HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 1:38 AM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 5,719












__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 2:37 AM
Derek's Avatar
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,359
The car garage is so sexy.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:28 AM
innovativethinking innovativethinking is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 593
Very nice looking tower
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 2:36 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
I am liking the look of this tower, the use of space for the car garage is very unique looking for the building as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:09 AM
cailes cailes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 311
Aside from glorifying cars, the rest of the tower looks pretty nice
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:47 AM
65MAX's Avatar
65MAX 65MAX is offline
Karma Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: People's Republic of Portland
Posts: 2,138
I also like how this building is looking..... in the renderings.

But I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this. For instance, the clear glazing shown in the renderings WILL NOT look that transparent in real life. It will look darker in most instances, and have more glare at other times. There MAY BE a few times, mostly at night, when the cars will actually be as visible as they are shown here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 1:40 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I also like how this building is looking..... in the renderings.

But I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this. For instance, the clear glazing shown in the renderings WILL NOT look that transparent in real life. It will look darker in most instances, and have more glare at other times. There MAY BE a few times, mostly at night, when the cars will actually be as visible as they are shown here.
Works PA has been pretty consistent with their work and producing architecture that looks similar to their renderings. I am expecting what is glass to look like glass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:59 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I hope that some of you aren't expecting the finished product to look EXACTLY like this.
You keep trying to make it sound as if a few of us are nitpicking. Other Portland architects and even the chairman of the design commission have been quoted in the media talking about how caught off guard they were by how much The Yard didn't match what Skylab had presented - I repeat: even the chairman of the design commission was caught off guard by how much The Yard didn't match what what Skylab had presented. Surely, you don't believe the chairman of the design commission shouldn't expect what is built to look like what the commission approved.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:03 PM
MarkDaMan's Avatar
MarkDaMan MarkDaMan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 6,723
^No.

Let's keep the Yard discussion in the Yard thread so those that don't really care to read the back and forth can avoid that thread should they choose to.
__________________
make paradise, tear up a parking lot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:21 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^No.

Let's keep the Yard discussion in the Yard thread so those that don't really care to read the back and forth can avoid that thread should they choose to.
I agree, we don't need every thread to be about the Yard. I imagine we can have what we have always had on this site is a healthy conversation about the architecture regarding specific buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:21 PM
BrG BrG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^No.

Let's keep the Yard discussion in the Yard thread so those that don't really care to read the back and forth can avoid that thread should they choose to.
This ^^^
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:48 PM
zilfondel zilfondel is offline
Submarine de Nucléar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 4,441
The building looks pretty amazing and cool, but two minor things: the alleyway between the two buildings will be very dark, since it will be shaded by a 19-story building. Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
__________________
Portland Bike Bridge traffic:

2009 - 15,749 | 2010 - 17,576 | 2011 - 18,257 | 2012 - 18,794
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:59 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
The building looks pretty amazing and cool, but two minor things: the alleyway between the two buildings will be very dark, since it will be shaded by a 19-story building. Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
The alley way is a bit awkward, I am guessing no one would actually use it. It will mostly be dead space that people might occasionally move through or maybe stop to smoke a cigarette.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:08 PM
maccoinnich maccoinnich is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 5,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
What makes you say that?
__________________
"Maybe to an architect, they might look suspicious, but to me, they just look like rocks"

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:27 PM
AcmeGreg AcmeGreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 89

This is a very hip urban solution for a parking garage, and it makes me wonder: A) this type of contraption might be perfect for a downtown auto dealer showroom, of which there are now very few; and B) wouldn't it be great if there was a wash & wax station somewhere in there? I'd hate for my dusty Dodge to be exposed for all to see!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:26 PM
Derek's Avatar
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,359
I'd love to see the Chevy and Subaru dealerships in that area get this treatment one day to consolidate all their lots scattered throughout the CEID. That would clear up quite a few parking lots.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 1:47 AM
65MAX's Avatar
65MAX 65MAX is offline
Karma Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: People's Republic of Portland
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
The building looks pretty amazing and cool, but two minor things: the alleyway between the two buildings will be very dark, since it will be shaded by a 19-story building. Second, it sounds like the city doesn't like the window overhangs.
I think you misunderstood their comments. It's not the overhangs, or protruding (oriel) windows, they have a problem with.... it's the lack of enough (or any?) canopies over the sidewalks to provide weather protection. I have to agree, the overhangs on the building are mostly too high above the sidewalk to provide adequate shelter when it's raining.

Also, I think the alleyway will actually be a very dynamic space with fairly high pedestrian traffic. It looks like the buildings will open directly into that alley making it more of a courtyard than a service entrance. We have so few alleyways here in Portland, but they can be some the best urban spaces if done well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:08 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I think you misunderstood their comments. It's not the overhangs, or protruding (oriel) windows, they have a problem with.... it's the lack of enough (or any?) canopies over the sidewalks to provide weather protection. I have to agree, the overhangs on the building are mostly too high above the sidewalk to provide adequate shelter when it's raining.

Also, I think the alleyway will actually be a very dynamic space with fairly high pedestrian traffic. It looks like the buildings will open directly into that alley making it more of a courtyard than a service entrance. We have so few alleyways here in Portland, but they can be some the best urban spaces if done well.
How do you figure? Looking at the drafts, it looks like it is more or less just a walkway between two buildings that will be fairly dark with very little existing connections to it unless the current building under construction really opens up to it, which I don't think it does.

It looks nice in renderings, but this is basically a great alleyway for a heroin addict to shoot up in. I like the concept, but I don't imagine it being any more active than the alleyway by the Eliot Tower, and that one is much more inviting that this one would be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 10:52 AM
65MAX's Avatar
65MAX 65MAX is offline
Karma Police
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: People's Republic of Portland
Posts: 2,138
Well, just based on this rendering, the only one that shows the alleyway in any detail, they clearly are proposing a seating area with extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Also, there are window walls on both sides that look like they open directly into the buildings. There don't appear to be any hiding places for addicts to be shooting up when there are that many windows facing the alley. It actually looks more like a courtyard connecting the buildings than a back alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 5:22 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 10,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Well, just based on this rendering, the only one that shows the alleyway in any detail, they clearly are proposing a seating area with extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Also, there are window walls on both sides that look like they open directly into the buildings. There don't appear to be any hiding places for addicts to be shooting up when there are that many windows facing the alley. It actually looks more like a courtyard connecting the buildings than a back alley.
As we have learned, it is best not to go on a rendering on how active a place will be. Nothing in that rendering suggests it will be an active used place. The alleyway at the Eliot receives more activity than this will and the alleyway at the Eliot is dead minus the few people that cut through there when walking.

If there was retail space or something for a cafe to spill out into this area, then it might be active, but based on the drafts it doesn't suggest that so it will basically be a dead zone between buildings.


Looking at the drafts again for both buildings, it does look like there is potential for commercial space to connect to this alleyway in both buildings, so depending on what opens up and how they use the alleyway, it might see people walking through it to get to these places. But for now it looks more like a smoking area than anything else, we will see. Overall I am really liking how this block is turning out.

Last edited by urbanlife; Feb 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.