HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

I like Ron Lancaster Field at Lakeport Stadium.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tiger Cats Say Sooner Is Better For New Stadium

Ken Mann
11/6/2009
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1162669

The president of the Hamilton Tiger Cats is sharing in the excitement.

Scott Mitchell says that the city is long overdue for some of the infrastructure projects, and he now looks forward to helping to execute the plan following confirmation that the Golden Horseshoe will host the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Mitchell also stresses that a new stadium will be much needed for the club's long term "viability and success".

There are suggestions that a new stadium could be built in as little as three years. Mitchell insists "the sooner the better", noting that "Ivor Wynne is a diminishing asset".

Tiger Cats owner Bob Young has verbally pledged to help pay the cost of building their new home.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I don't think the location is actually too bad. It is downtown-ish and right near Bayfront Park. Copps Coliseum is only about a five or ten minute walk away from it --- less than a kilometre, I believe.
No, I meant the idea of putting the stadium near the airport or anywhere where it's surrounded by nothing is a bad idea - which is what the Spec article is saying. I like the Waterfront idea as it's close enough to downtown and keeps things a lot tighter.

It seems all Hamiltonians ever care about is where they're going to park their car. The Spec article fails to mention that the stadium will be very accessible from GO and Via (when they're set up) - which is a plus to help draw people from out of town. I like the idea of potential outdoor summer concerts in this stadium (which is even more important to drawing people from outside the city by use of GO and Via). The stadium needs to be used for more than just Pan-Am and CFL - the more use it gets for different types of events, the better it is for rejuvenating the downtown and Waterfront area.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.thespec.com/videogallery/668036
If you freeze at 3:25 you can see a surface parking lot north west of the stadium. Directly across the practice field.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:49 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Your logo isn't showing.

what does that mean? look who's now a graphic designer critic

one of the stadiums telling feature are the overhangs.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
what does that mean? look who's now a graphic designer critic

Let me re-word it... your link isn't working (for me at least).... unless your logo is a red "x".

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I don't think the location is actually too bad. It is downtown-ish and right near Bayfront Park. Copps Coliseum is only about a five or ten minute walk away from it --- less than a kilometre, I believe.
I totally agree. This is the beauty of the downtown. Everything is within 1-2km from the centre of the city. From the bay front all the way to the base of the escarpment is only 3km.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 11:28 PM

They best not built this anywhere but the waterfront, if they do, I go from being a supporter of the Pan Am games for being a non supporter in a blink of an eye.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 11:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tourism Hamilton, David Adames, is working on the business case for the stadium. The Ti Cats are waiting on this report before committing any funds for a 30,000 stadium.

The business case will probably come out in 2010. Right now they need to form the Pan Am committee and a new CEO.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfront View Post

Oh yeah - they also better hire someone to clean the seats before every event ... oily soot and coal dust fallout from the industrial chimneys and sites coat this area every time there is an East wind. I have a boat roughly 1km east of here, and it is not uncommon to wash the boat on saturday morning, and have it covered in a film of grime again by saturday night.
How will this be different than Ivor Wynne?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 2:58 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
It's only 3 or 4 blocks from Copps. Most of the properties from just North of York between Bay and Hess will be apart of the complex. That complex also includes the velodrome and numerous training fields.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:20 PM

25K seats would just be too small. Of the 54 regular season games played outside of Hamilton and Montreal (where capacity is only 20K), only six had attendances of less than 25K. The smallest crowd in the Western conference was 26,885.

Also, while the $150MM number that is being bandied about sounds like it would get the city something more substantial than BMO Field, it still sounds quite a bit on the light side ----the cost of the new retractable roof at BC Place alone will be literally more than triple that. A new stadium would likely be in use for many decades --- if this thing is going to get built, it should get built properly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 12:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

BMO Field cost $63 million for 20,000 stadium, it'll cost $102 million for 15,000 stadium.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:11 PM

As I posted before, here we go with the anti-waterfront locale for a stadium with another letter to the editor @ The Spec today. Some people just can't see the "vision" of what our waterfront could look like.

http://thespec.com/Opinions/Letterto...article/669179

Stadium would hurt our 'sick' downtown
Elizabeth Ward
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton
(Nov 9, 2009)
Re: 'A design charette for our downtown' (Opinion, Nov. 5)

I read with interest Thomas A. Beckett's proposal for the downtown core.

As someone who lives in the North End and walks through the core to work every day, I couldn't agree with him more. The core is "desperately sick," and there is no vision or political will to change things.

I consider myself a huge supporter of Hamilton, and I recognize as a city we have so much potential with our beautiful old buildings, access to green spaces and vibrant arts community, which has managed to thrive despite lack of support from our municipal politicians -- for example, the recent struggles of The Pearl Factory.

The city has thrown its support both politically and financially behind the Pan Am Games, but I question how this will really be beneficial to Hamilton in the long run. If we must host the Games, I agree with an earlier letter writer who suggested a stadium in the Mount Hope area would be more logical.

My vision of Hamilton is one where a downtown core is alive and thriving and has seamless access to a waterfront area that all Hamiltonians can enjoy, rather than one marred by a stadium of interest to only a few.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 5:44 PM

is it going to be 25k or 30k?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 6:31 PM

Stadium location

Stay tuned on this....

The waterfront location is NOT carved in stone. We will soon be hearing proposals put forth to council to locate the stadium where Sir John A Macdonald school currently exists.

The school could be rebuild at the Central Park location,along bay north, and this parcel of land ties in nicely with LRT, downtown nightlife, restaurants, copps etc...

The problem with the waterfront...is ...well water. The stadium would have to be build on massive pilings, to support it

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 7:31 PM

These letters are pretty silly. Honestly, who is enjoying the current state of the Rheem building on the proposed stadium site other than urban explorers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
As I posted before, here we go with the anti-waterfront locale for a stadium with another letter to the editor @ The Spec today. Some people just can't see the "vision" of what our waterfront could look like.

http://thespec.com/Opinions/Letterto...article/669179

Stadium would hurt our 'sick' downtown
Elizabeth Ward
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton
(Nov 9, 2009)
Re: 'A design charette for our downtown' (Opinion, Nov. 5)

I read with interest Thomas A. Beckett's proposal for the downtown core.

As someone who lives in the North End and walks through the core to work every day, I couldn't agree with him more. The core is "desperately sick," and there is no vision or political will to change things.

I consider myself a huge supporter of Hamilton, and I recognize as a city we have so much potential with our beautiful old buildings, access to green spaces and vibrant arts community, which has managed to thrive despite lack of support from our municipal politicians -- for example, the recent struggles of The Pearl Factory.

The city has thrown its support both politically and financially behind the Pan Am Games, but I question how this will really be beneficial to Hamilton in the long run. If we must host the Games, I agree with an earlier letter writer who suggested a stadium in the Mount Hope area would be more logical.

My vision of Hamilton is one where a downtown core is alive and thriving and has seamless access to a waterfront area that all Hamiltonians can enjoy, rather than one marred by a stadium of interest to only a few.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleale2 View Post
Stay tuned on this....

The waterfront location is NOT carved in stone. We will soon be hearing proposals put forth to council to locate the stadium where Sir John A Macdonald school currently exists.

The school could be rebuild at the Central Park location,along bay north, and this parcel of land ties in nicely with LRT, downtown nightlife, restaurants, copps etc...

The problem with the waterfront...is ...well water. The stadium would have to be build on massive pilings, to support it
The waterfront would look pretty sweet with a stadium, but this other location wouldn't bother me. As long as it's downtown or close to it.

Just please let this idea of putting it near the airport or anywhere else in the boonies die already. At one point this city has to learn from it's own mistakes as well as others.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The waterfront would look pretty sweet with a stadium, but this other location wouldn't bother me. As long as it's downtown or close to it.

Just please let this idea of putting it near the airport or anywhere else in the boonies die already. At one point this city has to learn from it's own mistakes as well as others.

Poll on thespec.com:

With the Pan Am decision in, the location of Hamilton's new stadium is stirring some controversy. Which of the three options do you prefer? Take the poll and click here to comment in Have Your Say
Near airport
Waterfront (Reem site) (sic)
Confederation Park area

Waterfront winning this race so far with 56.5% of votes. Airport 22.37% and Confederation Park 20.06%

Last edited by Gurnett71; Nov 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 10:10 PM

lol
the Spec seriously spelt Rheem wrong?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton