HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 10:29 PM

So, Sean Spicer, speaking about the chemical weapon attack in Syria, managed to tell his nation's press today that Hitler had not used chemical weapons (effort to clarify followed, at the invitation of one of the reporters).

Has ever one so unsuited been given a job so impossible?

And why do so many people in and around politics continue not to get that it seldom ends well when you invoke the name of Adolph Hitler?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 11:00 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

You could probably make a compelling argument for Jared Kushner as well.

Quote:
And why do so many people in and around politics continue not to get that it seldom ends well when you invoke the name of Adolph Hitler?

Similarly (or subsequently), when they double down on wildly unpopular statements in the age of social media.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
So, Sean Spicer, speaking about the chemical weapon attack in Syria, managed to tell his nation's press today that Hitler had not used chemical weapons (effort to clarify followed, at the invitation of one of the reporters).

With all the things going on in the world, that people would try to turn a press secretary trying to shame a world leader for his use of chemical weapons into a politically opportunistic talking point, pretending that this is the most important impactful event to happen in politics in the last 72 hours, speaks volumes about the intellectual honesty of political commentators these days.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
With all the things going on in the world, that people would try to turn a press secretary trying to shame a world leader for his use of chemical weapons into a politically opportunistic talking point, pretending that this is the most important impactful event to happen in politics in the last 72 hours, speaks volumes about the intellectual honesty of political commentators these days.
But that's not what it's about. It's about a string of lies and inaccuracies. This is just the latest example.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
But that's not what it's about. It's about a string of lies and inaccuracies. This is just the latest example.
To his credit, he has said he's sorry. That is somewhat refreshing these days.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 9:46 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
To his credit, he has said he's sorry. That is somewhat refreshing these days.
It's great that he said sorry. He's just damaged his credibility too much at this point, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:01 AM

Good article that touches on some of the themes in this thread:

How Western civilisation could collapse - http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...could-collapse

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:40 PM

So the Trump Administration has reportedly leaked to CNN that the President may consider withdrawing from NAFTA (as a prelude to renegotiating free trade), as opposed to re-opening NAFTA for negotiation.

No tactical positioning there.....

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 7:32 PM

I think one issue that never comes up in the softwood dispute yet needs to be considered is the currency exchange. The issue was dormant for a decade when the Canadian dollar was much higher (at times over par) and there was no price advantage. Right now, with the dollar about 35% weaker, there is a sense that US companies are taking advantage of it to dump Canadian wood on the US.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 7:33 AM

Today a guy came in my office and asked if the guy on the Yellowhead Hwy sign is Donald Trump. Now I can't un-see it. Posting it here so it's now ruined for you too.

facebook Hayley Fulton

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Today a guy came in my office and asked if the guy on the Yellowhead Hwy sign is Donald Trump. Now I can't un-see it. Posting it here so it's now ruined for you too.

facebook Hayley Fulton
That is hilarious!! You need to post it in the Highways in Canada thread!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
I think one issue that never comes up in the softwood dispute yet needs to be considered is the currency exchange. The issue was dormant for a decade when the Canadian dollar was much higher (at times over par) and there was no price advantage. Right now, with the dollar about 35% weaker, there is a sense that US companies are taking advantage of it to dump Canadian wood on the US.
I know for a fact that the exchange rate of our dollar compared to the U.S.'s make a huge difference in forestry and mining. So you are right about that. Labour and production costs are generally lower in Canada with a low Canadian dollar. The resources companies like it because they get paid in U.S. dollars but only have to play employees and bills in Canadian.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:11 PM

I was stuck waiting at a date in JFK last night and had to listen through the Trumpenfuhrer's speech last night. I felt like a Czech in a German train station in 1937. Appalling.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I was stuck waiting at a date in JFK last night and had to listen through the Trumpenfuhrer's speech last night. I felt like a Czech in a German train station in 1937. Appalling.
I wondered if I was the only one. That kind of stuff from Trump the candidate was one thing, but to have a sitting U.S. President lashing out this way makes me very uneasy.

For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Apr 30, 2017 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 5:34 AM

I wonder what the Trump defenders in this thread think about Trump firing the FBI Director who was investigating his administration's ties to Russia. Truly America is getting greater by the minute.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 6:05 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I wonder what the Trump defenders in this thread think about Trump firing the FBI Director who was investigating his administration's ties to Russia. Truly America is getting greater by the minute.
Comey was sleazy af. Still seems like political suicide but the guy was inconsistent at the best of times and also appeared to play politics at times. I would be interested to see the rationale for getting rid of him .

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:05 AM

facebook posts keeps saying nixon did the same thing and we all know how that went...

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:16 PM

Facebook, that bastion of political discourse, where every single thing Trump does is viewed through a lens of either Hitler-like or Nixon-like. Apparently this thread too.

In reality, what Obama did by invoking Executive Privilege over something like Fast and the Furious was much more "Nixonian" than anything Trump has done so far, yet I bet no one here even knows the context of that. Funny how that works.

Reminds me of when Jon Steward very early in Obama's candidacy made a joke about him, and his entire studio audience fell absolutely silent. He had to literally say "It is ok to laugh". That sums up the millennial generation's approach to politics perfectly.

Instead of trying to score cheap political points by calling everything your political enemies do "Nixonian" or "Hitler-like", you can use a few brain cells and actually come to a conversation with intellectual honesty. A foreign concept for many of you.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 1:41 AM

Trump in my opinion is clearly a horrible leader and is very unstable. But those two things won't stop a number of people from supporting him.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Comey was sleazy af. Still seems like political suicide but the guy was inconsistent at the best of times and also appeared to play politics at times. I would be interested to see the rationale for getting rid of him .
Obama probably should have fired Comey but wisely chose not to do so during an election cycle. The timing of Comey's dismissal is suspect but may have had something to do with a new Solicitor General taking office.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada