HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:55 PM

Jackson Square (the dingy low ceiling mall) has always been pretty busy. City Centre (the big open mall with skylights) was usually almost completely empty before city hall moved there, and it remains quiet even with city hall in there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Jackson Square (the dingy low ceiling mall)
LOL, it did kind of remind me of Toronto's PATH. Not that PATH is dingy, but because PATH being underground lacks natural light and so did Jackson Square.

Not surprised City Hall hasn't reinvigorated the other less busy place. Tough to set up a business when you know a major foot traffic tenant is only there temporarily.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:25 PM

City Centre really needs to be demolished. Then again so does Jackson Square, but at least it has some redeeming qualities.

I'd actually like to see CC do well because it has so much natural light.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hammer'd

The City needs to stop considering Garwood-Jones. I am glad they're including Ellis-Don on this one. They've done some awesome stuff in Toronto (in my opinion, I'm sure this could be debated though).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 10:07 PM

Hamilton should demolish Jackson square, and force the tenants into City Centre. I like the mall, it has alot of potential, just needs to remove itslf ot he dollar stores, thrift/liquidation stores, and ethnic food courts with some big name tenants that are North American.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 11:24 PM

That Hangers store is now open (C-list clothing store) and something new is going in near the entrance to CC.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 11:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
The City needs to stop considering Garwood-Jones. I am glad they're including Ellis-Don on this one. They've done some awesome stuff in Toronto (in my opinion, I'm sure this could be debated though).
Garwood-Jones is an architect and Ellis Don are general contractors, so they're not really interchangeable.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hammer'd

I know. I meant to mention Ellis-Don as "by the way".
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:01 AM

Jackson Square is alot better than City Centre because of the mixed use nature. If it weren't for all the buildings on it it'd prolly be nowhere near as busy.

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:13 AM
It's Hammer Time

If I had to choose between Jackson Square and City Centre, I would pick City Centre. JS is too dark and sorta gets you depressed. No one really uses the rooftop so they should install skylights through JS and then it'll greatly improve the environment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I know. I meant to mention Ellis-Don as "by the way".
I can get a little pedantic at times. Just ignore me.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 4:00 PM

Has the City made their decision yet? I know they were talking with GJH about money and scope! What else is there to talk about??

They spent 1.3 million on DD drawings? They said that it was about 1/3rd of the contract price. The construction drawings should have been more than 50% complete for that???

Any new news would be appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 4:13 PM
Closed account

yea, they picked Garwood-Jones.

I like JS better than CC. pop some skylight into JS and it would be great.
I love the sections in the Standard Life building and the area just south of the foodcourt with the walkways up on the second level.
CC was built as a mall. now it just sucks. it needs to be reconfigured to face James North and add residential/office space inside.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:07 PM

i love the idea of opening CC to James..

the inside of CC is fine.. but outside infuriates me. the colour, the style, the fake flags (on the tower).. It's one of my least favourite buildings in hamilton

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 12:50 AM

How do you know they picked Garwood-Jones? Is there a link to that news? Just because they were talking doesn't mean they signed a contract.

I am skeptical the city wanted to spend the money! They said they already spent $1.3M on DD drawings, which would be useless to GJH.

Can anyone confirm with some link??

Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:05 AM
It's Hammer Time

They haven't selected Garwood-Jones and EllisDon yet, they have about three months to negotiate a deal.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 1:07 AM
It's Hammer Time

I'm quoting the latest news article for City Hall renvation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Top architect back on City Hall project
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 9, 2008)

A new deal to renovate City Hall is in the works and one of Hamilton's top architects is back on the project.

The city is in negotiations with a team of companies to complete the $47-million construction project.

Councillor Lloyd Ferguson said the team includes several well-known firms such as Ellis-Don, Black and McDonald and architect Trevor Garwood-Jones.

"We've got the dream team," said Ferguson.

A previous attempt to negotiate a deal with Garwood-Jones fell apart because of the costs.

The city hopes to work out a deal with the team over the next four months.

If a deal can be finalized, the city and the team will agree to split the cost of any overruns or share the benefits of any savings.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:25 AM
Closed account

sorry, my mistake.

Hmag has a great proposal for a new public square in front of city hall in the new issue.
the whole issue is great actually, check it out.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 6:32 PM

I doubt if GJH will agree to split the overruns?? Who would agree to that? They want to take out $1.3 million out of the original fees for the architect, but suggest they split the overruns or cost savings? Doesn't sound like there is much cost savings left after cutting the fees by 30%.

It should be interesting to see the details of the contract, if they sign one, which I doubt. It seems the only way is to go is design build and get an architect to rubber stamp the NORR drawings.

Cheers

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:32 AM

How much is the city paying for the city centre lease?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton