HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 10:34 PM

You know, this looks great. That would actually make a pretty good permanent home for the market.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
That's right, one of the first things to consider when moving City Hall to a shopping mall is whether or not the neighbouring mall has a rink.
As I recall they wanted to include a public skating rink in front of city hall, no?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
As I recall they wanted to include a public skating rink in front of city hall, no?
Adam, having a public skating rink outside of our current city hall is vastly different from having a city hall in an old shopping mall which is connected to another mall that happens to have a rink inside on the second floor.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Adam, having a public skating rink outside of our current city hall is vastly different from having a city hall in an old shopping mall which is connected to another mall that happens to have a rink inside on the second floor.
You're right! Now what?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 12:16 AM

City Hall front court yard

As mentioned before. For 4 yrs I walked right across the front of City Hall on my way to and from work. At times from 0600 to 2300 hrs.
I never saw any activity out there, well maybe the occasional rally for an hour or two. Especially during the day I never saw city employees sitting at picnic tables or near the fountain. I saw more bums sleeping on the benches on the NW corner.
The whole concept is no one ventures out of city hall.
With this Farmers market and it looks good. You will draw more downtown workers into the market.
This is a great addition for the people who live downtown and have no grocery store.
Maybe the opportunist will fill that void, and open something adjacent to the market as well as Denningers.
So a skating rink outside City Hall may not have any draw with no parking especially during the day if city hall was open. Nothing nearby or washrooms.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hopefully once the current home of the Farmers' Market is renovated that this temporary location could be used as an Asian Market or something similar, the city is paying I believe $1 million through rents to pay for the renovation for the temporary location.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 11:45 AM

I remember the skating rink in Jackson Square! I skated on it many Saturdays as a kid back in the early/mid 80's.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 1:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

When you start to think about the location of the relocated Farmers' Market it would actually be a good permanent location. In front of AGH, future McMaster/School Board, likely to have LRT next to it, next to MacNab transit station, a few restaurants and a visible location, whereas with York the market is at the back of JS and tucked away.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 2:56 AM

I think the ceilings are too low and there are too many walls in Jackson Square for the market. It needs to be in a more open environment.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 3:37 AM
It's Hammer Time

Demo will start after Christmas and renovations until move in day, Feb 1. The entire expense to the city is $1.25 million for the relocation.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:04 PM
Hammer'd

Sounds good to me. I'm glad this project is finally getting off the ground. JS is really transforming before our eyes these days. The new food court seating area is also done now too, and I think they made room for an additional 3 or 4 food vendors there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 12:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Market revamp sends stalls to mall

December 08, 2008
Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/478618

Clay Eborall is ready for a change.

After 20 years of running the Bentford Orchards stall at the Hamilton Farmers' Market, Eborall is prepared to shift to a new temporary location in Jackson Square.

The multimillion-dollar renovation that will be done while businesses are relocated will be key to helping the market survive, he said.

"I think the market does need updating," said Eborall, who is also president of the market's stallholders association.

Eborall's optimism comes on the heels of city staff deciding where the market should be located during the renovations.

If council approves the move, the nearly 200 vendors will move to a currently closed-off spot in Jackson Square near the food court.

The 18-month lease will start March 1.

The location is not far from the current market, but not all vendors are happy.

There's worry about whether customers will follow stalls to their new locations and concern about where shops will be placed when they move back into the revamped market in 2010.

"Everybody think(s) it's too long to be out from here because we're going to lose our customers," said Flora Munoz, owner of Florsam International Fresh Produce.

Others, like Jorge Rodriguez, feel there hasn't been enough communication between the city and the stall owners.

"Nobody knows anything about anything in here," said the owner of Ercilia's Fine Foods.

In a report to city councillors, staff said they chose Jackson Square for a variety of reasons, including the fact it's close to the current market. The space was also large enough to accommodate the market and had multiple access points to keep the pedestrian flow from the market to the mall.

The rate for renting the space, $16.75 per square foot, is also below the current $20 to $40 per square foot to lease space in the mall.

"In order to stay competitive the infrastructure of the current market facility is in need of critical upgrades and renovation," the report said.

Renovations are slated to cost the city $7.7 million. Another $1.25 million is needed to relocate the stalls, bringing the total cost of the project to around $8.95 million.

The city is potentially $400,000 short. Although many vendors say they'd prefer not to move at all, some are resigned to the fact.

"We have to renovate it sometime," said Maria Materno, of Genuine's Bread House Bakery.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:31 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
When you start to think about the location of the relocated Farmers' Market it would actually be a good permanent location. In front of AGH, future McMaster/School Board, likely to have LRT next to it, next to MacNab transit station, a few restaurants and a visible location, whereas with York the market is at the back of JS and tucked away.
Bruce Kuwabara proposed this very idea a few years ago.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:45 PM

To the people who derisively talk about moving city hall, and the market, skating rink, etc into "old malls":

Open your minds. Moving civic services and civic places into these buildings transforms them from useless dilapidated ex-retail warehouses into thriving public spaces. In other words they are no longer malls.

The jackson square block used to be the public space in Hamilton. We can all agree that it does not work as a mall. It will probably never work as a mall. So why don't we take it over as public space again?

It will be interesting to see what the market looks like in its temporary home.

But it will also be interesting to see the renderings for the market renovation which I don't think have been released yet.

Regarding walls and ceiling heights, anyone who has been to the market in Halifax knows that the market can still be really interesting and vibrant even in the tightest of spaces!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
Bruce Kuwabara proposed this very idea a few years ago.
It would be a dream to have Bruce transform Jackson Square.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:46 AM

Saturday morning

Well, I loved to go to the market early Sat morning. but it is so easy to stay at home and have another coffee.
So this week had to go to get a few things.
I really enjoyed my trip. It was so personable and a great chance to meet smiling happy people with pride in their stalls.
Laughing and joking and even a detailed recipe and cheese lesson at Sam's. I will make an effort every Sat I am available to hit the market early. And one hour free parking to boot.
I wish it was two.
You tend to forget what service and happy staff are like by going to a no frills. Sure I paid a bit more but the quality was superb. Mmmmmm 7 yr old cheddar and so many samples to expand or explain the points.
This is something to see and experience. I saw so many locals with their shopping carts.walking So there is a need there.
Thank you Farmer's market for a experience that brightened my day and started me off in a positive direction. Even pickeded up a $1 Spec and a coffee and read it when I got home.
Hope to get back soon.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 5:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mark this on your calendar......

January 10, 2009, 10:00 am (Saturday) - Opening Remarks & Presentation
Hamilton Public Library Auditorium

The City of Hamilton is planning to renovate both the Farmers’ Market and the Hamilton Public Library.

This public meeting will provide an opportunity for the public to review the final designs for the renovations. Architect David Premi will present a video simulation and artist renderings to illustrate the changes that will be made to the two downtown landmarks.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Designs Of New Farmer's Market To Be Unveiled
Ken Mann
1/8/2009

The public is about to get its first look at plans for a renovated Hamilton Central Library and Farmer's Market.

The designs of architect David Premi will be on display on Saturday morning in the library's auditorium.

The renovations will cost about 10.5 million dollars, and will include upgrades to the electrical, plumbing and heating systems at the market.

Library upgrades include a new reading atrium, a giant aquarium in the children's area and improvements in accessibility.

Farmer's market vendors will be moved to a nearby temporary location, a closed off section of Jackson Square, while the work is carried out.

It will begin this spring and is expected to take about 18 months to complete.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

I heard maybe they'll be LED lights for the Public Library, which would be nice since it's a perfect building to have LED since it's stacked backed on each level.

That's one thing the city lacks, LED lights for buildings, the Right House would be killer, hopefully Lister Block, Connaught, and hopefully City Hall as well.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:14 AM

The press release makes no mention of bringing the farmers market out to York Blvd, or building a ground level platform or any of the suggestions I heard at last years public info session. I hope that doesn't mean they've been cut ($10 million isn't much). I won't be able to go, will someone report back here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton