HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Enbridge is sucking up vacant space in Edmonton like crazy right now. By the spring they should be occupying 35+ floors of CBD space with a rumour that they could be going on another hiring spree shortly in Edmonton
Enbridge is looking to hire around 2500 people this year. Just over a thousand for Edmonton and around 600 or so for Calgary. I'm sure that will help boost a tower or two for Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:44 PM
Community Guy

Maybe not a new tower themselves, but they will push vacancy down nicely and get some wheels turning.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:11 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Maybe not a new tower themselves, but they will push vacancy down nicely and get some wheels turning.
It would definitely suck up space enough to push start some new construction. Maybe a new tallest!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:14 PM
Community Guy

Manulife 2 would be just that... at 161m.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 7:14 PM
Editor

Good to hear CCC looks the most likely. Although Brookfield is the tallest of the bunch at 227m, It would be built on an already used lot and possible heritage building. Centennial III and CCC are on empty lots, or in the case of CCC an underutilized lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
CCC is almost assuredly a go, expect to hear definitive confirmation within the next couple months. At this point it would take a major event to derail it.

My next bet would be Centennial III which I am also quite sure will go ahead within the next 12 months, although this one is slightly less certain than CCC.

Brookfield's project is still a coin toss due to its size and preleasing requirements as well as a few tricky encumbrances the site has to deal with in order to move forward.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Manulife 2 would be just that... at 161m.
200m would be a lot nicer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 8:52 PM
Community Guy

So would 300m

161 would be more than fine.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It would definitely suck up space enough to push start some new construction. Maybe a new tallest!
Companies I worked for gave about 500sqft per employee (includes common spaces like bathrooms, kitchen, hallway, emergency exit routes, meeting spaces, etc.). More space if executives and less for call centre staff.

1000 employees is only about 50,000 sqft or 3 to 5 floors of a typical office building. A good sized lease but if they're not consolidating other staff into the same building, they won't even be the major tenant.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Scotiabank considers selling Toronto tower
Could be Canada's biggest commercial real estate deal

Scotiabank is in the early stages of hunting for buyers interested in Scotia Plaza, its skyscraper headquarters in downtown Toronto that could be worth as much as $1 billion.

The bank said Thursday that a sale of the second-tallest office tower in the country is being explored as part of Scotiabank's regular review of its operations.

"In the current low-interest rate environment, it's potentially a good time to sell and we have chosen to explore the sale of Scotia Plaza," bank spokeswoman Ann DeRabbie said in an email.
from CBC http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ank-tower.html

If this happens then no Canadian bank will own its namesake tower anymore, and could mark the ceremonial end of an era on Bay Street.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Companies I worked for gave about 500sqft per employee (includes common spaces like bathrooms, kitchen, hallway, emergency exit routes, meeting spaces, etc.). More space if executives and less for call centre staff.

1000 employees is only about 50,000 sqft or 3 to 5 floors of a typical office building. A good sized lease but if they're not consolidating other staff into the same building, they won't even be the major tenant.
You missed a decimal place there on one of those numbers. 1000*500=500,000.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
You missed a decimal place there on one of those numbers. 1000*500=500,000.
I was gonna say... 1000 employees take up a hell of a lot more than 3-5 floors, unless everyone has a 2x2 (feet) cubicle and they're stacked 3 high per floor!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
If this happens then no Canadian bank will own its namesake tower anymore, and could mark the ceremonial end of an era on Bay Street.
Please clarify.
Very few banks actually own the towers they have offices in. It is not the type of business banks are in.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:09 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton - Stationlands 2 by Qualico (beside Epcor to the east and adjacent to the new Royal Alberta Museum)

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6...e3a1b773f7.jpg)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
Please clarify.
Very few banks actually own the towers they have offices in. It is not the type of business banks are in.
He is saying exactly what you are, that if Scotia Bank sells its HQ building, then NONE of the big Toronto banks will own their own HQ buildings anymore.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
gettin' rich!

Scotiabank is planning on selling their Toronto headquaters, they want to invest the cash.

Suggested Retail Price, $1 Billion Dollars Most expensive commercial real estate deal in Canadian history.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
Look at me!

Buying a 20+ year old office building for 1 billion doesn't seem like a wise investment. What'll be their return on investment there? How long before whoever buys it sees a penny out of it?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Edmonton - Stationlands 2 by Qualico (beside Epcor to the east and adjacent to the new Royal Alberta Museum)

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6...e3a1b773f7.jpg)
Not a bad looking proposal, hopefully Manulife II goes ahead before this one does though, just to be sure it happens, I really like the render we saw for Manulife.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Buying a 20+ year old office building for 1 billion doesn't seem like a wise investment. What'll be their return on investment there? How long before whoever buys it sees a penny out of it?
Exactly why BNS is selling. If a sucker is willing to pay $1B, it is a great deal for BNS.

BNS isb't even the original owner of that tower. It was built by Campeau. I remember watching it rise when I worked in TD complex.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:11 AM

Harold square will be well above 200 meters with their proposal. i also don't see centennial or Jamison as dressed up boxes. especially centennial. i think its a quality tower over all. really, who knows what type of proposals might come out of a office boom in Calgary at this point. its just warming up and anything could come down the pipe. i myself always feel another signature tower is only seconds away when it comes to Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:31 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post

That's a lot of real estate. 1000 employees is closer to 100,000 square feet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada