HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:55 PM

Request for Response [PDF, small] for the Design Review.

Quote:
Design Review for a new 204 room hotel on a vacant 10,000 square foot lot – 13 floors plus one below grade level on existing vacant lot. The gross building floor area will be approximately 118,000 square feet and building height will be approximately 130’. Ground floor program includes a bar, lounge, lobby, dinning and back of house. No on-site parking is proposed. Parking demand will be satisfied within a nearby parking garage. Additional basement facilities include: board room, meeting rooms, a small library and a fitness room. The main entrance to the hotel lobby is proposed to be located at the corner of SW Third and Taylor Streets. Valet drop off is proposed to be located curbside on SW Third Avenue near the main entrance. An Adjustment is needed to reduce the number of on-site loading spaces from two (2) to one (1).
Elevations have changed a bit:

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 6:19 PM
A before E

So in other words, they asked for the blandest design that they could possibly do? It should blend into the area well, good thing it will be mostly hidden by surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:52 AM

Choosing Sera over Works (if that is indeed what happened) is a clear reflection of idiocy.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Choosing Sera over Works (if that is indeed what happened) is a clear reflection of idiocy.
Sera should really change their name to Mediocre. It is a shame that they use to be a top name firm really pushing the quality of design in Portland. Now they just seem like that old uncle that use to be cool in high school but just now lame.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what the story is behind that Works Partnership project is, but it looks like an office. I have to assume it was for a different client. Mortenson only acquired the site from the PDC very recently.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Why is Marriott responsible for some of the worst hotel architecture possible in this town. Examples: Marriott hotel on Naito, Marriott hotel on Broadway, Residence Inn at Riverplace, Courtyard near the Convention Center.

I actually think the that Residence Inn in the Pearl is a good step up.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Why is Marriott responsible for some of the worst hotel architecture possible in this town. Examples: Marriott hotel on Naito, Marriott hotel on Broadway, Residence Inn at Riverplace, Courtyard near the Convention Center.

I actually think the that Residence Inn in the Pearl is a good step up.
The Courtyard near Big Pink is pretty good for what it is, and the Riverplace Residence Inn isn't that bad for Riverplace. The location is a bigger problem than the hotel.

The one on Natio is what it is, but it's an old Marriott branding. I'd guess near the end of the Marriott agreement the owners will renovate the property and either renegotiate or pickup a different brand with a refreshed hotel.

Some licenses I've run into lasted up to 25 years, and it can be a factor in why a city that's growing quickly can have some hotels that don't really meet the standard you might expect from a brand.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
The Courtyard near Big Pink is pretty good for what it is, and the Riverplace Residence Inn isn't that bad for Riverplace. The location is a bigger problem than the hotel.

The one on Natio is what it is, but it's an old Marriott branding. I'd guess near the end of the Marriott agreement the owners will renovate the property and either renegotiate or pickup a different brand with a refreshed hotel.

Some licenses I've run into lasted up to 25 years, and it can be a factor in why a city that's growing quickly can have some hotels that don't really meet the standard you might expect from a brand.
Blah, I really hope they tear down that Marriott and redo. Why save it? It's hideous.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 9:34 PM

All the charm of the Freedom Center apartments, but bigger.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:14 PM

That's insane. Design Review should be fun.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:07 PM

Oh my God, gross!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:13 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Well, if we must build a prison downtown, I guess it's not so ba... wait... it's a hotel? Yikes.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Oh my god, what happened? Its like a bunker!

2009 - 15,749 | 2010 - 17,576 | 2011 - 18,257 | 2012 - 18,794

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:03 AM

They must be using the same bad designer as the one who built the Marriott prison on Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 6:07 AM
BANNED

My good god that is terrible. Wow

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 9:29 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
All the charm of the Freedom Center apartments, but bigger.

Oh good! I just vomited in my mouth.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh good! I just vomited in my mouth.
What happened?

It is amazing the difference in a couple of renders. This building looks to be the same amount of stories and footprint, but I would never guess that these two buildings are essentially the same size. The vertical lines of the earlier rendering are so much more elegant that the solid mass of the current rendering.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
What happened?

It is amazing the difference in a couple of renders. This building looks to be the same amount of stories and footprint, but I would never guess that these two buildings are essentially the same size. The vertical lines of the earlier rendering are so much more elegant that the solid mass of the current rendering.
Both of these stink but I can see why they went with the newer one. It has more windows and probably makes for a better experience for the hotel guests. It's another one of those buildings where they are trying to squeeze everything possible into a tiny site while keeping a lid on the budget.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
What happened?
is SERA still the architect? I really hope that they got fired, or quit, because the most recent rendering is utter garbage.

am I counting correctly, does this hotel have exactly 13 floors? I thought that was a decided no-no for hotels.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 2:15 AM

12 floors + ground floor ;-)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland