HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:22 PM
TransitJack TransitJack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 397
^ NIMBY's, who needs them

Remember, the NDP not only pushed forward on the M Line, they also changed it's route, going from Lougheed Towne to NewWest, instead of to Coquitlam as was originally proposed. Imagine if they had just gone to Coquitlam right away, we might then be a big step closer to the UBC extension..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:24 PM
TransitJack TransitJack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ that is, only if they get out of Broadway....would have been nice to have the Canada Line elevated along the Cambie median. The views would be incredible. And then have it underground just before it reaches King Edward.
Have you ever driven down Lougheed Highway in Burnaby, the guideway looks horrible. I don't think anyone wanted that type of eyesore down Cambie Street, or any street for that matter. Regardless of how good the "views" are.

Underground all the way!!! (to UBC)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 8:08 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is online now
with glowing hearts
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: █♣█ Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
^ NIMBY's, who needs them

Remember, the NDP not only pushed forward on the M Line, they also changed it's route, going from Lougheed Towne to NewWest, instead of to Coquitlam as was originally proposed. Imagine if they had just gone to Coquitlam right away, we might then be a big step closer to the UBC extension..
Yea, I don't understand why they didn't build it all at once...instead, deciding to phase it. Oh well, it's history. Move on, look forward.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
Have you ever driven down Lougheed Highway in Burnaby, the guideway looks horrible. I don't think anyone wanted that type of eyesore down Cambie Street, or any street for that matter. Regardless of how good the "views" are.

Underground all the way!!! (to UBC)
UBC would be underground because there's no space anywhere to build an elevated guideway nevermind elevated stations. On Cambie, you've got a wide median for that and we could've saved $$$$$$.....$$$$$$.....$$$$$.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:01 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 26,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitJack View Post
Have you ever driven down Lougheed Highway in Burnaby, the guideway looks horrible.
The switching from side to middle to side of Lougheed Highway is brutal. The reason they did it was to keep it far from residential uses - but the "bents" (i.e. post and lintel supports) used to support the guideway are incredibly ugly. Having the Canada Line stations on the side of the road allows a much better scale for the guideway and stations. It also has no bents for the guideway (they do exist for the stations).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:28 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,636
hard to believe that the C-Line will open in only about 10 days time. For the most part, I'm pretty pleased with the stations. Can't wait for the fare gates to be installed, and the smart card system installed :]

Did anyone see the lights on the C-line bridge (is it the south arm bridge? the one that is parallel to the Oak Street bridge?) go up a few nights ago? I was driving on Kent Ave the other night, and saw the lights for the bicycle lanes go up. It looked really nice to have that bridge light up! I think they were only testing, 'cause they didn't leave the lights on for very long. But it was nice while it was on :]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:40 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 12,171
I guess I am one of the few who likes driving down Lougheed with the huge guide-way above and beside me, gives a big city feel that is often lacking in Vancouver (or maybe it just reminds me of Japan, you know, urban beauty) Also the M-line alignment is good IMO, especially when considering the two missing pieces yet to be built. Without it we would probably not have Brentwood Towncenter as it is today. Lougheed is doing good as well.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:18 PM
LotusLand LotusLand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I guess I am one of the few who likes driving down Lougheed with the huge guide-way above and beside me, gives a big city feel that is often lacking in Vancouver (or maybe it just reminds me of Japan, you know, urban beauty) Also the M-line alignment is good IMO, especially when considering the two missing pieces yet to be built. Without it we would probably not have Brentwood Towncenter as it is today. Lougheed is doing good as well.
Burnaby in general has done quite well developing around its skytrain stations. In Vancouver I hope to see the same for Commercial, 29th, Marine/Cambie, etc...
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.