HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 10:18 PM
What we play is life.

A Calgary Sampler.

mmm...delicious.
I have put together a small collection of photos from a couple days ago when I was messing about in Bridgeland. This is a sampling of a large post I'm making on the CUI site hopefully tomorrow (If I get it all together that is, might be Monday). These are some pretty standard pics, but fun none the less. Not spectacular, but I have to save the ones I really love for one of a kind prints. Hope you enjoy these seconds though! I enjoyed taking them.

I hate this pic, but I know some of you ADORE Arriva, so I left it in...

Hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 10:38 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
I hate this pic, but I know some of you ADORE Arriva, so I left it in...
Am I feeling some love being sent my way here?

Awesome pictures, making me miss my old stomping grounds of the last 3 years!

You know if it turns out I have some wall space of my own when we move(damn arriva, all windows and no walls! ), I would be seriously interested in purchasing a small print or two.

Edit: Not a print of the arriva one, I agree it is weaker. But some of the others are awesome stuff! And you call this your seconds? DAMN!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 1:47 AM
Urbis Maximus

Nice, I really like the pic with PetroCan in the background.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:10 AM

Some great shots in there Arriviste! From the top-down, I really like 3, 11, 16, and 20.

Great stuff.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:32 AM
Calgreedian

Quote:
I like this one
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:01 PM

Quote:

Hope you enjoyed!
I like that one.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:05 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Am I feeling some love being sent my way here?

Awesome pictures, making me miss my old stomping grounds of the last 3 years!

You know if it turns out I have some wall space of my own when we move(damn arriva, all windows and no walls! ), I would be seriously interested in purchasing a small print or two.

Edit: Not a print of the arriva one, I agree it is weaker. But some of the others are awesome stuff! And you call this your seconds? DAMN!
I'm glad you picked up on it. Couldn't leave out a pic of Arriva when we have a self described Arriva whore in our midst.
If you ever want to see some of the prints, I'd be more than happy to show you!
Thanks for the comments everyone, they are truly appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:19 PM

I know lots of people like it, but personally I don't 'get' the idea of taking pictures of garbage, vandalism, rundown buildings, junk, etc. Maybe I'm just not 'artsy' enough.

You are definitely a good photographer, I won't argue that, but this batch isn't for me.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:30 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuber View Post
I know lots of people like it, but personally I don't 'get' the idea of taking pictures of garbage, vandalism, rundown buildings, junk, etc. Maybe I'm just not 'artsy' enough.

You are definitely a good photographer, I won't argue that, but this batch isn't for me.
Temptation to make a joke about how you are from Edmonton and thus "to blue collar" to get the photos rising...

Nah I'm just kidding, different strokes for different folks man. Hey I never got what that whole Meat Dress was about, or those 3 stripes that the government bought for like a millions bucks!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:03 PM
Round Head

I love seeing these kinds of photos - and you do them very well. There are so many dirty little nooks and crannys in a city that you barely notice in everyday life.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Temptation to make a joke about how you are from Edmonton and thus "to blue collar" to get the photos rising...
lol

Though I'm far from blue collar. I mean some of the pictures do look cool, but I don't get what makes you want to go out and take these type of pics. Someone throw me a bone here... I want to know what people are thinking that like to take/view these types of pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
There are so many dirty little nooks and crannys in a city that you barely notice in everyday life.
And why would you want to??? I must need help. lol

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 4:30 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
lol

Though I'm far from blue collar. I mean some of the pictures do look cool, but I don't get what makes you want to go out and take these type of pics. Someone throw me a bone here... I want to know what people are thinking that like to take/view these types of pics.
You know I'm not too sure either, but I think a lot of it comes down to the eye of the photographer. I know I could grab a camera and try to do what Arriviste did, and would fail horribly. He seems to have a real talent for bringing these scenes to life!

Our other forumer Bokimon is the master when it comes to taking shots of aviation, and he is quickly becoming quite adept at the city shots as well. Same for Boris550, with his new camera in tow.

All 3 of these guys, and countless others on our forum each seem to have a style that is really cool to see evolve and refine over time!

The reason I've expressed interest in perhaps obtaining a few prints of these is they just speak to me. I'm not so sure how to explain it, but I would just love to have them hanging on a wall somewhere. The fact that I'll be living back in the inner city shortly makes me want them even more now, as it fits the image of the big city and all the contrasts and sights that can be seen if you walk off the beaten path a little.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:16 PM
effete latte-lifter

Byron, you're kicking ass once again. I missed you when you disappeared there for a while.

It would be great if CUI could organize some sort of exhibit, even if it was digital (projectors?) of the great photography going one here.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:36 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
lol

And why would you want to??? I must need help. lol
Now worries at all! They certainly aren't to everyones tastes, that is for sure.
AS far as what compels me to produce these images, well thats something I can't completely answer. Josh and I were talking about this today actually, and I think for me personally I love abandonment, and derelict scenes for they have so much life. I love the fact that these objects have existed as new once loved places or things, and have progressed through an undefinable series of events to arrive at this moment. They were all utilized for their intended purpose, perhaps lovingly, and fulfilled a certain niche, yet after so many generations they are just representations of a different time, and hold little significance to anyone. More or less I am attempting to bring back the love and adulation that once existed for these things because I personally am unable to properly deal with the passage of time, and neglect. Creating images such as these help me come to terms with my own mortality, and the fact that someday I will be similar to everything I photograph... A relic of a time since passed, with something to offer those whom dare to look. I feel that there is so much beauty in this world that we overlook because the shine has worn off, or the method has become obsolete. Our constant desire for that which is new and fresh wares on my soul. I just adore the unloved.
Hope that helps!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 6:39 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Byron, you're kicking ass once again. I missed you when you disappeared there for a while.

It would be great if CUI could organize some sort of exhibit, even if it was digital (projectors?) of the great photography going one here.
And I missed you guys! Sorry I was so MIA. My contract in BC was all encompassing!
Your idea of an exhibit is a terrific one. I have been considering renting a temp gallery for some time now. I need to compile all those that are printed, and all those that I feel need to be. Its a HUGE and costly task, but something that I would love to do. It would be even better if we could do within the context of an urban appreciation event of some kind. Bring together street artists of varying genres. I think you are on too something!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:09 PM
Majestic

The grittier the better. "Yummmmmmm~!"

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Hope that helps!
Great explanation!

You are definitely looking at it completely different than I was. My accountant brain must not be creative enough. lol They try and teach us to think 'outside the box' but it doesn't always work for me.

Great photography skills though. Pictures do look impressive even if it isn't what I would look at.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:54 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Great explanation!

You are definitely looking at it completely different than I was. My accountant brain must not be creative enough. lol They try and teach us to think 'outside the box' but it doesn't always work for me.

Great photography skills though. Pictures do look impressive even if it isn't what I would look at.
Thanks! I appreciate the open mindedness. Its great to hear of people who cannot necessarily understand something (much as I would not understand even a fraction of the math you do everyday) but appreciate why it could mean something to someone else. Really, its a refreshing mindset, one I wish more folks would adopt.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 8:18 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Thanks! I appreciate the open mindedness. Its great to hear of people who cannot necessarily understand something (much as I would not understand even a fraction of the math you do everyday) but appreciate why it could mean something to someone else. Really, its a refreshing mindset, one I wish more folks would adopt.
It's all about relativism.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 7:54 AM

Some good pics in there Arriviste, and a great explanation of the drive to capture these scenes and appreciate them. I most definitely get the allure, but can certainly understand why some people would not. For me, while I do like crisp and clean buildings, pictures, clothing, etc., I also love to see the wear time and other factors have had on once great things and places. It is very intriguing to think of the events some things have gone through and the stories and lives they have shaped.

Anyway, not to take away from what you've posted here, but a site some might find interesting is Abandoned Places. This guy takes photos of mostly factories and hospitals, even entire towns in Europe that have since been abandoned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos