HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
What do you mean by a perfect match for its location? Why must outlet stores be built in green fields development on the edge of the city?
Where else would you rather have them build it?

I think the current location is a perfect match as well.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 3:03 PM

Outlet shopping != urban shopping. They're completely incompatible and opposite with each other.

Ottawa's getting a good amount of urban retail, too. Don't fret.

Something like this that needs a sea of parking is best suited for the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Outlet shopping != urban shopping. They're completely incompatible and opposite with each other.

Ottawa's getting a good amount of urban retail, too. Don't fret.

Something like this that needs a sea of parking is best suited for the middle of nowhere.
From the consumer's perspective there is no incompatibility. City dwellers binge shop for deals too. If there's an incompatibility, it's on the economics of building it. I look at some of our aging malls, Lincoln Fields, Westgate, Merivale Mall etc. and think that this sort of destination retail could revive them, but perhaps the economics of redeveloping these sites don't work out. Does this mean we have to accept green fields development? If the choice is between "sea of parking" in the "middle of nowhere" and not building it at all, not building it is still an option.

My concern is not with the lack of urban retail, it's with sprawl. We get quite agitated on this forum when people oppose an intensification project. Urban obstructionists deserve our ire because their obstruction indirectly contributes to more sprawl. Shouldn't we then reserve a little criticism for the people who are, you know, actually building the sprawl?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post

Also - I found that the product selection/pricing to be very underwhelming. I guess I've been spoiled by the US outlet experience. Let's not get our hopes up too high.
I've never been impressed with the prices at Canadian outlet malls.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbria27 View Post
From the consumer's perspective there is no incompatibility. City dwellers binge shop for deals too. If there's an incompatibility, it's on the economics of building it. I look at some of our aging malls, Lincoln Fields, Westgate, Merivale Mall etc. and think that this sort of destination retail could revive them, but perhaps the economics of redeveloping these sites don't work out. Does this mean we have to accept green fields development? If the choice is between "sea of parking" in the "middle of nowhere" and not building it at all, not building it is still an option.

My concern is not with the lack of urban retail, it's with sprawl. We get quite agitated on this forum when people oppose an intensification project. Urban obstructionists deserve our ire because their obstruction indirectly contributes to more sprawl. Shouldn't we then reserve a little criticism for the people who are, you know, actually building the sprawl?
Places like Lincoln Fields and Westgate are likely to get redeveloped as residential. Especially Lincoln Fields.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:44 AM

According to the following job posting, Beavertales is going to Tanger Outlets:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-bar-food-hopi...ationFlag=true

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:08 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
According to the following job posting, Beavertales is going to Tanger Outlets:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-bar-food-hopi...ationFlag=true
A BeaverTails Outlet? What, for all the scratch-and-dent pastries that come out of the frier?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
A BeaverTails Outlet? What, for all the scratch-and-dent pastries that come out of the frier?
Perhaps it will just be lower-grade fried dough with a premium BeaverTails label slapped on it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:08 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've never been impressed with the prices at Canadian outlet malls.
Me neither.

I was in the Settler's Green Outlet mall in North Conway, NH this summer. Even there the prices were underwhelming.. unless you're looking for shoes!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Me neither.

I was in the Settler's Green Outlet mall in North Conway, NH this summer. Even there the prices were underwhelming.. unless you're looking for shoes!
I was there in late August and found the same thing. Bass Outlets had some good sales and that was about it. In the past outlet stores sold stuff with slight imperfections or last years styles. Now I find they tend to sell lesser quality products but without direct imperfections etc.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 7:34 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I was there in late August and found the same thing. Bass Outlets had some good sales and that was about it. In the past outlet stores sold stuff with slight imperfections or last years styles. Now I find they tend to sell lesser quality products but without direct imperfections etc.
What we really need are Shopper's Drug Mart outlets.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tanger outlet opening signals maturation of Ottawa's retail scene

Vito Pilieci, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 16, 2014, Last Updated: October 16, 2014 7:32 PM EDT

The mammoth Tanger Outlet mall in Kanata will act as a beacon for shoppers and attract more visitors to Ottawa, according to a local retail industry analyst.

The 350,000-square-foot shopping centre, which cost more than $115 million to build and opens on Friday, introduces 80 new stores to the area in the only large-scale outlet shopping centre between Montreal and Toronto. It’s a sign that Ottawa’s retail scene is maturing and offering options that will actually draw shoppers into the region, said to Barry Nabatian, director of market research for Shore-Tanner & Associates

“The Tanger facility will significantly add to the choice of shopping for Ottawa and Gatineau. It is supposed to be a quality/brand name discount store, which is exactly what is needed,” said Nabatian. “It will be the only outlet mall between Montreal and Toronto and most likely it will attract shoppers from between these two large cities, and there will be some cross-shopping by them as a result.”

Nabatian said retailers have done an admirable job of reshaping the landscape in Ottawa over the past decade. The new Tanger Outlets will be flanked by another massive retail development spearheaded by Broccolini/Laurentide Holdings, which will include a Bass Pro Shop as its anchor tenant. However, new retail space at Lansdowne Park, the expansion of the Rideau Centre, the Ottawa Train Yards shopping centre and the expansions of the Bayshore Shopping Centre and the St. Laurent Centre have all provided Ottawa shoppers with more places to shop and more selection.

Nabatian believes that construction in retail will likely slow in the years ahead as many areas, including downtown, will now find that they have reached the maximum number of stores that can be supported by consumers. However, he said retailers will shift their focus to areas such as the city’s south end, where construction continues at a breakneck pace and consumers have very few choices about where to shop.

“Barrhaven in particular is now under-stored, and this shortage will be felt more with the additional traffic and exposure from Strandherd Bridge,” said Nabatian. “With an average population growth of about 11,000 per year in Ottawa, more retail space is continuously needed, especially in Barrhaven, Kanata, and Orléans.”

Nabatian said the creation of the Tanger Outlets, coupled with the Broccolini/Laurentide Holdings development and Canadian Tire Centre will create a destination for shopping and entertainment in the city’s west end that will likely attract further development.

Ottawa is of particular interest to retailers. The average household income is $98,000, and more than 40 per cent of households bring home more than $100,000 annually, making the capital one of the wealthiest cities in the country. Ottawa shoppers spend more than $15.3 billion on retail annually.

Ottawa shops collect, on average, $475 per square foot in retail sales annually. In other Canadian cities, shoppers spend between $250 and $350 per square foot annually.

Tanger chief executive Steve Tanger said the continued strength of the city’s economy made filling the outlet mall with high-end tenants an easy task.

Friday’s grand opening will commence with a ribbon-cutting at 10 a.m. Celebrations will continue throughout the day with numerous special events, and fireworks will be set off after dusk.

Vpilieci@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/vpilieci

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...s-retail-scene

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:06 PM
National Capital Region

Good info re: Huntmar sidewalks. Don't plan on walking on the bridge any time soon.
http://stittsvillecentral.ca/why-are...tmar-overpass/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Good info re: Huntmar sidewalks. Don't plan on walking on the bridge any time soon.
http://stittsvillecentral.ca/why-are...tmar-overpass/
This is biggest problem this city has. They always build everything first, then finally get around the infrastructure around it.

I grew up in the east end and watched this over and over. Building all the houses, stores whatever and then they finally get around widening roads, building sidewalks, transitways, interchanges etc. It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:17 PM

A whole lot of cars there for workers doing finishing work on the stores when I took this photo on the 12th:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:35 PM

Is it just me or does that parking lot look rather small relative to size of the building given the lack of access via other modes of transport?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:56 PM
National Capital Region

Apparently traffic is madness this morning. 417 backed up to Bayshore. People parking at CTC and walking to Tanger.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:02 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Is it just me or does that parking lot look rather small relative to size of the building given the lack of access via other modes of transport?
This was announced a week ago in case you missed it:

Quote:
New OC Transpo service to Tanger Outlets
http://ottawa.ca/en/news/new-oc-tran...tanger-outlets

But yes, the parking does seem a tad on the small side.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:08 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Apparently traffic is madness this morning. 417 backed up to Bayshore. People parking at CTC and walking to Tanger.
Here's the 417 at Kanata traffic cam:

Just for fun I also checked the google maps app on my phone with "show traffic" set. It shows a solid red line westbound from about Moodie to the mall. LOL.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:09 PM

I imagine the primary users of bus service will be employees, though. I can't see such a place being a preferred shopping destination among the transit dependent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs