HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which 2nd language would you choose to have on skytrain if need be
Mandarin 8 16.00%
Cantonese 7 14.00%
Japanese 2 4.00%
Korean 1 2.00%
Hindi 1 2.00%
French 29 58.00%
Spanish 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:54 PM

Which 2nd language would you choose to have implemented on skytrain if need be?

Lets take this conversation away from the Canada line thread so we don't pollute it anymore.

I chose Mandarin, seeing how the second most common language I encounter in Metro-Vancouver after English is Mandarin, and a metro should be built to serve the people who use it, not a group of people thousands of km away from the city.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:59 PM

No 'English only' option?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:01 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

I voted for Mandarin as well... but I don't want the station names translated though...

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
No 'English only' option?
It is if we had to choose. But i guess i should have added that as an option as well.

Lower Lonsdale YIMBY

Another non-vote for me due to no English only option.

We should be encouraging integration, not separation. There are already far too many people in Vancouver that are impossible to communicate with.

victory in near

lets have all languages spoken within the metro region represented, especially for that voice that comes on to tell you which station is next. it would be awesome if that announcement took about 5 minutes.

give me a break. english only

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:09 PM

Can one edit a poll to include english only? (if mods can, please add that option)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:26 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

If we're going to make the SkyTrain network Bilingual, French should be the only language considered simply because it is Canada's other official language. If we're going to make the SkyTrain trilingual, then Mandrin or Hindi would be the other two languages to consider.

That said, I'm with the English only crowd.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:28 PM

None - too many people come here and can barely speak any English. I spoke to a person that was born here that can barely speak English at a 5 year old level (they are ~22 and can speak their "native" language normally).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:45 PM
loafing in lotusland

English only. But where's Esperanto?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:48 PM

This is a no-brainer – English only.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:53 PM

Cantonese only.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:58 PM
with glowing hearts

I think adding another language, even our nation's second official language French, would open a pandora's box to language laws here in the west coast. But if I had to choose, either Mando or Canto.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:16 PM

I voted French, simply because it is the official language and I know over a dozen people who speaks it including my wife who handles French language insurance claims for work.

Then again I know people who speak Japanese, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Polish, Spanish, Punjabi, Hindi, German, Korean, Portugese, Russian, and more, I say for the sake of unification that we just stick with English only.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:53 PM

The Census shows that Cantonese is actually the most common Chinese dialect in Canada, but it's a close race (no pun intended?).

However, according to the census, "Of prime working-age Chinese immigrants, 89% reported knowing at least one official language" (copied from Wiki).

So, to cover the most bases possible, it seems like English is good enough, if not, then add French. But it has to be like cereal boxes, where the French isn't a direct translation from English, or even close, but the overall gist is the same.

I would rather take on the French haters than start some fight between Cantonese and Mandarin speakers over which one is better.

But I think English only covers all the bases. We could always set up some kind of short range FM band that has other announcements so people with portable radios can hear the announcements in other Languages.

But it's not really needed. Our system is not complex on a global scale. And our station names are English names anyway. What is the point of a Chinese announcement if it still says "Yaletown" or "Broadway" or "Bridgeport"?

It would also be OK to speed up the in train LED messages and display characters from multiple languages but keep the spoken language English.

If you don't know English, missing the transfer at Bridgeport (the most complex part of our system) is the least of your problems in the City of Vancouver and a pretty easy mistake to rectify.

The TVM's speak multiple languages, which I think is the most critical part for people to understand. If the TVM's were a little more helpful in more than just selling tickets, like with maps and recommendations for tourists, it would be nice too.

I think a HUGE difference would be to have the TVMs sell tickets based on Destination, not just zones. Selling by the Zone is good and quick for people in the know, but it would be helpful if a person at the Airport could buy a ticket by saying they are going Downtown, or Richmond. It works out pretty well as cities are confined entirely in a single zone. So you can say you are going to Vancouver, or Richmond, or Burnaby, or Surrey, or Coquitlam, or North Vancouver, and the machine would then sell you a ticket for the appropriate number of zones (based on the machine you are at). Like have a big help button that brings up a destination based interface. And if you don't know what city you are going to, then what are you doing out of your house in the first place?

I've spoken to a few people while on the Canada Line, (I guess people liked talking to me because I was in a suit, other than that, I have no idea why I got asked so many questions) and most of the questions are about zones.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 11:05 PM

English over.

Learn our language.

I don't expect English pasted over the Hong Kong Metro.

but if I had to choose. French only. We're a bilingual country officially.

In fact, I would crack down on all foreign language signages for businesses or whatever. Is it fair for me, as a English-only Canadian to not know whether a business is a bowling alley or a grocery store? Sounds harsh, but I am super glad Immigration Canada is now requiring a language test before they can be approved to immigrate.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
well, then hong kong would turn out to be wayyyy beyond your expectations

"ching mut kow gun chei moon" all the way!

only for the richmond stations though. would seem kinda out of the place if they announced that in yaletown.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 11:13 PM

English only and if we had to have two then French. Learn one or both, pretty simple.

As the saying goes, "When in Rome....."

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 11:16 PM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post

lol....you will be quite surprised then, with the MTR's signage branding, and both the station and onboard automated announcements.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
Mac User

english only.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure