HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:22 AM
you go on ahead

Nothing speaks to maturity and intelligence like posting a (terribly hackneyed and unfunny) meme in response to an article refuting your point!

I bet you got some good laughs when forwarding it to people who will delete it from their inbox immediately though.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 2:41 PM

When people resort to things like that it's because they know they are wrong and can't come up with anything else. I love when people consistently underestimate JT, because he always proves them wrong.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Article about JT in the New York Times Magazine

I offer this link without editorialization. It has a liberal bent, but is well done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/ma...gain.html?_r=0

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:14 PM
Regina 4 Life

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Nothing speaks to maturity and intelligence like posting a (terribly hackneyed and unfunny) meme in response to an article refuting your point!

I bet you got some good laughs when forwarding it to people who will delete it from their inbox immediately though.
The original Harper thread was also full of immature memes, and unfortunately people like you weren't around to call them out for being "hackneyed and unfunny". What a shame.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Is this worth billions?

No comments on this? This is the reason for literally billions of dollars of budget short fall.

I have been a vocal critic of this concept that "taxes can only go down for everybody", so please don't respond with another juvenile "Conservatives did it so Liberals can too" (a refrain which is getting shockingly common). Is the benefit to Canadian families here really worth the billions of dollars of budget issues this tax plan will cause? It's a serious question.

It again seems like this move is politically opportunistic in the sense that Liberals just want to be able to say they cut taxes. I think we should be doing a better job at calling out tax cuts for the reckless political opportunism they generally are - yes, including when Conservatives do it as well.

Is the benefit to Canadian families really there? Do the right people benefit from this tax cut?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:01 PM

Trudeau should cancel the tax cut and raise taxes on incomes above $200k to 35%.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:01 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
No comments on this? This is the reason for literally billions of dollars of budget short fall.
Is the benefit to Canadian families really there? Do the right people benefit from this tax cut?
The sad thing is a really simple solution to reduce the taxes for those that really needed it and still appeal to the "middle-class" would have been to increase the basic exemption ($20K?) along with the new tax bracket. Too bad

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:05 PM

I'm overall very satisfied with Trudeau, but his middle class tax cut is a bunch of nonsense since it only helps those who make well in excess of $100k a year. The overwhelming majority of Canadians live on less than that, this is nothing but pandering to upper class Canadians while looking good on paper with a 4% hike on the top 1% of tax payers, of which most won't even pay it anyways.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Trudeau should cancel the tax cut and raise taxes on incomes above $200k to 35%.
I think his voter base would be livid if he cancelled the tax cut. Just keep the the tax cut, but increase his proposed income tax increase, or add another tax bracket higher on top of the one he is proposing.

I hope for the next eletion he campaigns on increasing the corporate tax 2-3%. By that time the economy should be better.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:27 PM

Quote:
I look forward to your criticisms of Justin Trudeau once Huffington Post has told you how to think.
I guess the National Pest has already fed you the talking points.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
I hope for the next eletion he campaigns on increasing the corporate tax 2-3%. By that time the economy should be better.
This would be one of the stupidest possible things that could be done.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I guess the National Pest has already fed you the talking points.
It's amazing how you guys keep responding to this phantom conservative which isn't me.

Link me to a post where I posted an article from the Sun or the National Post? If you can't, I suppose you will apologize.

I link to the CBC, Globe and Mail, and yes, even recently, the Huffington Post regarding Liberals potentially abandoning their door to door promise.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:00 PM

I agree that many Conservative voters got lumped into the "I love Harper" camp when the reality is that few Conservatives even liked the guy. Most Conservative voters were the first one's to admit that the guy was a self-centered prick but didn't like the alternatives.

It is also true that most Conservative voters {especially in Ont/Que/Atlantic} didn't like his overall tone, personal attacks, divisive rule, and taking the party more right than it's probably ever been. Most Conservatives would have been far more comfortable with voting for the old Progressive Conservatives than Harper and co.

To say that all Conservative voters are nothing but a bunch of red-neck hillbillies is like saying that all NDP voters are nothing but hard core union members.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
This would be one of the stupidest possible things that could be done.
That's fair to say. But care to explain why? Instead of just sounding rude.

All I'm implying is more tax at the top 1%

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:05 PM

The middle class tax cut is brilliant. My family has been getting gouged by the taxman like crazy for years. Harper helped us pay down some debts and build some wealth for our hard-working family through tax credits, but never cut income taxes.

I like this move by the Liberals a lot.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:16 PM

It's true, middle income Canadians gained absolutely nothing under Harper.

He brought down the GST..........big deal. A cut in the GST overwhelmingly helps the wealthy and is geared towards them and no one else but it made for great politics at the time.

Rent, children's clothing, food, prescription drugs etc were already GST free. The poorer you are the higher level of your spending goes towards such items. The middle class home buyers got no reprieve in the mortgage amounts or other things that would help them.

The higher your disposable income the more you saved and the poor and lower/middle income saved almost nothing at all.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:27 PM

The income tax cut is very welcome, but I dislike the TSFA reduction. Since my wife and I both have jobs with pensions, our financial advisor has recommended that we save extra money for our retirement into our TSFAs instead of RRSPs, otherwise we stand to get gouged at tax time when we are retired.

The TSFA cut will make it harder for us to keep the money we work for, which we plan to use to enjoy our golden years (which is the reason we work so damn hard right now in the first place).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
The income tax cut is very welcome, but I dislike the TSFA reduction. Since my wife and I both have jobs with pensions, our financial advisor has recommended that we save extra money for our retirement into our TSFAs instead of RRSPs, otherwise we stand to get gouged at tax time when we are retired.

The TSFA cut will make it harder for us to keep the money we work for, which we plan to use to enjoy our golden years (which is the reason we work so damn hard right now in the first place).
You should sign this petition to the Minister of Finance then.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:35 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It's true, middle income Canadians gained absolutely nothing under Harper.

He brought down the GST..........big deal
he poorer you are the higher level of your spending goes towards such items. The middle class home buyers got no reprieve in the mortgage amounts or other things that would help them.

The higher your disposable income the more you saved and the poor and lower/middle income saved almost nothing at all.
WOW. the "what have you done for me lately crowd" is out in force today.

Under Harpo's watch, there was a noticable increase in the basic exemption level which did WAY MORE to reduce taxes then the Libbie "middle income" cut.

In 2014, the PBO (never a friend to the Conbots) stated that Canadians paid $17.1 Billion LESS income taxes than if had none of Harpo's income tax cuts been implemented over the past 8 years. (this excludes the 13.3B savings in GST cuts). LINK

But go ahead and complain, why let the truth get in the way of facts

Do something about your future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada