HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 6:26 PM

Yeah, very strange, one little quarter block of RXd amongst a sea of EXd. Interesting.
Looks like the zoning change is almost complete...from portland maps at least, with the noticed prepared, unless someone appeals it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:35 PM
Well designed mixed use

I think this building will be the most beautiful in Portland.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:02 AM

^you're kidding right? most beautiful, it is still a rectangular box. I hope one day I see what makes this building so special because I really don't get it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:09 AM

I'm with you Mark, although It has grown on me a bit. It may have nice materials and funky geometric window patterns, but it does nothing with form. Its just a slab tower that will be oppressive from a pedestrians point of view. Slab buildings just don't work. On that note, can anyone point to a Slab tower that is considered a masterpiece of architectural design? I've just never seen a good one.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:23 AM

In 10 years we will say what were we thinking! That thing is ugly. Sorry but true.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:49 PM
Now in Portland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
On that note, can anyone point to a Slab tower that is considered a masterpiece of architectural design? I've just never seen a good one.
Lever House, NYC
Seagram Building, NYC
Unite d'Habitation, Marseilles
Guaranty Building (Louis Sullivan), Buffalo

People who think any building that is rectangular is boring won't like any of these buildings (except maybe the Guaranty, because it is more historic looking). I also have met people who think any building employing exposed concrete is ugly, any modern building is ugly, etc. IMO, some box or slab buildings are great if they are designed and detailed well, and others are awful. Likewise, some buildings with complex forms are great and others are horrible.

A local example of a "slab" building that I think works pretty well is the American Bank Building along the north side of Pioneer Courthouse Square.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:09 PM
Now in Portland!

Another noteworthy example of a "slab" building is Belluschi's Equitable/Commonwealth Building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
A local example of a "slab" building that I think works pretty well is the American Bank Building along the north side of Pioneer Courthouse Square.
You have a strange definition of "slab".

American Bank Building

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:37 PM

The interesting thing about 937 is the unit plans, and the fact that it's very skinny. That's uncommon in the Portland market for new condos. It's about half the width of the typical slab plan/ shotgun buildings, and about 15/20ft narrower than the typical standard bedroom, double loaded corridor condos like Bridgeport and Elizabeth.

The other unique plan is Metropolitian. Sort of a hybrid point tower.

The skin of 937 is cool, but the devil is in the details.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:21 PM

I still like this, at least it is different than the norm...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 4:37 PM
No longer PDX

I like it as well. I think it has a very pure simple form without lots of unnecessary articulation. The beauty lies in the materials and the geometry of the windows and balconies, not in that it's an unusual shape, or a graceful point tower. For example the Benson tower and the John Ross both have interesting shapes, but lack interesting skins and are IMHO only OK overall. I'm undecided on how the 937 meets the street however as it's not clear in the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 5:42 PM
Now in Portland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
You have a strange definition of "slab".

American Bank Building
I fail to see what is "weird" about the definition of "slab" in my previous post, which, as far as I can tell, is the same definition that others have used in this forum. Correct me if you disagree, but I have been assuming that a "slab" building is tall, basically rectangular in plan and elevation, wide in one direction, and somewhat narrow in the other. "Slab," IMO, does not refer to the style of the building, but the shape, so both modern and traditional buildings can be "slabs." I still would argue that the American Bank Building (ABB) is a "slab," even though it is traditionally decorated at the top and bottom. In fact, it is interesting to note that the ABB is very similar in size and shape to the 937: 937 is 16 stories high, one block wide, and about 1/4 block deep. ABB is 15 stories high, one block wide, and about 1/3 block deep. Also, the middle 9 stories of the ABB are unadorned brick with punched window openings, a basic form that isn't that different from the punched masonry facade on the 937 (though the styles and compositions of the facades are obviously different).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp View Post
I fail to see what is "weird" about the definition of "slab" in my previous post, which, as far as I can tell, is the same definition that others have used in this forum. Correct me if you disagree, but I have been assuming that a "slab" building is tall, basically rectangular in plan and elevation, wide in one direction, and somewhat narrow in the other. "Slab," IMO, does not refer to the style of the building, but the shape, so both modern and traditional buildings can be "slabs." I still would argue that the American Bank Building (ABB) is a "slab," even though it is traditionally decorated at the top and bottom. In fact, it is interesting to note that the ABB is very similar in size and shape to the 937: 937 is 16 stories high, one block wide, and about 1/4 block deep. ABB is 15 stories high, one block wide, and about 1/3 block deep. Also, the middle 9 stories of the ABB are unadorned brick with punched window openings, a basic form that isn't that different from the punched masonry facade on the 937 (though the styles and compositions of the facades are obviously different).
I'll let Cab speak for himself (or herself), but I doubt the American Bank Building is what he had in mind when he wrote "Slab buildings just don't work". If there's any building in Portland that "works", it's the American Bank Building.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:02 PM

perhaps Cab could define what he/she considers a "slab building" or "slab tower". To clear things up.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 7:38 PM
Now in Portland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
I'll let Cab speak for himself (or herself), but I doubt the American Bank Building is what he had in mind when he wrote "Slab buildings just don't work". If there's any building in Portland that "works", it's the American Bank Building.
I completely agree that the American Bank Building works! That is why I cited this building as an example of a "slab" shape that is almost exactly the same size and shape as the 937. Throughout this forum, I've seen "slab" buildings disparaged as almost always ugly or awkward or pedestrian-unfriendly, and point towers held up as an ideal shape. I'm just trying to point out that slab-shaped buildings can be great at the pedestrian level (rather than "oppressive") and as a part of the urban fabric. I suspect that the criticism of the 937 has less to do with its overall slab shape and size, and more to do with its style and composition. If the shape and size are the main issue, then, if they were to be consistent, those complaining about slab buildings would also dislike the American Bank Building's presence in the urban streetscape. On the other hand, if the term "slab" is an attempt to categorize only boxy "modern" or "sterile" or "minimalist" buildings, maybe we should use more specific terms to distinguish what we're talking about.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:02 PM

For me the problem is their 200 feet of walls right up on the sidewalk, the resemblance to old soviet apartment blocks and the abundance of slabs vs. true towers in PDX. The new OHSU building is a perfect example of a slab and not half bad because of the nice materials, but does it inspire anyone? Why do the church spirals of Europe inspire awe? If they had been built as slabs would they have the same impact? I really can't say why, but would the Seattle space needle or Eiffel tower work if they where just big slabs? Can one argue that Vancouver BC would be a better city if it replaced all its towers with slabs? In moderation slabs are fine, but our city is beginning to fill up with them so every time a new one gets proposed instead of a true tower its upsetting.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 8:11 PM

All I'll say is that I agree about the slabs completely, and I am perpetually disappointed with PDX's generally uninspired architectural profile... but I think 937 will be an exception for me. At the very least, the tower, with it's attractive patterns (at least to these eyes), will offer a good shot of variety into the skyline around there. We need a lot more of that. I know detractors always use the word "Soviet", but I keep thinking "Rotterdam".

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 9:46 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Neither the Space Needle or Eiffel Tower are buildings. They are towers with observation decks.

Anyways, wtf is wrong with a slab building? I just don't understand. I thought everyone always talks about how cool Euruope is, but virtually all of their buildings are of this type. Modern ones, at least. Some aren't so pretty, but some are.

Here's some cool shit from the Dutch:

above taken from http://www.dutcharchitects.com/

Nemo - the boat-shaped building in Amsterdam

And let's not forget Richard Rogers, the latest Pritzker Prize winner!

Again, SLAB buildings: (oh my!)

Pompidou Center - most famous modern building in Europe.

Channel 4 HQ in London

Courtesy of Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners website

Last edited by zilfondel; Mar 30, 2007 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:20 PM

All the posted pictures are low rise, big difference. Add 15 levels and push them right up to our US standard 12 ft sidewalk and they become oppressive.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 10:31 PM

Haha. The day that i see anything as inventive and shape-shifting as this --slab or not-- in Portland, I will know that it's time to check myself into a mental institution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland