HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 10:58 PM

Professional sports are corrupt, stacked, borderline fixed, and profit chasing above all else. It is a few steps above "professional wrestling" in manufactured drama.

Ultimately it is entertainment and in particular when you win it's an excuse to party. And at times like these I wish I was in Toronto to join the fun.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I've always found the way the term "downtown" is used to be a bit odd. It means "from outside the three-point line," but you'd think it should actually mean right under the basket, because downtown is generally associated with being at the centre of things. And basketball is traditionally an urban "downtown" game dominated by urban "downtown" folks, by contrast with more pastoral sports on grass playing fields.

I don't get it. Three-pointers should be from the outskirts of town, "from the moon," or "from outside the galaxy." The metaphor should be associated with being far away, not the opposite. This is a total mystery to me.
Totally agree! A 3 point shot should be "from the exurbs" and downtown would be right around the hoop.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get all that, but my question still remains the same.

The absolute best World Series scenario for MLB is Yankees-Dodgers. Does that mean there are blatant calls that are made by refs in order to make it happen in years where it's a possibility?
It certainly wouldn't surprise me. Certain high-profile players and certain storied jerseys/uniforms command a certain reverence and gravitas that can even subconsciously sway judgement.

Also they're called umpires in baseball, not referees.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 10:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
It certainly wouldn't surprise me. Certain high-profile players and certain storied jerseys/uniforms command a certain reverence and gravitas that can even subconsciously sway judgement.

Also they're called umpires in baseball, not referees.
Oh yeah, of course. I knew that! Shows how little I've been paying attention to baseball.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:05 PM
I am the law!

Cubs in the World Series would be the best scenario for MLB.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's hoping for a game five victory tonight in Cleveland.

They have to win one on the road to take the series; it might as well be tonight.

Just think if the Raptors win. Then they could clinch the series at home in game six. ACC would be insane!!!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:14 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's hoping for a game five victory tonight in Cleveland.

They have to win one on the road to take the series; it might as well be tonight.

Just think if the Raptors win. Then they could clinch the series at home in game six. ACC would be insane!!!
Boy that would be something!

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:17 PM
gettin' rich!

Golden State is in trouble.......

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Halifax Hurricanes topple London Lightning to win first-ever NBL Canada title

The 'Canes edged the London Lightning 125-117 in Game 7 of the best-of-seven championship series Monday night at the Scotiabank Centre.

By: Kristen Lipscombe Metro Published on Mon Jun 13 2016

Read more here:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...form=hootsuite

https://twitter.com/NEWS957/status/7...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Quote:
The @hfxhurricanes are @NBLCanada Champs. Final 125-117 over London in game 7. @CTVAtlantic https://t.co/3Hp6Xir68w

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:06 AM
Registered Drug User

Four games in and the Raps are looking pretty damn good. I know it's early, but this is the most confident and business-like I've ever seen them open a season. The eager enthusiasm and awkwardness of previous seasons (all twenty of them, arguably) are gone. This team is playing like a top-ranked contender that expects to win every time they go out on the floor.

As a fan, that's refreshing. My thoughts on the roster:

1. DeMar DeRozan is an elite player, and his jumper is one of the softest and most consistent I've ever seen. Clearly he's feeling confident after a good season last year and a gold medal during the summer. He's in the peak of his career this year, though it remains to be seen whether he can sustain it for the rest of the season (and for a few more years, besides).

2. Kyle Lowry is also at the top of his game. He still has more off-games than a player of his calibre should, though. Hopefully this year his stamina won't run out in the post-season.

3. Jonas Valanciunas just keeps getting better. Now he's got more post moves and a midrange jumper. He's got to be in any conversation about the top five big men in the league.

4. Pascal Siakam is an intriguing rookie who's performing admirably in the starting five. Not quite as muscular a defender as you might wish, and he's clearly still in the learning phase, but obviously Coach Casey knows what he's doing putting him on the floor to begin the games. At least until Jared Sullinger is back from his injury, anyway.

5. DeMarre Carroll is showing us what he was traded for and what the injury last year robbed the team of: elite defending and hitting key 3-pointers. He's one of those high quality X-factors that the great teams have. It's nice to have him.

6. Terrence Ross is going to win 6th Man of the Year if he gets 10 to 15 points a game. Is this the year he truly plays up to his potential instead of being maddeningly inconsistent?

7. Cory Joseph. The hometown kid is good. He'll never be a starter, but that's fine.

8. Patrick Patterson would be a lot better if he had any moves around the hoop. As it is he has to make sure he hits the 3-pointers that he's called on to make. He's a liability when he isn't shooting well.

9. Jakob Poeltl is going to be a solid centre once he irons the kinks out and gets used to the pros.

10. Norman Powell seems like the kind of guard who can do everything. I imagine he'll eventually be a solid rotation player for another team once he gets traded and gets more minutes on the floor. I think he's good and young enough to be tantalizing trade bait.

11. Don't know anything about Jared Sullinger.

12. Lucas Nogueira: Meh.

13. Bruno Caboclo: Meh.

14. Fred VanVleet: Never heard of him.

15. Delon Wright: Shame about the injury. Though he seems like a Europe-bound type of player anyway.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:30 AM
Registered Drug User

I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that the Raps peaked over the conference finals last year through to the early part of the season this year. There's this loss of momentum happening right now, this sense of a lack of potential, that they're maxed out talent-wise, that feels like more than just a slump.

Though hopefully it's just a slump.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:32 AM
gettin' rich!

They will be fine, all those people that say Patrick Patterson sucks or should be traded , probably now realize that would be a bad idea.

The Raptors are not the same team without him.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:57 PM

Not ready to write them off just yet, although their shot percentages and Valenciunas lack of effort sometimes make me pull out my hair. I'll be interested to see what Sullinger brings when he finally plays. Still, the problem is up front as it's been for so long.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 11:06 PM

Since the Raptors have made the playoffs again it's time to bump this up. Even though the Leafs are back fighting for their playoff spot I'm still finding more people in Toronto interested in the Raptors. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time Ive seen a leaf hat or jersey worn in town as a fashion item I only ever see them game day.

We're only 3 points back from top spot right now. Cleavland while still amazing doesn't look as scary as they did last year.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:28 PM
The New Republic

The Raptors and Jays are likely the 2 most popular sports teams in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:31 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Raptors are in the playoffs? It would be exaggerated to say there was a buzz about them where I live last year but at least I knew it was happening based on "BTW" coverage in my sportscasts. I only noticed they were in there this morning when the score showed up on the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

You can really tell that all three teams in the Ontario-Quebec corridor are in the NHL playoffs this year.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 5:46 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
The Raptors are in the playoffs? It would be exaggerated to say there was a buzz about them where I live last year but at least I knew it was happening based on "BTW" coverage in my sportscasts. I only noticed they were in there this morning when the score showed up on the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

You can really tell that all three teams in the Ontario-Quebec corridor are in the NHL playoffs this year.
I didn't know they were in the playoffs till you just mentioned it right now

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Your proclivity for finding a way to include the words quebec, québécois, francophone or anglophone in every post you write is nothing short of pathological

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:39 PM
The New Republic

Raptors looked terrible in game 1.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I didn't know they were in the playoffs till you just mentioned it right now
Only in Canada. Pity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada