HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Portland to tear down SE Portland strip club to build affordable housing

Those seeking adult entertainment in Portland will soon have one less destination in the city known nationally for its many strip clubs.

The city of Portland will buy the property occupied by the Safari Showclub, tear down the club and build 200 to 300 affordable apartments.

The City Council on Wednesday unanimously approved spending $3.7 million on the 50,000-square foot property on Southeast Powell Boulevard at Southeast 30th Avenue. Commissioner Nick Fish was absent.

The city will close the deal September 30, when the strip club will have to cease operations.

"Ultimately to address our affordability crisis, we have to use all the tools available," Mayor Ted Wheeler said. "This is one example of how we can move forward."
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:51 PM

"Affordable housing is extremely important!"

*takes 2 years just to get a permit*

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
72Foster breaks ground

REACH Community Development digs into Lents to build an intergenerational mixed-use building

The Lents Town Center urban renewal area is already stimulating more developments outside its original plans for the neighborhood's main drag.

The groundbreaking for 72Foster, a REACH Community Development project located at 7238 S.E. Foster Rd., was held last week on Thursday, Sept. 21.

72Foster will be an intergenerational, mixed-use building, creating 101 permanently affordable housing (some affordable deals with the City, State or Prosper Portland can expire) serving both seniors and families, with apartment sizes ranging from studios to three bedrooms.

The project is estimated to cost $24 million. Lucy Corbett, housing development project manager with REACH, attended the groundbreaking that featured speakers from the various funding partners.
...continues at the Business Tribune.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:23 PM

Not sure the proper thread for this. The mayor is considering incentives to make inclusionary housing more appealing to developers. The Mercury article included a list of 20+ unit projects primarily in SE.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Photos: Affordable housing rising in SE Portland

A new 101-unit affordable housing development is rising on Southeast Foster Road in the Mt. Scott-Arleta neighborhood. LMC Construction is building 72Foster – a four-story mixed-use building designed by Holst Architecture for REACH Community Development. The building will feature three stories of wood-framed apartments over a concrete podium that will hold commercial and residential amenity space.

Carpenters with framing contractor Wood Mechanix are nearly finished framing the building’s fourth floor. Installation of roof trusses and the weather-resistant barrier will begin next week, and windows will follow starting next month. The building will be topped out in early June.

72Foster’s 101 apartments will range in size from studios to three-bedrooms to primarily serve seniors and families. The units will be available to people earning 60 percent of median household income; 20 units will be occupied by residents with Project Based Section 8 vouchers. REACH is partnering with Asian Health & Service Center to provide outreach and on-site programs and services to residents.
...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Portland sculptor molds a new creative office project on Southeast Division (Photos)

When Portland sculptor Martin Eichinger bought the building at 2516 S.E. Division St. some 15 years ago, he had big plans to put in a traditional art school that focused on classic forms of art

"Then the economy got whacky and I just couldn't make it work," he said.

But by the time the economy settled down and Eichinger was in a place where he could invest in the property again, his own career had boomed and the idea of starting up a school in tandem just seemed too daunting.

"I already have one hard career," he said. "I didn't want to do an art school too."

Instead, over the long-term, Eichinger decided to expand the building into a creative office hub anchored by his studio and a restaurant on the ground floor. Over the past two years, two stories of office were added above and the restaurant space was prepped.
...continues at the PBJ (no paywall).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:12 AM

Sellwood Apartments construction update, 7119 SE Milwaukie Ave.

This is the old Boys & Girls Club site, soon to be a 4-story, 232 unit apartment building with retail fronting SE Milwaukie Ave. I think I read somewhere this will be the largest private development ever in Sellwood. I'm not sure if that includes any of the riverfront condos.

Renderings:

[Urban Works Real Estate]

[Urban Works Real Estate]

[NBP Capital]

[NBP Capital]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:54 AM
A before E

Wait, so they are building three stories of apartments on top of the retail? That makes more sense because I was looking at the development the other day and it was starting to look like two different buildings with the apartments and the retail portion.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Wait, so they are building three stories of apartments on top of the retail? That makes more sense because I was looking at the development the other day and it was starting to look like two different buildings with the apartments and the retail portion.
Yeah, it sure looks that way from the renderings. I kind of like the way it is now, with the setback. Hope they go with the rust color rather than that dull gray. The question with this project is how big an impact will it have on parking and traffic? There are a number of new apartment buildings (with no off-street parking) just a couple of blocks south of this location that have already put some pressure on SE Milwaukie. The size of this development required one level of below-grade parking, but I'm not sure how many spaces that will mean. In any event, this development will surely add some vitality to the neighborhood's street life.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 7:42 AM
A before E

Does anyone know what is going on with the apartments south of Burgerville on 12th and SE Clay? I was leaving Burgerville the other day and noticed the old apartment building on the corner being torn down.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:21 AM

Quote:
On the Boards: YMCA Foster project – Leeb Architects

A new project in the Lents neighborhood of Southeast Portland aims to provide a unique combination of residential living and professional childcare.

The new YMCA Foster development is a mixed-use project, combining a full-service daycare facility with 48 new apartments intended for workforce housing. The project will ultimately replace the existing aging YMCA facility the currently sits on a trapezoidal shaped piece of property near the junction of Southeast Foster Road and Southeast Holgate Boulevard.

Architect Charlie Baxter is the project lead for Portland firm Leeb Architects. He said the way in which the YMCA property is split between commercial and residential zoning propelled the design and led to the concept of bringing the project much closer to the street than the existing structure. In addition, it also led to the use of sweeping rooflines and other design features that will set this project apart from the rest of the neighborhood.
...continues at the DJC (temporarily unlocked).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Photos: A new community asset in Lents

Hundreds of people turned out for a celebration held Wednesday to mark the opening of the Asian Health and Service Center, a cultural, educational, health and social service hub in the Lents neighborhood. The three-story, 30,000-square-foot building contains treatment space for physical and behavioral health, the Asian Cancer Resource and Support Center, a 6,000-square-foot multipurpose room, a healing garden, and small multipurpose rooms for classes and group programs. The building also holds a ground-floor commercial space occupied by Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic.

The Holst Architecture-designed project was built by O’Neill/Walsh Community Builders, which broke ground in early 2017. The building features a distinctive metal sunscreen structure along the south façade consisting of prefinished aluminum attached to color-matched steel columns. The building’s southwest corner contains a three-story curtainwall system, which provides ample daylight for a stairway from the ground-floor lobby to the third-floor public spaces.
...continues at the DJC (no paywall).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland