HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:26 AM

This is going before DRP again on July 8:

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...july8-2021.pdf

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 3:48 PM

Presentation posted. 3x30 storeys, they have squared the site off with some additional assemblies now. IBI group is architect. 103m, 101m, and 100m to roof level. 908 residential units, 505 parking spaces.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:01 PM

build it!!! build it now!!!! please!!!!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
build it!!! build it now!!!! please!!!!
Emblem is behind it, the same developer behind 1 Jarvis. And 1 Jarvis started construction very quickly!

903 new residential units would be an absolutely massive boost to the downtown's population.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 4:18 PM

wow. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a fall start to this one. Great news for the core!

It's going to be a wild ride for downtown Hamilton in the next year.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 5:24 PM

Would be nice to see light features up top the mechanical box.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:03 PM

Those are some massive retail units, would be nice on maybe John Street to split up some of the units into 500sqft units to allow for smaller businesses to operate.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 8:31 PM
It's a nickname from work

With a project this size I suspect they're trying to attract some commercial tenants that are maybe a bit more posh, and you don't usually find in their own buildings. You know, the brands you usually see in malls.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
With a project this size I suspect they're trying to attract some commercial tenants that are maybe a bit more posh, and you don't usually find in their own buildings. You know, the brands you usually see in malls.
Perhaps, but Toronto has started to recognize this kills the downtown areas because they become filled with generic franchise stores. It's a common retort that any historic building with a hip venue that is redeveloped will surely be a condo tower with a Shoppers Drug Mart on the first floor. Not to say a shoppers directly downtown, or another grocery store wouldn't be nice, but we want to ensure James St isn't sucked of life in a similar fashion to Ottawa St from large corporate stores. Toronto has started to utilize zoning to force local businesses only into commercial spaces, and some condo developers are starting to build commercial spaces with stages designed to house cultural spaces.

Hamilton shouldn't go through all the same mistakes Toronto has.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Perhaps, but Toronto has started to recognize this kills the downtown areas because they become filled with generic franchise stores. It's a common retort that any historic building with a hip venue that is redeveloped will surely be a condo tower with a Shoppers Drug Mart on the first floor. Not to say a shoppers directly downtown, or another grocery store wouldn't be nice, but we want to ensure James St isn't sucked of life in a similar fashion to Ottawa St from large corporate stores. Toronto has started to utilize zoning to force local businesses only into commercial spaces, and some condo developers are starting to build commercial spaces with stages designed to house cultural spaces.

Hamilton shouldn't go through all the same mistakes Toronto has.
I mean, I'd much rather have Shoppers Drug Mart on the ground floor retail than the riff raff we currently have on Cannon. I'd say in that regard, Toronto is far far more vibrant than what we have. Pretty much anything is an improvement to this area, as sad as that is to say.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I mean, I'd much rather have Shoppers Drug Mart on the ground floor retail than the riff raff we currently have on Cannon. I'd say in that regard, Toronto is far far more vibrant than what we have. Pretty much anything is an improvement to this area, as sad as that is to say.
I mean obviously this is an improvement over a parking lot. But that doesn't mean the city should settle for mediocrity because it's better than what we've got.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 10:16 PM

none of these spaces are large enough for a shoppers - they typically need closer to 10,000sf.

The spaces along Wilson are pretty small, the spaces along John and Hughson are larger, but even then are best described as mid-sized. These are good sized spaces for restaurants, etc.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 10:49 PM
Ham-burgher

This is classy.

The DeRP will probably provide the same tired critique though... "it's too tall for its surroundings", "it doesn't fit with the neighbourhood aesthetic", etc.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
none of these spaces are large enough for a shoppers - they typically need closer to 10,000sf.

The spaces along Wilson are pretty small, the spaces along John and Hughson are larger, but even then are best described as mid-sized. These are good sized spaces for restaurants, etc.
Some Shoppers Drug Mart location in downtown Toronto are 5000-7000sqft. My point being that these spaces are far more suited to the Keg over the French. Starbucks over Mulberry. Toronto has started to see very small units that can accommodate local cafes and such.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 11:28 PM
Burger Connoisseur

YES, build it yesterday!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Some Shoppers Drug Mart location in downtown Toronto are 5000-7000sqft. My point being that these spaces are far more suited to the Keg over the French. Starbucks over Mulberry. Toronto has started to see very small units that can accommodate local cafes and such.
What's important is building the condos that will attract high earning residents to the core. The rest of what you describe will follow.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:58 AM

Still find it hard to believe that this site would attract interest before so many other parking lots dotted a few blocks closer to the epicentre and the GO Train . But hey, super excited to see it happen. Love the density, hope they cut through silly hall red tape and make it happen

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:31 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

This is classy.

The DeRP will probably provide the same tired critique though... "it's too tall for its surroundings", "it doesn't fit with the neighbourhood aesthetic", etc.
I think you mean "glassy" lol

at least they won't detract from the craftsmanship of the church

assuming noone burns it down..

I also still find it hilarious the only full block of parking directly in front of this still remains empty while all the others around it are being developed.. I wonder if it will ever be developed..

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:55 PM

To be honest, this is nicer than 1 Jarvis.

Shoppers? We'd be lucky getting the tier 2 version, Rexall (more expensive and crappy). This is actually a good area for another layer of retail since you've got the plaza with Nabil's and Dr. Disc opposite right there, so continuing a retail strip onwards from James (+ east) and International Village (+ north).

Last edited by craftbeerdad; Jul 7, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:11 PM

Wonder why emblem ditched JCI for IBI... JCI is a considerably more talented firm, though IBI has been known to occasionally produce good buildings (AXIS on church is really nice, so is their proposed Dufferin / 401 development)

Would have preferred to see some more height at the corner with each tower stepping down to the north (instead of 30x3 think 40 30 20) with some kind of east west mid block connection (the gigantic above ground parking podium is to blame here)

Hamilton, though great for food, could really use more actual retail in the core so people don't have to head to the fringes/suburbs to get essentials. There's nowhere downtown to buy housewares, clothing (that isn't a weird vintage boutique) and other basic necessities. I actually think a proper shoppers with big city hours (8am to midnight) would be excellent for downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton