighborhood to point to them to stay (unless they crashed with them of course, or used airbnb). As far as I know the neighborhood doesn't even have a bed and breakfast.
I do think it's a fantastic location for a hotel now that Lawrenceville is what it is, and a really great use of the building. It gives Lawrenceville the opportunity to be a destination for those staying over from out of town, and given that all the press always mentions the neighborhood, it seems like it can't help but succeed.

The hotel will probably be fine, perhaps even quite good. It's just that someone made a dig at Wyndham and I couldn't help but comment on that aspect too. ;-)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The hotel will probably be fine, perhaps even quite good. It's just that someone made a dig at Wyndham and I couldn't help but comment on that aspect too. ;-)
I put a lot of DJs and artists up at the Wyndham downtown for Hot Mass – I've even stayed there myself for heavily booked weekends at the club. Just 9 years of ad industry work and now being deep in the hotel industry, I can't help but cringe and take a swipe when one of these large brands tries to do a "boutique". They usually butcher the whole thing by slapping their brand all over it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I put a lot of DJs and artists up at the Wyndham downtown for Hot Mass – I've even stayed there myself for heavily booked weekends at the club. Just 9 years of ad industry work and now being deep in the hotel industry, I can't help but cringe and take a swipe when one of these large brands tries to do a "boutique". They usually butcher the whole thing by slapping their brand all over it.
any idea what is ace planning to do with the incredible tile swimming pool in the basement?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations