HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:23 PM

Austin Downtown Districts

I was hoping we could compare districts in downtown Austin. Such as development, architecture, ground level interaction, etc. I found this map though the accuracy of it can be debated.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:40 PM
Meh

I always sort of have a hard time with districts. It seems like each map is different than the next on where the boundaries are and then the areas that aren't defined as being within one are this weird gray area. Of course, the Capitol sits within the Texas Capitol complex. And I've heard the Arts District called Uptown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:44 PM

I always thought the Arts District was called the Financial District. Also, I thought the development on the west was West End, but it looks like that's all west of Lamar. West Campus and Rainey St. Are missing also. Regardless of the lame map, it'd be cool to see how the hotels of the convention center compare to the condos of The Market district, or West Campus apartments to Rainey st., etc.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I refer everything west of Guadalupe as the West End and most people that I know refer to it the same as well (but not all, those just call it DT). It's being pushed as the Market district but having Whole Foods and more recently Trader Joe's plus a small farmers market on Saturday mornings doesn't make an area a Market District. IMO market districts are much more than that including large open air or covered markets, (not your typical weekend farmers market either) I'm talking large open permanent markets. Now if we start seeing more market type activity and businesses pop up then okay but I'm quite content with calling it the West End.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 10:01 PM
Resident Moron

Probably not accidentally all of the "districts" labeled here are pretty good for street level interaction. The white areas as the black holes of downtown for the most part.

I mean, I guess the convention center area is a bit lacking, but it's a convention center area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin