HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 11:16 PM

Not sure where this fits but BC Ferries could be considered as part of the highway system.

http://www.delta-optimist.com/news/r...nal-1.23131404

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:55 PM
Good roads & good transit

Is a north south freeway more needed than an east west one? Anyways I got this email from some woman in the MOTI.

Thank you for your email of October 23rd, 2017. My name is Anna Kosmala, Area manager here in the Lower Mainland and I have been asked to respond to your enquiry.

To answer your question directly, yes – It is (probably) technically possible to build a freeway bypass through this area. There have been suggestions made in the past to upgrade or tunnel along the Knight St or Boundary Rd corridor and we thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately the route you’ve suggested would almost entirely fall under the City of Vancouver’s jurisdiction, of whom you would need to approach directly for support on this proposal. The Ministry’s focus and main consideration for development is on provincial traffic, namely highways – and though this traffic does use the Oak St to Lions Gate route, our jurisdiction is limited at each.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 10:38 AM

Was this in response to a Third Crossing proposal?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:31 PM
Good roads & good transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Was this in response to a Third Crossing proposal?
No this was for a tunnel under Knight or Arbutus from the 99 to the Burrard or Granville Bridges.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 PM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

That route seems low down on the priority list? An east-west tunnel from around Main to Hwy 1 would be amazing, burrard inlet could use a tunnel, but through southwest Vancouver only? Besides a million traffic lights the current ground routes seem to be doing relatively ok.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:34 PM

I wonder if there's a scenario in which a private-sector endeavour would be permitted to undertake a tolled tunnel project. Subject to all typical governmental reviews, of course.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil1011 View Post
No this was for a tunnel under Knight or Arbutus from the 99 to the Burrard or Granville Bridges.
would never happen with this administration
come on guys you know it.
Think of how many bike lanes you can buy with all that tunnel money

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
That route seems low down on the priority list? An east-west tunnel from around Main to Hwy 1 would be amazing, burrard inlet could use a tunnel, but through southwest Vancouver only? Besides a million traffic lights the current ground routes seem to be doing relatively ok.
May I say that I agree totally, and forcefully. I do not understand why any forward-thinking city government would not harness this opportunity, and build it.
The "layout" is somewwhat already there geographically, and the connection from Hwy 1 directly and quickly west is much-needed.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I wonder if there's a scenario in which a private-sector endeavour would be permitted to undertake a tolled tunnel project. Subject to all typical governmental reviews, of course.
Still going to be vetoed by City Council. For them, it's the principle of the thing, not who's paying for it.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
Think of how many bike lanes you can buy with all that tunnel money
Or, far more likely, how much transit infrastructure you could buy with it. You'd be able to move way more people far more effectively than with a tunnel that would be over 80% filled with single occupancy vehicles.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:27 AM

Cambie Bridge Improvements Open House Dec 2017

I stopped in at the open house for the proposed bike lane back in December. While the boards are all online, I wanted to share these two boards specifically, as they both dispel the myth that traffic has increased, and illustrate the need for a second cycling lane. When I left at 8 pm, just over 100 people had come through the event. I would say that the majority of the attendees were mostly positive, though I have heard that the emails they received have been more on the negative side.

Something I overheard is that while staff weren't opposed to widening the bridge, there just isn't money in the budget for it. This temporary solution only comes out to about $400k; Personally, I feel that is a good value for the amount to be spent. Also expect to see more city lead events at the former Lulu location in Crossroads, as apparently the city has leased it out for a year.

Link to the Open House Boards:
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/cambie...2017-11-30.pdf

Link to Comment Sheet:
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/Cambie...ment-Sheet.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:55 AM
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Wow a north shore MLA might actually do something about traffic instead of just talk about it:

Quote:
North Shore traffic woes get provincial support from local MLA
Local mayors say they're glad to see officials come together to tackle congestion

Traffic and transportation woes on Metro Vancouver's North Shore are getting provincial attention in the form of a project aimed at bringing the region's mayors and leaders together to tackle the issue.

NDP MLA Bowinn Ma, Parliamentary Secretary for TransLink, has put forward a proposal for an Integrated North Shore Transportation Planning Project to address the area's ongoing traffic congestion issues.

"Every politician on the North Shore knows that transportation is a massive issue, but unfortunately we do not have a collective plan for how we can actually move forward as a region," Ma said.

The project proposes to bring together the mayors of the City of North Vancouver, the District of North Vancouver and the District of West Vancouver, as well as the Ministry of Transportation and TransLink.

Congestion on the North Shore has been getting progressively worse in the past few years, with a construction boom blamed for the increasing counterflow traffic.

The North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce says congestion is so bad it has been affecting local businesses.

Municipalities onboard

On Monday, the District of West Vancouver put its support behind the project at a council meeting. City of North Vancouver Mayor Darrell Mussatto says he expects his council to do the same next week.

"Transportation is one of the top two issues here on the North Shore and it's becoming almost unbearable," Mussatto said.

Mussatto said it's been a long time since all the regional and provincial officials have come together to address transportation problems.

"We've always done a piecemeal approach so I really applaud our MLA for doing this," he said.

Mussatto said he hopes the multi-level approach will help to put together long-term plans to resolve the problem.

He said the priority for the City of North Vancouver is to look at traffic coming to and from the Second Narrows and Lions Gate bridges.

Mussatto said experts have shown that there needs to be better public transportation to alleviate traffic problems.

"We have to give people options to get across the inlet without using their car," Mussatto said.

District of North Vancouver Mayor Richard Walton said he was also pleased with the initiative, and expects council to be supportive of the project.

Walton agreed that public transportation was an important issue. He also said more needs to be done to upgrade highway interchanges to minimize the impact of regional traffic.

Walton said that although upgrades to the Second Narrows Bridge aren't currently a priority for the province, he hopes that may change.

Ma acknowledged that there are competing priorities throughout the North Shore, and she doesn't think the region's transportation conundrum can be resolved with one solution.

Still, she hopes to move the project along quickly — she's hoping to have a report ready by mid-June.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-mla-1.4479528

Her proposal: https://westvancouver.ca/sites/defau...8jan08-6.1.pdf

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:54 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...pril-1.4489706
People on news1130 twitter were asking why not just build a brand new 4 lane one. I agree but we all know how un proactive the BC government is about roads in this province.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
People on news1130 twitter were asking why not just build a brand new 4 lane one. I agree but we all know how un proactive the BC government is about roads in this province.
It's been noted in the City of Surrey's 10 Year Infrastructure Plan to 4 lane the overpass. I recall seeing it in the 10 year plan a number of years ago, and it keeps being shifted back. A major lack of foresight to not reconstruct and 4 lane it at this point of time IMO.

http://cosmos.surrey.ca/external/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
It's ridiculous the province couldn't fast track the replacement since funds had to be spent regardless.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
It's ridiculous the province couldn't fast track the replacement since funds had to be spent regardless.
Is it just me or has the NDP put any and all infrastructure projects on hold?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interrobang View Post
It's been noted in the City of Surrey's 10 Year Infrastructure Plan to 4 lane the overpass. I recall seeing it in the 10 year plan a number of years ago, and it keeps being shifted back. A major lack of foresight to not reconstruct and 4 lane it at this point of time IMO.

http://cosmos.surrey.ca/external/
Lol another 10 year plan. How many of them are there in BC? Might as well call them the 100 year plan.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:02 AM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
A public meeting is being held later this month to talk about the expected changes on the Haney Bypass in Maple Ridge to try and improve traffic conditions.

The meeting is being held on Jan. 31 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the ACT Arts Centre in Maple Ridge at 11944 Haney Place.

Staff with the Ministry of Transportation will be there to answer questions and provide more information about the changes which target four specific areas along Lougheed Highway.
  • the reconfiguration of the intersection of Lougheed Highway and 222nd Street
  • the reconfiguration of the intersection of Lougheed Highway and Kanaka Way
  • a new traffic signal at Lougheed Highway and Callaghan Avenue
  • a new traffic signal at Lougheed Highway at 227th Street
Members of BC Housing and the City of Maple Ridge will also be there as all three agencies ask for your feedback.

The upgrades are part of an overall $70 million previously approved project for the Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge and Mission corridor.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:42 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Lol another 10 year plan. How many of them are there in BC? Might as well call them the 100 year plan.
"10 year plan" is the code word for "This is the next person's problem."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure