HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 12:47 PM

Just imagine what even a modest new videoboard alone would do for this place. The current one is so shabby and out-of-date and small and has such poor resolution --- I doubt that there is one in the OHL or anywhere in junior hockey that is as bad as this one. The new board in Brantford is 1000x better and probably cost less than a million bucks. And hopefully the new Hamilton one will be much better than that one.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 4:25 AM

It is my understanding that the deal comes with a few development parcels. Do we expect to see a new hotel as part of the complex?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Just imagine what even a modest new videoboard alone would do for this place. The current one is so shabby and out-of-date and small and has such poor resolution --- I doubt that there is one in the OHL or anywhere in junior hockey that is as bad as this one. The new board in Brantford is 1000x better and probably cost less than a million bucks. And hopefully the new Hamilton one will be much better than that one.
Based on the render, it’ll be a very basic scoreboard, on par for the venue being a concert focused venue. Nonetheless, a nice upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
It is my understanding that the deal comes with a few development parcels. Do we expect to see a new hotel as part of the complex?
They seem to have named the district (The Commons) so it seems they have plans to do some work on those other properties. I'm really curious about the details and what else might come to fruition. It's a bit odd though because I think they're just leasing those other properties as well, so I'm not sure what the financials would look like on Redevelopment of parcels they don't own.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 9:52 PM

"Construction manager named for massive revamp of Hamilton’s First Ontario Centre"
from Daily Commercial News

EllisDon has been selected as the construction manager for the $280 million renovation at FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, Ont., project developer Oak View Group (OVG) reported to the Daily Commercial News.

This comes after the City of Hamilton signed a deal with OVG and the Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) to respectively undergo the FirstOntario Centre facelift and revitalization of the downtown core.

OVG is leading the project to transform the facility, formerly known as Copps Coliseum, into an 18,000-seat capacity venue.

HUPEG, a regional consortium is working in collaboration with leading industry consultants and development partners including LIUNA, First Ontario Credit Union and Meridian Credit Union to revitalize downtown Hamilton’s arts and entertainment district.

The colossal overhaul first came to light in 2021 when HUPEG signed master agreements with the City of Hamilton to renovate the centre, the FirstOntario Concert Hall and the Hamilton Convention Centre with an initial $50 million private investment.

“It was the most modest renovation you could imagine and did not include the big picture,” said OVG president Tom Pistore.

The developer stepped in with plans to build a concourse, three new clubs, with state-of-the-art technology and other additional features to bring to light what Pistore calls, “The Oak View Group ‘Grand Vision.’”

He reports other details will include taking into consideration the artists who will perform there and what they need for a spectacular experience – including premium acoustics and other features.

Pistore said these additions, as well as inflation, “cost creep,” and pure economics account for the project’s six-fold cost increase.

“Hamilton is already an important entertainment destination in Canada, and the city deserves a state-of-the-art venue that will attract the world’s best events to the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area,” said Tim Leiweke, OVG chairman and CEO.

OVG will partner with Live Nation for venue bookings.

“We are thrilled to contribute to the transformation of FirstOntario Centre into a premier entertainment hub,” said Randy Reymer, EllisDon’s vice-president and area manager for southwestern Ontario. “This endeavour represents not just a renovation, but a commitment to elevating the city’s cultural and economic landscape. At EllisDon, we embrace the challenge of crafting a state-of-the-art venue that blends innovation and accessibility. Our team is excited to play a role in bringing this vision to life, adding to the vibrancy of Hamilton’s downtown core. More than just construction, this project is an investment in the city’s dynamic future, and we are honoured to be a part of it.”

The York Boulevard facility, that first opened in 1985 will, post-renovation will feature a re-imagined facade, premium seating, improved sightlines, upgraded concourses, optimized clubs and suites and artist lounges.

In a statement, the OVG group said the venue will join a rapidly growing southwestern Canadian marketplace with the ability to accommodate larger shows alongside Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena. Work is scheduled to begin in spring 2024, and the building is expected to open in the fall of 2025.

Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects is designing the project. It’s part of a larger downtown revitalization project known as “The Commons,” which includes the newly re-imagined arena, a renovated convention centre, significant investments in the Art Gallery of Hamilton and concert hall facilities, as well as new residential, office and retail development.

“It’s a big project and construction of this nature can sometimes create some headaches as it’s happening, but the work (will) transform our downtown core and have an amazing impact on our city. This is going to be a world class venue and will put us on the map as a centre of live music and events,” said City of Hamilton Mayor Andrea Horwath.

The FirstOntario Concert Hall and the Hamilton Convention Centre are expected to remain open and continue to host events during the planned facelifts.

Renovations were intended to begin in September but were pushed back to allow Grey Cup events to be held at the venue this weekend.

“Born and raised in Hamilton, I have many treasured memories in this city’s arena, concert hall and convention centre,” said PJ Mercanti, HUPEG president and CEO. “I’m honoured to lead our Precinct Group and work alongside OVG Canada and the City of Hamilton.”

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 10:03 PM

Time to get this one moving already, but at least some reputable companies involved (OVG and EllisDon). No thanks to HUPEG and their inept leadership/vision.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
No thanks to HUPEG and their inept leadership/vision.
I'm not excusing them, but there could be any number of reasons why this is taking so long (e.g., hashing out the details of the deal with OVG, all parties being ready to move on it, etc.)

Darko would have moved very fast. But I fear the result would have been typically Vranich, and we'd all lament.

Plus who knows what entertainment partner would have been brought to the table. I'm not sure if that was ever revealed (?)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:37 AM

I wish I knew more details about this renovation...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:26 AM

Are they even doing anything to the place yet? An OHL season has come and almost gone, I'm sure the city would have appreciated the revenue from the team that seems to have been kicked out a year earlier than needed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Are they even doing anything to the place yet? An OHL season has come and almost gone, I'm sure the city would have appreciated the revenue from the team that seems to have been kicked out a year earlier than needed.
Didn’t they just have a major press conference on renovations starting as early as April/2024?
https://canada.constructconnect.com/...oject-launches

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroadsleadtoham View Post
Didn’t they just have a major press conference on renovations starting as early as April/2024?
"Hamilton’s on-again, off-again FirstOntario Centre renovation project is slated to start within three months, with shovels hitting the ground in April or May."

We get out pitchforks out June 1st if there is nothing happening

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:39 PM

There's been a ton of people at FOC the last couple of days. Not sure if they're just prepping for a concert on the weekend. There's no events past end of April though which seems to me that there might be a late April early May start. I'll report as I see things as I pass by almost daily.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:58 PM
Hammer'd

Maybe they're trying to co-ordinate the First Ontario renovation with LRT completion
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allroadsleadtoham View Post
I have no idea, I'm in Woodstock so I rely on this site for news lol. Figured nothing posted since last fall meant nothing going on. I keep hearing Brantford wants a new arena for the Bulldogs, I wonder which gets done first lol.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I have no idea, I'm in Woodstock so I rely on this site for news lol. Figured nothing posted since last fall meant nothing going on. I keep hearing Brantford wants a new arena for the Bulldogs, I wonder which gets done first lol.
If Andlauer rekindles his Lime Ridge Mall arena proposal for a site in Brantford, bet on him.

The ever-impending FirstOntario renos have been a big FOC-you to the Bulldogs, and the Around the Bay road race began and ended at Tim Horton's Field because of them. I wonder where the Rock will play next year (presuming the arena project is under way)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
If Andlauer rekindles his Lime Ridge Mall arena proposal for a site in Brantford, bet on him.

The ever-impending FirstOntario renos have been a big FOC-you to the Bulldogs, and the Around the Bay road race began and ended at Tim Horton's Field because of them. I wonder where the Rock will play next year (presuming the arena project is under way)
The Rock will play in Mississauga next season.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Some of us have been using UrbanToronto more than posting here, so there's been a few updates there: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...b.32788/page-6

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:02 AM

I have also started to use UT because it is so easy to post images and links unlike this site. But what I wanted to say is that Brantford Council last week put out a RFP for a downtown arena/entertainment/community complex.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
The Rock will play in Mississauga next season.
Thanks! I wasn't aware it had been decided.

In other news... and as if we're all shocked... the Bulldogs may never return. The story also noted the idea about development near Aldershot GO that would include an arena (an idea that's come up before)

Bulldogs owner doesn’t expect team to return to Hamilton
Andlauer commits to staying in Brantford if city builds new arena.

Scott Radley
The Hamilton Spectator
Thursday, April 4, 2024

If you’ve been clinging to the hope that the Bulldogs’ stay in Brantford was going to be temporary and the hockey club would be returning when FirstOntario Centre renovations are done, it’s time to adjust your expectations.

So says the team’s owner.

“I don’t expect the Brantford Bulldogs to be back in Hamilton,” Michael Andlauer says.

It’s the most direct he’s ever been on the future of the franchise here. And a significant shift in tone from October when he simply said he didn’t know what would happen down the road.

Why the change?

“As I see it, the landscape is changing rapidly,” he says.

First, the hockey business in Brantford is better than he expected. He wasn’t initially sure a 3,000-seat venue could support a team long term.

Yet the franchise is not only sustainable and breaking even — that happened only a couple of times in two decades here and those were years the team went all the way to the final — but there’s a waiting list for season tickets.

Add to that the fact that he says the players are happy, he has a great relationship with the mayor and council, and that city’s arena upgrade went even better than he expected, and the whole package has been a home run.

“It’s been a flawless season,” he says of the first year in the Telephone City. “The fans have been incredible.”

As a result, when Mayor Kevin Davis asked whether he’d consider making the arrangement permanent if the city built a new arena — a feasibility study is already underway with an answer expected as early as this year — Andlauer agreed.

“I can unequivocally state that if council commits to building this facility, I will commit the Brantford Bulldogs to playing here in Brantford for the long term,” he said in a news release the other day.

Two weeks ago, Burlington council agreed to support the concept of a rather massive public-private partnership with Alinea Group Holdings for a development beside the Aldershot GO station that would include housing, a satellite university campus, a hotel and a 5,000-seat arena that could be expanded to 7,000.

It would be years before it was all ready but Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward says this is way past the point of merely dipping a toe into the water. Both the city and the landowner are committed to seeing it happen.

An arena like that would be just about perfect for an OHL team.

“Now all of a sudden,” Andlauer says, “there’s another factor.”

What makes this option particularly intriguing is that Alinea president and CEO, Paul Paletta, is part of Andlauer’s ownership group with the Ottawa Senators.

Then there’s one other issue to consider.

Brantford has spent the year wooing Andlauer and trying to convince him to put down roots there.

“In the meantime, I haven’t heard boo from Hamilton,” he says.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Lol another failure on hamiltons part..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton