HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperSun View Post
Its really messed up if the City will come in and rip up this brand new sidewalk for any reason, and like others have said this will 100% be a patch of asphalt forever.
I have that on the ramp of the driveway on the boulevard side of the sidewalk.

A couple neighbors had power issues and Alectra traced it to power lines in front of my house under the ramp being partially damaged. They dug it up, fixed the problem and patched it with asphalt.

That was over 5 years ago. I've had to look at this black sunken square ever since. Numerous calls to the city lead nowhere.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 4:20 PM
Ham-burgher

I now live not far from Dunsmure and King. There were a few properties on Dunsmure just east of Gage that had asphalt "sidewalk" sections that have recently been replaced by actual concrete! No idea how long they had the temporary pavement treatment though.

Same thing happens with the cuts across main streets. The "patch" seems to become the permanent fix, and thousands of automotive suspensions pay the price for that.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 6:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

We had asphalt sidewalks in my neighbourhood for over three years when Bell Canada installed the high-speed lines. Now they are pouring cement for our sidewalks as I type this.

I live in the West Mountain area (near Farm Boys), and with the new sidewalks, I've noticed they are using the same urban braille for the curbs. That's new; I'm guessing the City is expanding the braille sidewalks outside lower Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperSun View Post
Its really messed up if the City will come in and rip up this brand new sidewalk for any reason, and like others have said this will 100% be a patch of asphalt forever.
The city doesnt rip up the sidewalks, utility companies like Bell, Alectra, Union gas do.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 4:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
The city doesnt rip up the sidewalks, utility companies like Bell, Alectra, Union gas do.
The city does for water and sewer repairs. Alectra is municipally-owned, across a number of cities from Niagara to Barrie, but for water I think they only handle the billing and the city takes care of the pipes. However, the city does seem to replace the temporary asphalt with concrete later on... while other utilities do not.

Bell has gotten better, apparently, at least where it's possible and maybe it depends on the type of job. E.g., they were running fiber-optic cables through my parents' neighbourhood a year or two ago, and were able to thread them under driveways and such... that house has a wide concrete slab driveway (which made it ball-hockey central when I was a kid!) but no cuts were required.

But seeing fresh sidewalks in new subdivisions get ripped up for utility work has always made me scratch my head. I chalk it up to poor planning and coordination.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:29 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The city does for water and sewer repairs. Alectra is municipally-owned, across a number of cities from Niagara to Barrie, but for water I think they only handle the billing and the city takes care of the pipes. However, the city does seem to replace the temporary asphalt with concrete later on... while other utilities do not.

Bell has gotten better, apparently, at least where it's possible and maybe it depends on the type of job. E.g., they were running fiber-optic cables through my parents' neighbourhood a year or two ago, and were able to thread them under driveways and such... that house has a wide concrete slab driveway (which made it ball-hockey central when I was a kid!) but no cuts were required.

But seeing fresh sidewalks in new subdivisions get ripped up for utility work has always made me scratch my head. I chalk it up to poor planning and coordination.
I work for cogeco - and I will say this - it is one thing to thread fiber under a concrete driveway and it is quite another to deal with utility repairs and relocations of sensitive utility equipment - fiber is relatively cheap in comparison thus it's really comparing apples and oranges. Utilities generally have to be modified in place.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 12:44 PM

This is a decent little building. It has both some modern and some mid-century modern design flair to it. A great infill project, the type I wish we saw more of here in Ottawa, vs the soul-less boxes that have been going up.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 4:00 PM

Don't you worry Davis137, we've gone tons of those going up, just see any threads with word "Vranich" in it. He's like our Voldemort, "He Who Must Not Be Named."

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Don't you worry Davis137, we've gone tons of those going up, just see any threads with word "Vranich" in it. He's like our Voldemort, "He Who Must Not Be Named."
I thought that was stinton..

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 7:28 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I thought that was stinton..
Stinson is the Waldo of our development scene. And he's a puzzle.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 10:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Stinson is the Waldo of our development scene. And he's a puzzle.

I thought he was more like carmen sandiago - you think you got your hands on him and yet somehow he disappears again..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton