HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:24 PM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 44,585
There would have to be VBulletin [flickr] or something to install on the forum and use that, because we don't use HTML here.

There is one but it seems to only be available for VB4 and up.
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:47 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 11,710
A couple things I like about another forum I frequent are the thanks button and thread rating.

The thanks button is simply a way to reward people for useful/informative/insightful/interesting posts.

The thread rating is a rating of 1 to 5 stars.

Not sure if a thanks button could be added to this forum, but I'm pretty sure thread rating could be added.
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:11 PM
mr.John mr.John is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,903
Maybe we have to accept the fact that the forum can't be improved, people don't come to this site to view photos, most of the time I see 70-100 people viewing a section with only 5-8 actual members, and if you go to ssc it's even worse despite the fact they have 15 times more members...maybe if you allow guests to make comments things might get interesting
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:33 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 5,991
Yeah, I was wondering that myself.. I'm not sure if there is a rule that a photothread must actually contain photos and not merely a link to someone's Flickr page...
__________________
Hunan, China 1 | Hunan, China 2 | Hong Kong | NYC 2 | NYC 1 | Florence | Venice | Rome | London | Paris


Flickr®
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:03 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Registered Putz
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 22,596
The problem with the photography forums is that unless you're one of handful of select photographers, you're simply not going to get views or comments you'd like which is disconcerting and kills any desire to create any future photothreads. This is not a professional photo forum but I think many forget that aspect.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:06 PM
Okayyou's Avatar
Okayyou Okayyou is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Yeah, I was wondering that myself.. I'm not sure if there is a rule that a photothread must actually contain photos and not merely a link to someone's Flickr page...
The guy has done it several times before. I thought he maybe didn't know how so I commented on one of his threads telling him people usually make photothreads and supplied instructions of how to do so. Guess he is just lazy. I think it degrades the forum's integrity if people just start posting links.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:13 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (Lakeview East)
Posts: 19,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The problem with the photography forums is that unless you're one of handful of select photographers, you're simply not going to get views or comments you'd like which is disconcerting and kills any desire to create any future photothreads. This is not a professional photo forum but I think many forget that aspect.
I agree. It's one of the reasons I've only posted a few clusters of photos on a couple of threads as of late, and haven't done any of my own photothreads. Nowhere near enough comments, either good or bad. Lack of response is definitely keeping the photo forums pretty quiet nowadays.

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:29 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 11,710
Replies are down across the board, I used to get like 40 comments every time. But my threads got fewer comments in 2012: 13, 17, 25, 21, 35, 40, 28, 39, 26, and 36. The biggest difference is that in the "good old days" you would get a bunch of replies right away. Now there are days or even weeks between replies.
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:49 PM
LSyd's Avatar
LSyd LSyd is offline
Red October standing by
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbia/Sumter, SC
Posts: 16,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
The guy has done it several times before. I thought he maybe didn't know how so I commented on one of his threads telling him people usually make photothreads and supplied instructions of how to do so. Guess he is just lazy. I think it degrades the forum's integrity if people just start posting links.
i clicked his link; the photos look good and interesting, but i'm too lazy to go through all of those on flickr...which is why photothreads are awesome.

-
__________________
"The vapors! The fainting couch! Those heartless elitists are burning down the plantation with their logic and arithmetic!"

-fflint
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:33 PM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 44,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I agree. It's one of the reasons I've only posted a few clusters of photos on a couple of threads as of late, and haven't done any of my own photothreads. Nowhere near enough comments, either good or bad. Lack of response is definitely keeping the photo forums pretty quiet nowadays.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Unknown towns and locales on the side can prompt more interest because it's not one of the same old large cities you see all the time.

Including a photo that would prompt a reaction in addition would be more liekly to prompt a reply, such as one time LSyd here commented on my picture of an old Buffalo fire box thing on the sidewalk.

And then there's slanting a thread into a city discussion, that some have done without even trying, usually when ridiculous assumptions and premises are put forward that pertain to the reason for the particular photographs they presented.

And stuff......
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:24 PM
Okayyou's Avatar
Okayyou Okayyou is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Unknown towns and locales on the side can prompt more interest because it's not one of the same old large cities you see all the time.

Including a photo that would prompt a reaction in addition would be more liekly to prompt a reply, such as one time LSyd here commented on my picture of an old Buffalo fire box thing on the sidewalk.

And then there's slanting a thread into a city discussion, that some have done without even trying, usually when ridiculous assumptions and premises are put forward that pertain to the reason for the particular photographs they presented.

And stuff......
I don't know about that first point. Yes, some unknown locales might generate interest but of the many places I've made threads of, the familiar are more popular than the unknown.

Second point is dead on. Want replies, make a thread showing decay in Detroit.

Yes, traffic is down across the boards, but we are at a chicken and egg argument. Do people post less because traffic is down or is traffic down because people are posting less. I would argue, and have in this thread, a lot of people have left the site because the photo forums are overrun with noise. Lots of ways to increase the signal strength but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:11 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (Lakeview East)
Posts: 19,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
I don't know about that first point. Yes, some unknown locales might generate interest but of the many places I've made threads of, the familiar are more popular than the unknown.

Second point is dead on. Want replies, make a thread showing decay in Detroit.

Yes, traffic is down across the boards, but we are at a chicken and egg argument. Do people post less because traffic is down or is traffic down because people are posting less. I would argue, and have in this thread, a lot of people have left the site because the photo forums are overrun with noise. Lots of ways to increase the signal strength but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.
What message is that, exactly? I wish I were able to program in vBulletin, alas I'm not. I am still working on getting some of the proposed changes implemented, but it's not just an easy fix and a few code changes, unfortunately.

Give me some time, hopefully I can get one of our Admins that DOES know how to do some programming to see what they can do to try and get some of the changes accomplished.

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris, St. Petersburg & Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it." The New Yorker Jan. 9, 1989
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:31 PM
Okayyou's Avatar
Okayyou Okayyou is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
What message is that, exactly? I wish I were able to program in vBulletin, alas I'm not. I am still working on getting some of the proposed changes implemented, but it's not just an easy fix and a few code changes, unfortunately.

Give me some time, hopefully I can get one of our Admins that DOES know how to do some programming to see what they can do to try and get some of the changes accomplished.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Well that is what I meant by those able to do so. The only response I saw from one of the Admins was a while back, along the lines of 'Last time we tried a change, things went badly.' So far most of the ideas pitched feel like they are falling on deaf ears. If you guys are working on stuff that is good news, but this is the first response to indicate this. Thanks for taking this up Glowrock.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:36 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Registered Putz
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 22,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
....but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.
Bear in mind that we (mods and admins) actually have jobs and careers outside of this forum and the last I checked, we really haven't come up with a consensus as what to do...only that we need to make some changes and that some vbulletin stuff is involved (something neither glowrock nor myself are familiar with) but when we are, I can get with Dylan or Mike to implament those changes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM
LSyd's Avatar
LSyd LSyd is offline
Red October standing by
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbia/Sumter, SC
Posts: 16,823
i like the idea of a "regularly updated thread" section, so we don't drown in seeing someone's one week vacation unfold over three months.

-
__________________
"The vapors! The fainting couch! Those heartless elitists are burning down the plantation with their logic and arithmetic!"

-fflint
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:53 PM
Okayyou's Avatar
Okayyou Okayyou is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
i like the idea of a "regularly updated thread" section, so we don't drown in seeing someone's one week vacation unfold over three months.

-
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think sounds like the most agreed upon fix. Move the regularly updated threads to another spot.

Second seems to be do something about the old threads getting bumped. While I don't mind this as much it does get ridiculous when the thread is 4 yrs old and the thread starter isn't even an active user anymore.

A possible solution: make a section for all new threads, A-Z. Threads stay there for 2 weeks, then drop out into the A-M & N-Z sections. That way, the 3-5 photos at a time eventually drop out and the old bumped threads never make it back to the new section.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 PM
M II A II R II K's Avatar
M II A II R II K M II A II R II K is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 44,585
That could work, if it's programmed to automatically move threads after a specified amount of time after the thread was first posted.
__________________
ASDFGHJK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:56 AM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think sounds like the most agreed upon fix. Move the regularly updated threads to another spot.

Second seems to be do something about the old threads getting bumped. While I don't mind this as much it does get ridiculous when the thread is 4 yrs old and the thread starter isn't even an active user anymore.

A possible solution: make a section for all new threads, A-Z. Threads stay there for 2 weeks, then drop out into the A-M & N-Z sections. That way, the 3-5 photos at a time eventually drop out and the old bumped threads never make it back to the new section.
I like the regularly updated thread section. I'd totally be down for that.

And call me crazy, but I like the random bumped threads.
I've seen some incredibly stuff that I would have missed otherwise because of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:24 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Registered Putz
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 22,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I like the regularly updated thread section. I'd totally be down for that.
Let's do it. I'll get with someone who is familair with forum software to look into implamenting this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 8:03 AM
Illithid Dude's Avatar
Illithid Dude Illithid Dude is offline
Paramoderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Santa Monica / New York City
Posts: 2,732
Yay!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.