HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:35 PM

The EnCore is having their topping out party today.. ..the roof pour is done.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:43 PM

I wonder how long until all the people moving into the buildings next to the railroad tracks demand that they be tunneled under Naito Parkway. They are so damned noisy and have a lot movements at night.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:15 PM

There are many ways to sound insulate buildings. I bet at the prices Hoyt Properties gets, that they spent a bit on insulation. I doubt it will be that huge a concern.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:32 PM
Well designed mixed use

This has been an ongoing issue with residents of the Pinnacle. There is something in the works to install special equipment that would alleviate the need for train conductors to use their whistles.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 6:20 PM

The solution to the train noise is for the City to create this area as a 'quiet zone'. This process needs to be initiated by the City and requires changing some of the equipment at the vehicular track crossings to assure safety without the loud whistles.

Once the quiet zone is created the trains are then no longer required to and prevented from blasting their horns.

I know Hoyt and the neighborhood are discussing this and suspect the City will support it given all the new development along both sides of the tracks.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:37 PM
"Made In Oregon"

Train noise comes with the package. If you purchase property next to an existing and working railroad yard you have to expect some noise. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a "100% quiet zone" in an active industrial area anymore than eliminating "noise" around racetracks or airports. (For those who recently moved into these zones...too bad for you if you don't adapt or insulate. )

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:49 PM

I think there will be train noise for decades. That said this isn't really an industrial zone any more...this is downtown portland and adding the quiet zone is just good sense and is what cities across the US are doing as the urban core transforms industrial areas into living areas. The quiet zone won't be quiet..just less loud.

Ultimately the rail traffic will move to the east side...the current bends get tracks back and forth across the river make no sense and really slow down rail traffic. It's only a matter of time until either rail dies or becomes really important in which case it will stay on the east side and bypass downtown..and create a new passenger station on the east side.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Ultimately the rail traffic will move to the east side...the current bends get tracks back and forth across the river make no sense and really slow down rail traffic. It's only a matter of time until either rail dies or becomes really important in which case it will stay on the east side and bypass downtown..and create a new passenger station on the east side.
not really the place to debate this, but passenger rail will probably always stay on the West side due to politics. We may see all freight rail move to the East side, but I doubt it with the Industrial areas in Washington County. Anyway, my 2 cents says rail will be there, stronger if anything, in any future outcome. (check out the new funding for Amtrak and State initiated high-speed rail corridors, passenger rail is coming back! Finally.)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 9:19 PM

No matter which side of the river freight trains run on it will be tunnelled. There's a point when the value created by tunnelling of roads and railways become economically feasible because the value of the land above ground is less than the cost of tunnelling.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:02 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Yea, but that might not happen for a long time. Additionally, freight trains can only climb a certain max grade, making it difficult to build tunnels nearby freight yards, because they require miles of slope before it would be low enough to go under the river - but that really just compounds the cost issue.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:54 PM

too bad it is topped out at this height. I was hoping for 1-2 more floors to give it some contrast to the Pinnacle (?) building next door.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 8:01 PM

more height would have been attractive...unfortunately the height limit is 175'. The Encore is about one story taller than the Pinnacle because the site is steep enough to allow the measurement of height in a more favorable way.

the new north pearl plan when approved in 2008 should allow unlimited height...or height limited only by the far and floor plate size.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 8:59 AM

Some more glass on the west/park side

I took this photo Wed November 22, 2007, 12:36:34. They installed more glass on the park side of the Encore. We might get more of a feel for what the Encore will look like soon. The Mistral is the building on the left.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stoneyv/...85942926462290

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:52 AM

Construction photo

I took this photo of the Encore at aproximately 1600 on Mon 21Jan08. I had difficulty holding my camera still let alone adjusting my exposure. I immediately went to REI and purchased some thin gloves with something equivalent to windstopper and a package of hand warmers for my coat pockets

1200x1055 Encore

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:48 AM

I've decided I like the color and shape of this building.

It's got good context with the others. (tan bricks on the sides, white trim like the metropolitan, brown cladding and nice glass).

I wish this building were being built in better times. The sales office shows very few units sold as of last month when I visited. It's at the edge of the pearl, a little ways out, but is adjacent to the park and good views to the west at this time.

I wish it all the best as it continues to fill out.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:25 AM

CHOOOO CHOOOO!! [the deafening sound of a train going by at 5mph]

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:49 PM

^ do the trains run all hours? Maybe train enthusiasts will purchase these units.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 8:28 PM

Horn would be more of an issue

Someone mentioned that the city or another entity was going to make this a hornless crossing. Sudden horn blasts would be much more significant than the continuous low frequency of the train and its motor. Many people would probably become accustomed to the motor and train noise. Plus low frequency noise does not antenuate easily without objects that have high densities/high mass. So motor/train noise is probably effects much more of the pearl.

To me, the train horn blasts that look more like an impulse function are what would be unpleasant and disruptive.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
^ do the trains run all hours? Maybe train enthusiasts will purchase these units.

Yes, the trains, and the horns, run at all hours. My rental unit faces in that direction, too, and it doesn't bother me all that much.

However, I wouldn't buy a condo with that noise issue unless it came at a *significant* discount. In a condo, I'd be risking $100+K downpayment for the possiblity that I may not get to sleep at night - for my rental, all I'm risking a $3k security deposit. Pricing at The Encore does not seem to take the noise issue into consideration.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:16 PM

Discussions are underway for the City to make this area a 'quiet zone' which would adjust the design of the vehicular crossings and minimize or eliminate the horn blasts at the crossings. I think the City has to initiate this process and believe Hoyt Street and the neighborhood are discussing this with the City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland