HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:37 AM

Update 6-14-08:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 1:59 AM

Update 7-5-2008:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 2:20 AM

How does everyone feel about the red (tile?) on the side of the building? It seems a bit dated to me...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 10:42 PM

I think its kinda neat looking, but yea, I got get a late 70s feeling from it if I think too hard

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 12:12 AM

I appreciate their attempt to activate the large blank wall...and agree it will seem dated...personally I would rather see the giant billboards like on West Burnside...they change and some of them are cool...of course that isn't very portland.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
How does everyone feel about the red (tile?) on the side of the building? It seems a bit dated to me...
Blazer colors. I approve.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 3:30 AM

i think this building's going to turn out a bit better than we all feared. but yeah, that tile does look awfully 70's.............

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 5:49 PM

Update 11-30-2008:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:52 PM

So, with one wall of the building having no windows, does this suggest a future addition?

And... I confess I like the red stripes with the reflective-ish looking middle stripe. I love pastiche; just don't know what they're referencing; race cars from the mid-80s?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:18 PM

Tough opening for Machine Works in Pearl District

Grubb & Ellis looks to lure office tenants to building seeking LEED gold certification
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Friday, January 23, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

Al Solheim has been a developer in the Pearl District since the nation’s last major recession, in 1981, but he’s never seen a more challenging time than the present.

This month perhaps wasn’t the best time for Solheim’s biggest and most expensive building, the mixed-use Machine Works in the Pearl District, to open. After all, little leasing activity is expected in the immediate future.

Yet the new building, which is still seeking its first office tenant, has some attractive features.

Tall windows wrap around the offices, giving nearly a 360-degree view of the city. The windows also keep out the noise of traffic on Interstate 405, which runs past the western side of the building. The only sound is the humming ventilation system.

Broker Eric Haskins of Grubb & Ellis said the building’s sustainable features are part of the building’s marketability. Featuring an energy-efficient HVAC system and an eco-roof, the building is seeking Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design gold certification, according to Solheim.

And Solheim, the chairman of the board of governors at the Pacific Northwest College of Art, wants the eight-story building to showcase art. The lobby will feature a painting by Oregon artist James Lavadour, and the south side of the building already boasts the Falling Light art installation, made up of colored, epoxy-glazed blocks that are used to reflect sunlight.

Haskins said the building has two other significant pluses. One is that tenants may combine to place as many as four 100-foot signs on the building’s exterior, directed toward I-405. Another is that the roof has been reinforced to allow for a deck for the top-floor tenant.

Yet there sits 70,000 square feet of vacant office space. But it could be worse for the 120,000-square-foot building. The good news is that LA Fitness has taken up Machine Works’ 43,000 square feet of ground-level retail space.

Two tenants have already backed out of potential lease agreements, preferring instead to stay put, Solheim said.

“They just got turned around in all this mess,” he said.

Perhaps he could have more aggressively pursued potential tenants early on, he mused.

When the building was still under construction, a pro forma outlook indicated that by this point 20 percent of the building would be leased.

“There’s just a lot of property in this (Pearl District),” Solheim said.

He cited Keen Footwear and the Ater Wynne law firm, both already in the Pearl District, as the types of companies he’d like to attract to his building.

“If there is a 40,000-square-foot user, we’re the only opportunity right now,” said broker Eric Haskins of Grubb & Ellis.

The brokerage team at Grubb & Ellis is aggressively pursuing firms to fill the upper floors, Haskins said. They’re working the phones and stepping up efforts to move tenants into the building.

Solheim is willing to wait out the slowdown, but remains hopeful that the marketing efforts are fruitful.

“People are holding out,” Solheim said, “and it’s just a slow time of the year.”

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 7:33 PM
A before E

plus it is an easy building to spot. Who wouldnt want to work in this building, all they would have to say for anyone to find it, "I work in the building that looks like ass."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 7:06 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Grubb & Ellis looks to lure office tenants to building seeking LEED gold certification
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Friday, January 23, 2009
BY TYLER GRAF

.....And Solheim, the chairman of the board of governors at the Pacific Northwest College of Art, wants the eight-story building to showcase art. The lobby will feature a painting by Oregon artist James Lavadour, and the south side of the building already boasts the Falling Light art installation, made up of colored, epoxy-glazed blocks that are used to reflect sunlight.
WTF..... so that's supposed to be art?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:13 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352 View Post
So, with one wall of the building having no windows, does this suggest a future addition?

And... I confess I like the red stripes with the reflective-ish looking middle stripe. I love pastiche; just don't know what they're referencing; race cars from the mid-80s?
That is a very good question.

I prefer 1950's myself

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:34 PM

Update from 1-19-2009: The finished product!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:39 PM

wow, that's a lot of gray. last fall, when it was wrapped in white insulation, and i mistakenly believed it was going to be white, i had some hope for this thing - hope now dashed. oh well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:06 AM
Karma Police

Nice... 5 different shades of gray. Oh well, who needs color anyway? Color is highly overated.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:16 AM

I hate that building.

Seriously, we need a mechanism for de-licensing architects who pollute our landscape with garbage like this.

And I can't believe that Solheim is affiliated with PNCA and wants the building to "showcase" art when the building itself is so artless.

Add this to the criminally-ugly Asa and Safeway buildings and... man, all I can do is shake my head. Hopefully when Hoyt Street gets to the business of building out the rest of their land to the north, these buildings will fade into ignore-ability.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:07 AM

I think asa is much worse, mainly because of it's misuse of colors and materials.

while this building is certainly bland, boring and underwhelming.....it sort of blends in and is easy to forget about. it's one color, boxy and basic.
it's awful, but not something you fixate on (unless you are on 405 North, and you stare into the abyss that is the above ground parking structure.... yuck)

It sort of, well, fades into the landscape.

asa? We'll be seeing that crappy building for decades!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:53 AM
A before E

These few blocks have definitely become one of the worst looking parts of the city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 7:00 AM

Horrible...a horrible finished product. The above ground parking sealed the deal of a less than mediocre building.

If they couldn't fill 8 or 9 stories of office space, then the project shouldn't even have begun. Funny, they are offering free parking to employees of people that lease the space, and still can't fill the tower...ooops, the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland