HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:22 AM
Meh

Austin | The Liberty (14th & Lavaca) | 413 Feet | 32 Floors | Proposed

Quote:
AUSTIN
South Texas developer planning office-apartment project near Capitol

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, October 09, 2009

A Rio Grande Valley developer wants to build a 12-story mixed-use project with apartments, offices, shops and an upscale restaurant near the Capitol.

Palmco Inc., a builder with offices in Austin and McAllen, is proposing to erect its Capitol Terrace project for the southwest corner of Lavaca and 14th streets. It would have 30 apartments — housing aimed at lobbyists and others with business at the Capitol or state agencies — as well as 61,000 square feet of office space on five floors, said John Donisi, an attorney and partner with Drenner & Golden Stuart Wolff LP.

The law firm is representing Palmco in its request for a variance to local zoning laws to construct a taller building than what city rules allow in the area. As proposed, Capitol Terrace would stand as tall as 163 feet in an area where zoning rules limit building heights to 120 feet.

Jerry Lammers ALAMO ARCHITECTS, INC. The Capitol Terrace project would have 30 apartments —primarily for lobbyists and others with state business — and 61,000 square feet of office space on five floors.
Read more

Last edited by Urbannizer; Nov 9, 2021 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:26 AM
Meh

Quote:
New mixed-use project planned for downtown

By Shonda Novak | Thursday, October 8, 2009, 12:32 PM

A South Texas developer is proposing to build a 12-story building with apartments, offices, shops and a white-tablecloth restaurant near the Capitol.

Palmco, Inc., a developer and builder with offices in McAllen and Austin, wants to build Capitol Terrace at the southwest corner of Lavaca and 14th streets.

It would have 30 upscale apartments, aimed at lobbyists and others with business at the Capitol or state agencies, as well as five floors (61,000 square feet) of office space, said John Donisi, an attorney and partner with Drenner & Golden Stuart Wolff LP.

The firm is representing Palmco in its request for a zoning change to build a larger, taller building than city rules allow.

The developer plans a building with up to 163 feet high, where zoning now limits it to 120 feet.

Pending necessary approvals from the city, Palmco would start construction in the second quarter of 2010.
Read more

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:44 AM

I know that is a sketch rendering, but I think I am digging the design. As long as it doesn't look like the fake urban stuff in West Campus, I am very thrilled about this.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
I know that is a sketch rendering, but I think I am digging the design. As long as it doesn't look like the fake urban stuff in West Campus, I am very thrilled about this.
could be brick, but likely stucco. the drawing gives it "presence", but we're used to seeing drawings do that. my expectations are low, as it's pretty squat and who knows how committed they are to executing on the ground floor retail/restaurant, but it'll be better than what's there now.

if they hold true to great streets and genuinely activate the streetscape by providing good access to ground floor retail, then this could be a terrific addition to "Uptown"

My2

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:24 AM
Meh

It's a good height too. Taller than a few buildings, but shorter than others. 163 feet would make it fit in well I think.

Westgate Tower (261 feet)
Clements State Office Building (237 feet)
Wells Fargo Tower (234 feet)
Travis County Jail (204 feet)
Doubletree Austin Guest Suites (183 feet)
Cambridge Tower (181 feet)
Moonlight Towers (165) (There's one up the street at 15th & Guadalupe).
Capitol Terrace (163 feet)
Texas Medical Association (156 feet)
La Vista on Lavaca (143 feet)
Daniel Price Building (137 feet)
Executive Office Building (133 feet)
Texas Assoc. of Counties Bldg. (132 feet)
1108 Lavaca (126 feet)
1616 Guadalupe (126 feet)
Penthouse Condominiums (119 feet)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:03 AM

it's a cube. A stucco or brick cube. ugh

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:20 AM
Meh

It's alright. It kind of reminds me of some of the old department store buildings in New York. Let's face it, for it to not be squatty, it would have to be more narrow, which would mean it would have to be taller to achieve the same square footage. And with the Capitol nearby I doubt many people would go for that. I think this is a pretty good height, and yes even shape considering the location. My main concern is the facade design/materials and making sure that it really does help the street level.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's alright. It kind of reminds me of some of the old department store buildings in New York. Let's face it, for it to not be squatty, it would have to be more narrow, which would mean it would have to be taller to achieve the same square footage. And with the Capitol nearby I doubt many people would go for that. I think this is a pretty good height, and yes even shape considering the location. My main concern is the facade design/materials and making sure that it really does help the street level.
you know Kevin, in my fantasy I saw it having the potential of a 20's building, just as you say, like an old department store. If the finish out is that detailed I would be thrilled, but this has the potential of being as bad as the building at 12th and Lavaca...across from Westgate. (same folks as the tragic ABC bank on 5th). So....lets hope it lives up to our fantasies. The architect is the same person who did the Neiman's at the Domain. So... maybe there is hope! Just tired of boring infill.!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:30 PM

Lightbulb

Why do developers always want to avoid zoning restrictions?

Quote:
The developer plans a building with up to 163 feet high, where zoning now limits it to 120 feet.
163/120 = 1.358, that's more than one third taller than what the city had previously zoned.

What wrong with living with a 12 story 120 feet tall building, allowing 10 feet per story? Do the developers really need some 20 feet tall stories?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:24 PM
Meh

For reference, here are the companies involved:

The architects:
http://www.alamoarchitects.com/

The developers. This is their Austin office, which doesn't offer much on their site.
http://www.palmcoinc.com/

Here's their McAllen office.
http://palmcoinc.com/palmco/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:45 PM

For a mid-rise (low-rise?) zoned area, something like this is good. I like the fact that the full height/mass of the building is right at the street; no setbacks. There seem to be surprisingly few of these in Austin. The point towers are great to make the skyline look impressive from a distance, but on street level this kind of building adds more to the dense, urban canyon feel.

We need more of the effect shown in this pic by Samwill89 pic.. imagine if those buildings were all 12 story instead of many being 4-6.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:07 PM

Here is the site as it looks today

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
Meh

By the way, the two buildings in the background there are the Penthouse Condominiums and Executive Office Building. They're 119 feet and 133 feet tall. This building would be 30 feet taller than the one on the right. So basically 2 floors taller.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
Meh

By the way, there were some comments on Statesman.com talking about this building possibly blocking a view corridor (not true). This building will stand outside of the view corridor of course, otherwise it wouldn't be allowed at that height anyway, beyond what only the city says about it.

Capitol Terrace will stand at the southwest corner of West 14th Street & Lavaca Street. Notice that in the Capitol View Corridor map below, that it will stand immediately north of one. So it will not block the view of the capitol in that view corridor.

http://downtownaustin.wordpress.com/...n-austin-maps/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Maybe because they are ridiculous? It is DOWNTOWN isn't it? I can't figure out why people are so against tall buildings downtown..... Where are you supposed to put the tall buildings if you don't put them DOWNTOWN?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Where are you supposed to put the tall buildings if you don't put them DOWNTOWN?
That sums up so much of the ironic hyperbole spewing from the ANC cronies.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:06 AM
JACKinBeantown

Actually 14th street isn't really downtown. If you want to define it as such, that's up to you.

I have no doubt this building will be built taller than the allowable 120 feet. It's For Lobbyists And By Lobbyists (FLABL - "Full o' Bull").

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
By the way, there were some comments on Statesman.com talking about this building possibly blocking a view corridor (not true). This building will stand outside of the view corridor of course, otherwise it wouldn't be allowed at that height anyway, beyond what only the city says about it.

Capitol Terrace will stand at the southwest corner of West 14th Street & Lavaca Street. Notice that in the Capitol View Corridor map below, that it will stand immediately north of one. So it will not block the view of the capitol in that view corridor.
Partially true. As proposed, the building does block a sliver of a corridor. I believe they are seeking a variance for that, too.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Actually 14th street isn't really downtown. If you want to define it as such, that's up to you.

I have no doubt this building will be built taller than the allowable 120 feet. It's For Lobbyists And By Lobbyists (FLABL - "Full o' Bull").
In terms of how people currently think of downtown, I would agree with you. But, in fact, the boundaries of both DANA and the DAA include 14th St and actually include everything south of MLK.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post

163/120 = 1.358, that's more than one third taller than what the city had previously zoned.

What wrong with living with a 12 story 120 feet tall building, allowing 10 feet per story? Do the developers really need some 20 feet tall stories?
10 feet floor to floor is adequate for parking and residential, but too low for retail and office. Even residential is better if it is 11 or 12 feet floor to floor, because there is usually HVAC ducts and other things like sprinkler piping below the structural ceiling. Office is usually 12 - 14 feet floor to floor and retail should be between 14 -20 feet to create pleasant spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin