HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Is that part of the station on the left? I was under the impression the station would only be that two story slim rectangular building.
That's below street level parking on the left.

Source

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:46 PM

wow, almost like a parking garage. Never realized how significant the investment to this station was.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:01 PM

That's the parking structure.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:46 PM

I have to question if lowering the tracks was really necessary. GO trains have already used those tracks the way they are.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:26 PM

I've got a question: Is this train station really necessary? I mean really? I don't understand any of this...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I've got a question: Is this train station really necessary? I mean really? I don't understand any of this...

Yes most definately necessary. Metrolinx wants to extend lakeshore west to centennial parkway. Winona. Grimsby and into the niagara region. The current hamilton go station isnt on the same tracks and is the end of the line. This station serves the lakeshorewest line in downtown hamilton as the line proceeds to niagara.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I have to question if lowering the tracks was really necessary. GO trains have already used those tracks the way they are.
I hadn't noticed the lowering. If that's the case it's probably to allow room for future electrification of the Lakeshore West line.

Lowering the tracks is no doubt expensive, but it's still easier than raising the bridges.

The additional space leaves room for the power cables and pantograph, plus maybe a bit extra to keep it apart from the bridge above.

I'm not sure if every person calling for the immediate electrification of all GO lines is aware of just how much must be done first, before that seemingly simple upgrade can be implemented.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Is that part of the station on the left? I was under the impression the station would only be that two story slim rectangular building.
That's the multi-story parking structure. There has been too much urban support for this suburban-parking-inspired station.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Yes most definately necessary. Metrolinx wants to extend lakeshore west to centennial parkway. Winona. Grimsby and into the niagara region. The current hamilton go station isnt on the same tracks and is the end of the line. This station serves the lakeshorewest line in downtown hamilton as the line proceeds to niagara.
Yeah, I guess so. The cynic in me is thinking something very different...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:16 AM

there are issues getting all day service into the existing station as well as the tunnel can only hold a single track, plus issues with CP refusing to cooperate.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I'm a little surprised that a start date for regular service hasn't been announced yet. OK actually I'm not really surprised.
Metrolinx is notorious for not releasing scheduling information until almost immediately before service begins. Expect the service start announcement around a week before the service actually begins.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:12 AM

Quote:
That's the multi-story parking structure. There has been too much urban support for this suburban-parking-inspired station.
I actually think they've been super creative with this station, and wouldn't call it suburban at all. I mean, it's not actually located directly in the core. I really like how they utilized the space below ground level for parking. The station gets parking, and the neighbourhood doesn't get a giant parking block visible from the street.

Quote:
Definitely looking like it'll literally be a track and a platform for the pan am's.
Doubtful. The games are just under 100 days away. I don't know when you were last down at the site, but the actual building looks like it's nearing completion, with glass being installed.

Last edited by davidcappi; Apr 4, 2015 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 7:59 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I'm not sure they did that.

They excavated the grade on the south side to accommodate the parking structure, but I thought the rails were staying at level with the current track.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 3:03 AM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:02 AM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:23 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

We need this to be a VIA station also.

Hamilton definitely the coolest GO stations between here and Union... all that crap in between looks like our MacNab bus station.... but with a sea of asphalt.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:37 AM
Hammer'd

VIA probably won't ever happen again because of geography. The busiest route in the area (Toronto-Windsor) would have to go a few km's out of it's way to service a downtown Hamilton station. The only service that could be provided reliably is if they moved the stop for the Toronto-New York route from Aldershot to Hamilton but still, pointless, since the Aldershot station would remain for the Windsor service anyway. As beautiful as our geography is, it kinda screws us on passenger rail.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 9:20 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

good points. But wasn't the Liuna Station once a VIA station?

Our geography also screws us on passenger air traffic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 6:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

VIA did commit to serving the new station but that was way back when Bratina was Mayor. No idea if that's still happening. Can't see why they wouldn't make a stop before heading to Aldershot.

Anyways this station is gonna look sleek and modern. Historical LIUNA, former GO Station, on one side and a new modern GO Station on the other side.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 7:05 PM

I would like to see VIA and Amtrak stop here. I live beside the tracks near Wentworth and I seek Amtrak cars zoom by all the time heading towards the new station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton