Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Chicago Title & Trust Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:25 AM
BANNED

Cool CHICAGO | Chicago Title Tower | 756 FT / 230 M | 50 FLOORS | 1992

Built in 1992, the Chicago Title Tower (formerly Chicago Title and Trust Center) was a pleasant distraction from the popular style of the time, post-modernism. This building was originally planned to have a twin next door, but it was never built. In addition to being one sexy chunk of architecture, it serves a vital role to the Real Estate industry in Chicago, housing the Chicago Title Insurance Company (formerly Chicago Title and Trust), a prominent title insurer.

Enjoy:

Chicagoarchitecture.info

Chicagoarchitecture.info

thechicagotraveler.com

wikipedia

I created this thread because I think this is a largely overlooked building with a great and unique design and would like to hear everyone's opinion, please share!

I personally really like this building and think its a great addition to Chicago's diverse collection of architectural styles. Its one of those uber-modern buildings that you see in Tokyo or other Asian cities, something we don't have a lot of around here. What I find more shocking is that it was built during the early 90's when POMO shit stacks were all the rage. Its a shame its twin was never built.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:28 AM
Desert Dweller

I LOVE this building, one of Chicago's many overlooked postmodern masterpieces Its a shame both towers werent built, but oh well, at least we got one!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:22 AM

I've always been a fan of this one as well. Hope you don't mind if I add one of mine:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 3:34 PM
BANNED

^^^ No, by all means, add as many pictures as you have, this building is not only ignored, but rarely photographed, partially because it is somewhat surrounded from 3 of the 4 directions. Do you have any pictures from the NE? Those seem to be the rarest.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:06 PM
Registered

I've always liked this building too. The lobby and detailing near the base are superb. It has a richness and an opulence you won't see for a while - that might have been the best thing about the Postmodern age. Everyone certainly should take a step into the lobby if one hasn't before - it's sleek and modern without feeling cold or empty.

Also admirable is the integration of the various design elements on the front facade. I believe the AIA guide claims there is "simply too much going on," but I don't agree with that. One wishes the individual design elements were more clearly distinct, but it's nice to see something with a lot of energy rising up near all of the reserved Modernist buildings of the Loop.

Also attractive is the crown from the west, which is one of the city's most interesting without being overly historic in its form.

I am not a fan of the building from the sides, however. I think the clarity of the composition starts to break down. Also, the massing feels awkward, with the form stopping too abruptly. From the rear, it fares better, although it never made any sense to me either. But I begin to like it more, as it seems to contextualize with the top of 1 S. Dearborn and perhaps even the Stone Container building too.

I am glad they did not build the twin, because I think one of these is perfect. Twin tower proposals usually don't work for me. I hope one day soon the new garage will bite the dust and we will have a slender, taller tower on that site. This building will look better with neighbors, but it should have contrast, not a twin.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:09 PM

Chicago Title is a favorite of mine as well.
Below is an illustration of the original proposal.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:27 PM

I think this building is awesome, something you dont see often. As Honte said, it would be cool if something taller was built on the new garage someday, something that contrast, something that will make you look at the building. Until that day, I think we have enough, this building just brings life to the loop, with its color and difference.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:36 PM

Definitely has a great design, would have made a great supertall.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I LOVE this building, one of Chicago's many overlooked postmodern masterpieces Its a shame both towers werent built, but oh well, at least we got one!
this building isn't really postmodern.

i like this building btw. i don't really like the base though; i think the overall simplicity of the tower really breaks down at the base. but it's pretty nice considering kpf's abundance of crap built durring the 80's and 90's. i also think the twin towers were a bad idea. i'd like to see something new and different built on the garage site.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 7:47 PM
them bones

Alot of KPF's work during this time tended to be extremely over-fussy. That's not the case with this tower at all. I've always liked it's soft color on the hard, dark Chicago skyline and I dearly wish that the 2nd tower had been built. I'm not a huge fan of twins, but this one would have been really nice.

This is the only shot I have of the base (taken in 1999):

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 12:10 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
I am glad they did not build the twin, because I think one of these is perfect. Twin tower proposals usually don't work for me. I hope one day soon the new garage will bite the dust and we will have a slender, taller tower on that site. This building will look better with neighbors, but it should have contrast, not a twin.

I aree, some buildings more then others you can imagine better as twins then others and I don't think it would have made a good canidate.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
California goth

Gonna stray from popular opinion here and say glad that the second tower wasn't built. It looks great as a single tower. No need to multiply a unique design. I tend to prefer twins when the towers are straight up rectangular boxes.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 3:59 PM
in training

its a decent addition to the Chicago skyline IMO. here are my pictures, taken from city hall roof (June 08):

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 5:18 PM

I've always been fond of this building. . . there was a time in the late 1980s early 1990s when architects in Chicago added po-mo elements to their buildings that were paying homage to Itallian Futurist designs and this is probably the best example of that. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Chicago Title is a favorite of mine as well.
Below is an illustration of the original proposal.

Why Not?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 5:42 PM

Cool

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 6:34 PM
BANNED

I would still have liked to see the twin built. It would really have made a difference at the base and balanced it out. Now the symmetry of the building is ruined by the base awkwardly going off to one side...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 4:41 AM

I love it, it's what i like to call, a classy building
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 4:44 AM
tilted & shifted

I've always thought Title was an attractive building. I only wish the east facade were more interesting.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 8:37 AM
Chicago

November 26, 2008

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture