HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
At such growth rates, I forecast the Mexican refugee camp where they're getting parked will be overtaking Toronto in population in only three and a half years

(i.e. the very next census, 2021, should already show the GTA having slipped to #2 with MexicanAsylumSeekerVille-in-Canada holding the #1 spot)
I knew this post was you even before I saw your name on it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I knew this post was you even before I saw your name on it.
As SSP Canada's resident mathematician-physicist, I feel like it's my duty to handle such future population projections for the community.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
As SSP Canada's resident mathematician-physicist, I feel like it's my duty to handle such future population projections for the community.
I am also good at recognizing KW even before I see his name!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:37 PM

Reuters/IPSOS poll on immigration. Lots of charts...bottom line is nearly half (48%) want to send illegal immigrants coming in from the U.S. back.

"Fleeing Trump"

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx...0FW/index.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:06 PM

I'm guessing some of those people know they're going to be removed from the USA because they're there TOO illegally. The other seem to be refugees confused about U.S political policy and believe that they'll be thrown out because of Trump (even though they won't) so they fled here.

They should absolutely be sent back to the U.S if they've already under the American refugee system (and allowed to be living in the U.S). The illegal ones who are not supposed to be in the U.S or Canada should be deported back to their own countries of origin.

Illegal immigration should not at all ever be tolerated.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:14 PM

Serious question - would the USA agree to "take back" someone who crossed illegally into Canada if that person had not been legally in the USA when they crossed the border? It's academic if the person has sought refugee status in Canada, because they then have to go through the Canadian determination process. However, it seems to me that from the U.S. perspective, that person is now "off their books" and would be seen as Canada's problem to deal with. I seriously doubt that they would let them come back in.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:32 PM

This article focuses on Europe, but it is still interesting and corrects some misconceptions about global migration (including many I had):

Myths of Migration: Much of What We Think We Know Is Wrong.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:25 PM

Number of people intercepted by the RCMP at the border this year. The numbers for Ontario contradict the numbers I posted a while ago. I guess it makes sense that nobody crossed the Ontario border illegaly since it it 99.9% water. But 0 in Alberta and NB? Only 5 in Saskatchewan? I guess because Greyhound does not stop near the border in those places and no significant cities are close enough to the border. (not really true in New Brunswick, St.Stephen is right on the border.. but is there a bus service at all between the US and NB?)

•New Brunswick: 0 (January 2017) 0 (February 2017) 0 (total)
•Quebec: 245 (January 2017) 432 (February 2017) 677 (total)
•Ontario: 0 (January 2017) 0 (February 2017) 0 (total)
•Manitoba: 19 (January 2017) 142 (February 2017) 161 (total)
•Saskatchewan: 5 (January 2017) 0 (February 2017) 5 (total)
•Alberta: 0 (January 2017) 0 (February 2017) 0 (total)
•British Columbia: 207 (January2017) 84 (February 2017) 291 (total)
•Total: 476 (January 2017) 658 (February 2017) 1134 (total)

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/na...ere-bondit.php

Last edited by le calmar; Mar 22, 2017 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:33 PM

^ AB and SK's low numbers are probably due to relative distance from big US cities with immigrant/refugee populations. No one in Minneapolis will bother going to SK when MB is closer.

NB on the other hand is fairly close to the big eastern seaboard US cities so you'd think there would be at least a few. Not sure why no one has crossed there, though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:47 PM

They could still have crossed there, but the RCMP was not watching this specific area thus nobody has been intercepted.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:18 PM

This is scandalous and a complete affront to our legal system.

These people know ahead of time that they cannot claim refugee status at a border so their first act upon arriving is to make sure they circumvent the law. If they have the technical "right" to claim refugee status then fine...........send them to the nearest border crossing, give them a 10 minute hearing and quickly send them back over the border.

These people are just cue jumpers and country shoppers, nothing more. The refugee laws in the US have not changed one iota and these people are not fleeing for their lives or safety although they are more than willing to put their children's safety in danger by walking thru frigid winter temperatures. That to my way of thinking is child endangerment...........chuck the parents back over the border and give the children to the state Child Protection Agency.

All the bleeding hearts forget that Canada has a set maximum number of refugees we accept during a year and for everyone of these border criminals we accept, that is one more true refugee that will be sent back.

The silence from Trudeau is deafening and undermines what little trust Canadians have in their immigration system and helps reinforce the widespread notion that most of our refugees are not political ones but rather economic.

Last edited by ssiguy; Mar 23, 2017 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:40 PM
Heart of the Continent

You know, spouting the same ignorance over and over doesn't make it more true.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
You know, spouting the same ignorance over and over doesn't make it more true.
But the ILLEGAL ILLEGALS are so ILLEGAL that it makes my blood boil!

...ILLEGAL!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
This article focuses on Europe, but it is still interesting and corrects some misconceptions about global migration (including many I had):

Myths of Migration: Much of What We Think We Know Is Wrong.
I found this little tidbit in the article interesting:

"Also, claims that highly developed welfare systems, such as those that exist in Germany and the Netherlands, attract more migrants than countries with a less generous social net like the United Kingdom or the U.S., have likewise never been proven."

I think the fact that this is written in a Der Spiegel article makes it very suspect (so does using the phrase "never been proven: i.e. no-one ever bothered to look into it), especially since literally millions of migrants were and are still determined to get to Germany and no place else.

In fact, reading through the article, it seems to placate those opposing open borders with a few crumbs here and there while in reality standing firm on a lot of the same old talking points of the past. It even ends with an implied threat that wealth will decrease if we restrict migration. Who's wealth? And even if it's yours, is that your only priority in life?

Of course, I WOULD think this though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
I found this little tidbit in the article interesting:

"Also, claims that highly developed welfare systems, such as those that exist in Germany and the Netherlands, attract more migrants than countries with a less generous social net like the United Kingdom or the U.S., have likewise never been proven."

I think the fact that this is written in a Der Spiegel article makes it very suspect (so does using the phrase "never been proven: i.e. no-one ever bothered to look into it), especially since literally millions of migrants were and are still determined to get to Germany and no place else.

In fact, reading through the article, it seems to placate those opposing open borders with a few crumbs here and there while in reality standing firm on a lot of the same old talking points of the past. It even ends with an implied threat that wealth will decrease if we restrict migration. Who's wealth? And even if it's yours, is that your only priority in life?

Of course, I WOULD think this though.
Wasn't it a Dutch guy who wrote the article? The part about most wanting to get to Germany and nowhere else isn't hard to believe. These people are overwhelmingly economic refugees (don't let others here tell you otherwise) and Germany is one of the few places where economic opportunity exists. Countries like Greece are the last place they want to stay in.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:15 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
These people are overwhelmingly economic refugees (don't let facts tell you otherwise).
Fixed.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Fixed.
The EU is now pretty open about the fact that a majority of migrants they see are from peaceful countries and are coming for economic reasons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6836306.html

Also consider that this does not include countries where there is war, but it's limited in nature such that many migrants from those places are eventually rejected. Surprisingly, even some migrants from Syria are rejected because the war is not all encompassing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:13 AM
Still optimistic

That guestimation is a bit off, considering that in the EU, over 60% of them were found to be refugees in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That guestimation is a bit off, considering that in the EU, over 60% of them were found to be refugees in 2016.
This is a prime example of how statistics can be massaged.

"Figure 8 provides an analysis of the outcome of first instance decisions. Though refugee and subsidiary protection status are defined by EU law, humanitarian reasons are specific to national legislation and are not applicable in some of the EU Member States.

In 2016, three fifths (61 %) [4] of EU-28 first instance asylum decisions resulted in positive outcomes, that is grants of refugee or subsidiary protection status, or an authorisation to stay for humanitarian reasons (see Figure 8). For first instance decisions, some 54 % of all positive decisions in the EU-28 in 2016 resulted in grants of refugee status"

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...(%25)_YB17.png

So basically 54% of 61% (that's 33%) of applicants were granted official refugee status under the UN convention. Another 28% were granted subsidiary protection status or leave to stay on humanitarian grounds. Looking at Figure 8 (link) shows that some governments are a lot more generous with those than others, probably based on political agendas.

The language of the UN charter of refugees is pretty clear, but 67% of applicants don't meet those requirements. Each country has different criteria for allowing some of the others to stay, I for one would want to carefully examine what these criteria are if I were a citizen of one of these countries.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Fixed.
WTF is your problem? It's a known fact that the vast majority of the migrants who came to Europe did so for economic reasons. Don't pull that "fixed" shit because your incorrect view of the world is being exposed as one big lie.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada