HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 6:06 PM

They are still advertising the lofts in Urbanicity but a web search only turns up old Spec and Hamilton EcDev articles.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 2:55 AM

Here's the ad from this month's issue of urbanicity...

Source: urbanicity

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 3:28 AM

Please let this happen. I'm moving onto James Street in August and will be walking to McNab terminal and back every day. It'd be soo cool to watch this go up.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:36 AM

This has been many years in the making > fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:48 PM

They should at least put something up at acclamationresidences.ca so people who search know it's current. Otherwise it's a nice ad.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:09 PM
Urban Fanactic

Perfect density for this area.
James North will be the place to be downtown once all these buildings get built.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 8:24 PM

New registration site: residencesatacclamation.ca

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:59 AM
Ham-burgher

^ They couldn't have at least used the photo and blurb from the Urbanicity ad, instead of a mostly blank text-only page?

Or have things changed since early July.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 3:29 AM

Signs are up at the building site. They also have a sales/info booth at the Supercrawl which is interesting.

Starting at the mid 200s though is a bit rich for me considering you can buy a huge house for that 5-10 min walk away in Beasley/Landsdale.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Signs are up at the building site. They also have a sales/info booth at the Supercrawl which is interesting.

Starting at the mid 200s though is a bit rich for me considering you can buy a huge house for that 5-10 min walk away in Beasley/Landsdale.

Hamilton's condo market is now sustainable because you can't get a good house in this town for less than $400K--try: you'll meet multiple offers now and will likely lose. Beasley? $200K teardown maybe. But even if your pricing is right, there are plenty of people who don't want the hassle of improvements and maintenance. And maybe they don't like the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 12:57 AM

^I was going to make a similar comment. It seems the Hamilton condo market has finally turned a corner.

It'll be interesting to see how this and the potential Tiv development might alter James North.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:14 AM

When I was looking for houses in this neighbourhood I noticed there was a huge price difference between one side of James Street and the other. Even if the houses are not even a block apart, there's a big difference. It must be a perception thing. Whether that's stupid or not, this condo is at least on the right side of the street.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:59 AM

Lots of nice images of potential buildings from the north end to the Connelly project, but only one complex is swinging hammers, at 150 Main. Love to be proven wrong and see 7 or 8 cranes in the downtown starting in early 2015.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRSTREETGANG View Post
Hamilton's condo market is now sustainable because you can't get a good house in this town for less than $400K--try: you'll meet multiple offers now and will likely lose. Beasley? $200K teardown maybe. But even if your pricing is right, there are plenty of people who don't want the hassle of improvements and maintenance. And maybe they don't like the neighbourhood.
Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. There's plenty of decent homes in that range...$250k will get you a gorgeous, fully done home between Ferguson and Ottawa if you want to stay in a relatively close proximity to downtown.

But yeah, I can see the appeal if you want no/low maintenance and true "urban living". I'll take a slightly longer walk/bike ride and a yard personally.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:08 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Lots of nice images of potential buildings from the north end to the Connelly project, but only one complex is swinging hammers, at 150 Main. Love to be proven wrong and see 7 or 8 cranes in the downtown starting in early 2015.
Toronto's boom took a while to start up didn't it? Acquiring funds and permission and fine tuning designs takes a while.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Toronto's boom took a while to start up didn't it? Acquiring funds and permission and fine tuning designs takes a while.
Yes it did take time, but Toronto's problem right now? A lack of available cranes and construction workers! Not kidding. Toronto's chief planner mentioned this recently, when talking about all the new projects that have been approved.

I'm surprised at the slow pace of "swinging hammers" here.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Theres the Residences of the Royal Connaught and OneFourtyNine Luxury Residences under construction. Also City Square Parkside Condominiums, but that's a couple blocks south of your north end to Connolly range so I don't know if you were including that.

There's also the buildings that have already been completed since the boom started (Witton Lofts, Urban West, 95 King East, etc.).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 3:27 PM

True you can still get houses in the 200s in central Hamilton, but they will need tens of thousands in upgrades and renos for middle class tastes. That's a lot of money and headaches for most people. However, I certainly hope there are people out there willing to give those old homes the TLC they deserve.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Theres the Residences of the Royal Connaught and OneFourtyNine Luxury Residences under construction. Also City Square Parkside Condominiums, but that's a couple blocks south of your north end to Connolly range so I don't know if you were including that.

There's also the buildings that have already been completed since the boom started (Witton Lofts, Urban West, 95 King East, etc.).
Just call me Impatient! And kudos that have made the investments in bricks and mortar including Witton (awesome), and Stinson School (I know it's Harry). I am sure that RC will go, but there are also drawings / concepts for James N at Liuna Station, east side of James Street N church, Acclamation, Tivoli, Liuna's Lister Block 2nd Phase, Blanchard's Gore park and South of 25 Main west mystery projects, Connelly, and the three building site at the base of the escarpment. Oh and the Hamilton Grand! Now that would be a building fest if all of those joined the bricks and mortar party.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. There's plenty of decent homes in that range...$250k will get you a gorgeous, fully done home between Ferguson and Ottawa if you want to stay in a relatively close proximity to downtown.

But yeah, I can see the appeal if you want no/low maintenance and true "urban living". I'll take a slightly longer walk/bike ride and a yard personally.
Great conversation here. First, I have tremendous enthusiasm for Hamilton. And the condo developments are highly positive, but I'm a bit concerned that only one big project--150 Main St--actually has shovels in the ground, as observed supra. However, there are a lot of cool finished or nearly finished projects (Witton lofts, City Square, even Stinson).

It seems everyone's holding their breath and waiting for a real tower to rise. We really need one nice visible tower to add legitimacy, it seems. Tivoli or the Connelly would do it.

As for housing, I'd have to dispute your conception of 'done' (knob and tube wiring, lead service?). That's not done. Further, the 'hoods referenced are still rough or gentrifying. I may sound like a snob, but there are only a couple of areas in this city that I'd consider moving my family into, and the ones referenced aren't them. Far too sketchy with crappy schools.

So, that's what I'm basing my price assertion on. Good luck finding a quality house in a quality neighbourhood with good schools that doesn't have a halfway house or 50-year-old guys riding 10-speeds and panhandling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton