HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:24 AM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,407
Calgary - Downtown - Skylines, Plazas, and Historic Buildings

Calgary is the 3rd largest city in Canada by population (1,240,000) and is the largest city of the Calgary Census Metropolitan Area in Alberta (containing 1,393,000, the 4th largest in Canada).

Downtown is located on a gentle bend of the Bow River which forms its Northern boundary. I will define Downtown as including the adjacent districts of Downtown Commercial Core, Downtown West End, Eau Claire, Downtown East Village, and Chinatown, as well as Beltline to the South of those districts.

This thread will focus on some skylines and then to various public plazas and spaces before showing a collection of the historic buildings in the area.


Skyline as seen from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology:





Skylines around Downtown:



















Stephen Avenue Walk structures:
One block of this pedestrian mall features these soaring sculptures.







The Core Shopping Centre:
This indoor mall connects three blocks of downtown's retail concentration.





CTrain stations along 7th Avenue:
For nearly it's entire length of downtown, this street forms the spine of the city's light rail system.















A small plaza at the corner of 1 St SW and 9 Ave SW:



A larger plaza along Centre St. S:







Another plaza, this one is located in the East Village:





Beltline Park:









Harley Hotchkiss Gardens:

















Olympic Park:
This plaza was built for the 1988 Winter Olympics hosted by Calgary.









A sculpture group in another half-block park:



Central Memorial Park:















Stephen Avenue:
Downtown's greatest concentration of historic buildings is situated along several blocks of a renamed 8th Ave that forms a pedestrian mall.























More historic buildings, not located along Stephen Avenue:



















Mewata Armoury:





More historic buildings, with prominent brick facades:















Fairmont Palliser Hotel:









Old Courthouse:



Memorial Park Public Library:







More historic buildings:





















All photos taken by geomorph in 2017.

For my other Calgary threads, see:

Downtown - Bow River Waterfront: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=234312

Downtown - Highrises 1: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...17#post8247517

Downtown - Highrises 2:

Last edited by geomorph; Jul 11, 2018 at 2:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 2:26 PM
EastSideHBG's Avatar
EastSideHBG EastSideHBG is offline
Me?!?
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Philadelphia Metro (Norristown, PA)
Posts: 10,013
Beautiful!
__________________
Right before your eyes you're victimized, guys, that's the world of today, and it ain't civilized...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 4:04 PM
JMKeynes's Avatar
JMKeynes JMKeynes is offline
In the long run...
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SW3
Posts: 524
REALLY, REALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

That's one of the nicest cities in North America.

Great photos too!!!

__________________
"Men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 11:37 PM
Urbanguy's Avatar
Urbanguy Urbanguy is offline
Go Beavs! Go Niners!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland | Honolulu
Posts: 5,962
The first photo of the skyline is awesome, great angle.

Calgary, at least in these pics seem so shiny, new & well-manicured that IMO it feels like it's missing something...I can't quite put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong though, the city looks great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:22 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Calgary is the 3rd largest city in Canada by population (1,240,000) and is the largest city of the Calgary Census Metropolitan Area in Alberta (containing 1,393,000, the 4th largest in Canada).

Downtown is located on a gentle bend of the Bow River which forms its Northern boundary. I will define Downtown as including the adjacent districts of Downtown Commercial Core, Downtown West End, Eau Claire, Downtown East Village, and Chinatown, as well as Beltline to the South of those districts.

This thread will focus on some skylines and then to various public plazas and spaces before showing a collection of the historic buildings in the area.


Skyline as seen from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology:

I'd like to know how does a city with only a metro population of 1 to 2 million people have such a large and dense downtown. I'm sure it has to do with the difference between American and Canadian governments, but it would be interesting to know more about that. Compare other American cities of that same size metro population, and their downtowns are much smaller, and sprawl is much greater.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:21 AM
Nite's Avatar
Nite Nite is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I'd like to know how does a city with only a metro population of 1 to 2 million people have such a large and dense downtown. I'm sure it has to do with the difference between American and Canadian governments, but it would be interesting to know more about that. Compare other American cities of that same size metro population, and their downtowns are much smaller, and sprawl is much greater.
All Canadian medium and large cities have impressive density when compared to american cities of similar sizes, even smaller cities like Victoria, Halifax and Saskatoon have really impressive cores
checkout this thread to see all of Canada's skylines, http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...22250&page=399

Last edited by Nite; Jul 3, 2018 at 12:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:12 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 4,885
Nice pictures!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:10 AM
bobdreamz's Avatar
bobdreamz bobdreamz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Miami/Orlando, FL.
Posts: 7,060
Nice pics and thread about Calgary but this :


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/eEuGll.jpg

Oh Lordy !



It was a pleasure viewing this thread.
Thanks!
__________________
Miami : 43 Skyscrapers over 500 + ft. | 152 + meters | 16 U/C !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:42 AM
Murphy de la Sucre's Avatar
Murphy de la Sucre Murphy de la Sucre is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Antwerp
Posts: 469
Skyline of Calgary need a supertall, well make them two.
__________________
No future dare pursuing, no past worth recalling, just live the present day, numb and soulless, everyday...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:06 PM
Nightsky's Avatar
Nightsky Nightsky is offline
Illustrator, editor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Malmö
Posts: 3,287
Great architecture, both the old and the skyscrapers. Calgary looks very clean and well organized.
__________________
Website about my travels in USA and Europe:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:25 AM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Skyline of Calgary need a supertall, well make them two.
So far the tallest is 247 meters, how tall would you propose to go?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:22 PM
East72nd East72nd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 57
Very impressive skyline for a city its size. I will say that with the exception of the Bow, the skyline is nondescript. This is true for most Canadian cities. In fact the only Canadian city with a U. S. style skyline (which I prefer) with several unique buildings is Montreal. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:11 AM
geomorph's Avatar
geomorph geomorph is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport Beach
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
Very impressive skyline for a city its size. I will say that with the exception of the Bow, the skyline is nondescript. This is true for most Canadian cities. In fact the only Canadian city with a U. S. style skyline (which I prefer) with several unique buildings is Montreal. Just my opinion.
I am going to post two threads of closer views of highrises in Calgary, hopefully you will find some fairly interesting variety if you check them out, especially the more recent additions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:24 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.