HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 5:54 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Sacramento regional forum

Serious question:

Do we really need our own forum for Sacramento? I mean honestly, we are probably the only city/region of this size in the entire country not building skyscrapers and zero on the horizon.

Why not combine Northern California with San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento and Oakland? We could each have a section for central city development, transportation infrastructure and maybe Airport?

Thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 4:17 PM

Yes we need our own forum. Why do we always bring up this topic? I have been checking this page daily for years. If I want to see things going on in the the Bay area I go to that section

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 8:46 PM

I almost never comment, but I visit here almost every day. I really like it being separate.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 11:23 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb90 View Post
Yes we need our own forum. Why do we always bring up this topic? I have been checking this page daily for years. If I want to see things going on in the the Bay area I go to that section
This, 100%. I literally check this forum every single morning; it's part of my daily ritual. I'm only interested in seeing Sacramento stuff, and if it were diluted with other stuff from other cities and counties, I would lose interest.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 3:52 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
This, 100%. I literally check this forum every single morning; it's part of my daily ritual. I'm only interested in seeing Sacramento stuff, and if it were diluted with other stuff from other cities and counties, I would lose interest.
Fair enough and I understand what you’re saying.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 4:08 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb90 View Post
Well you have to admit, it’s fairly dead and devoid of much news (aside from Sac Airport).

I asked because years ago there were many more sub-forums but they were combined and/or eliminated. I think Sacramento snuck under the radar when we had all those proposals years ago (Liebskind, Saca etc.).

Anyway, clearly you’re passionate about it and I did ask for feedback, so thank you.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 5:21 PM

I’d like to see the Sacramento-specific forum continue, but I don’t expect much to change re new projects in near-term. Development is cyclical and at present there is just too much uncertainty in the market to get projects funded. This applies to even smaller projects, let alone high-rises. Once there is a clear direction as to when and how some degree of normalcy returns, we’ll start seeing the market open-up for funding again.

But even clear direction won’t get us completely there as lenders will want to see what this “new normal” is re lifestyles (Remember two keys to development: 1) You are never renting or selling a “house.” You are always renting or selling a “lifestyle.” 2) You are never purchasing a building or site. You are always purchasing the present and future cash-flows that building or site represents).

Does the “work at home” phenomena continue with significant numbers no longer requiring office space? Will public transportation take a huge hit while those who previously rode light rail/bus reevaluate their risk to contracting airborne diseases (this significantly impacts parking requirements)? Will people no longer be willing to accept huge increases in density and living in much smaller units and demand dwellings that afford residents much more “social distancing?” Are these and other impacts permanent or short-term?

These (and so many more) are all fundamental modeling questions that developers and funding institutions must answer before we’re likely to see another growth cycle and that’s going to take a while to shake-out (other than low-density suburban, for which there is a long and verifiable record of returns under a wide range of economic scenarios).

I admit it pains me when I check-in every morning to see yet another grand project going up in Austin/Dallas/Houston, and NOTHING happening in Sacramento, but until there is some kind of certainty re the lockdown, it is unlikely any large-scale projects will get much traction here.

There is great interest re the recall with many funders convinced that if Newsom survives, we’ll see a return to masking (the recall is the only reason masks aren’t required again in California now) and even greater uncertainty as to when this will be behind us and what the criteria will be (even if there were a return to masking et. al., some kind of clear and unchanging path to a defined success would help free-up the markets). I realize some may see that as a political statement, but it reflects the reality I hear weekly. If you know of lenders eager to put money into play locally immediately, please forward their contact information…

But recall, no recall, or any other combination of events, the uncertainty that keeps a tight grip on funding (hopefully) won’t last forever. When it passes, secondary/tertiary markets like Sacramento will be strong and active again and boards like this will reflect that new activity.

What that "activity" is and how long that takes is to a large degree up to us…

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 9:08 PM
Hindrance to Development

Seems like there are more cranes in Sacramento right now than there were during the circa 2006 boom, in downtown and midtown and west sac and the railyards and richards blvd, and some pretty good proposals for the kind of midrise plan which doesn't necessarily inspire folks here to get all hot & bothered, but from a utilitarian standpoint are more likely to actually get built and used for housing? And yes, it's Skyscraperpage not Midrisepage, but if that's the product that functions, maybe it's time to stop listening to the griping of the size queens? There is some interesting stuff going on regionally too, like the proposed Santana Row lite in Elk Grove. Heck, even that facadist fix-up of the Marshall Hotel is about to open, and they even made good on their promise to include a "Clayton Club" jazz venue on the sixth-floor rooftop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area