HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I noticed yesterday that a crew was removing the chimney on the west side of the existing LiUNA office, as well as some of the brick facade. I suspect construction is immanent.
I saw those workers too, but the chimney was back to normal by the end of the day. Probably just repairs or replacing a few bricks. Things on site would have looked much more involved if it was the start of actual demo.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
I saw those workers too, but the chimney was back to normal by the end of the day. Probably just repairs or replacing a few bricks. Things on site would have looked much more involved if it was the start of actual demo.
Weird! That chimney is not shown in any of the renders of this project, so I thought it was being removed. But I was just walking past, so didn't really get a good look at what they are doing.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
I can confirm for sure the chimney has been removed completely in preparation for the construction of the condo tower.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 3:46 PM

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2021/...-height-limit/

Now proposed at 34 storeys and 111 metres in height. This would become the third tallest building in the City, behind Landmark Place at 121 metres, and The Moderne at 117 metres.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

This location would be great for a class A office space, something the city needs and has a meager inventory; there's plenty of class B and C office space. This would make a great mixed-used building with the GO Centre next door and a short walk to the future B-Line stop. Doesn't have to be much, maybe just three or five floors of office space.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:58 PM

We definitely need some Class A LEED certified (regular, Platinum, Gold or Silver) buildings. That would really create some demand. I heard there's a climate emergency in this city....maybe a good idea to build some, I don't know, environmentally friendly office space?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 7:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Even the address, 75 James, sounds like an address perfect for office space.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:00 PM

Someone is on site today preparing to build what looks like the perimeter pedestrian walkway canopy/wall.

Maybe groundbreaking is imminent.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Someone is on site today preparing to build what looks like the perimeter pedestrian walkway canopy/wall.

Maybe groundbreaking is imminent.
No permit to dig yet, and their proposed height increase still hasn't been approved yet I don't believe.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:11 PM

The height increase is minor enough that construction can be well underway before it gets approved. Provided it doesn't change the underground levels, which it shouldn't, it can probably wait a year and still not impact the schedule.

No permit is odd but that doesn't really prevent things. UrbanSolutions just posted on their instagram this week that Cobalt (finally) got it's permit in June despite being under construction for a long while.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:12 PM

I thought we had seen other projects in the city begin to dig before permits were technically issued?

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Aug 26, 2021 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 9:41 PM

I think typically a permit will show as "Under review" before things get started. The McMaster Graduate residence didn't start until a permit was actually posted, perhaps a conditional permit is imminent though.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:53 AM

75 James S

Word is they will break ground in the next 2 weeks. They're still fighting over the height, the builders want 40, the city says 30.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:00 PM

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2021/...it-is-no-more/

34 storey height increase approved.

Another nail in the coffin of the height limit following the approval of Television City. Television City was technically filed prior to the height limit so it wasn't an outright break, but this is.

It will be interesting to see if we see anyone try to blow the height limit apart at some point and go for 50 storeys or something.

One interesting way to think of this height increase is that it will add about 40 units compared to it being only 30 storeys.. which is the same number of units going into 18 Augusta. The height difference here will barely be perceptible but will add the equivalent amount of units and density to downtown as a 6-storey midrise building. Sort of shows how the height limit restricts housing supply.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 2:56 PM

mods, thread title can be changed to Approved.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:07 PM

Fantastic news. So we can expect construction to get started very soon then.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

34 storey height increase approved.

Another nail in the coffin of the height limit following the approval of Television City. Television City was technically filed prior to the height limit so it wasn't an outright break, but this is.

It will be interesting to see if we see anyone try to blow the height limit apart at some point and go for 50 storeys or something.

One interesting way to think of this height increase is that it will add about 40 units compared to it being only 30 storeys.. which is the same number of units going into 18 Augusta. The height difference here will barely be perceptible but will add the equivalent amount of units and density to downtown as a 6-storey midrise building. Sort of shows how the height limit restricts housing supply.
I don't think that's a fair comparison, the Augusta building has a significantly smaller footprint, so obviously an increase of a building with 4X the foot print will lead to a 3X-4X increase in units.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 6:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I don't think that's a fair comparison, the Augusta building has a significantly smaller footprint, so obviously an increase of a building with 4X the foot print will lead to a 3X-4X increase in units.
I can see Innsertnamehere's point.

While I want to see many more Augusta-style developments on empty lots or underutilized properties all throughout the lower city (and parts of the upper!), if the city gets over quibbling and hardlining about a few extra floors above 30, there's opportunity to add many more units to the local housing market (and more residents downtown) via these towers without a major change in height policy or a massive effect on urban form. I'd want to see them do so in exchange for other public benefits or amenities though.

That said, the argument has a limit so long as the tall buildings policy remains. It can't turn into an ever expanding case: "Well, they got 4 extra floors... all we're asking for is 6"... "We think there is precedent for 8"... "They got 8, 10 isn't a whole lot more you know"... etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I can see Innsertnamehere's point.

While I want to see many more Augusta-style developments on empty lots or underutilized properties all throughout the lower city (and parts of the upper!), if the city gets over quibbling and hardlining about a few extra floors above 30, there's opportunity to add many more units to the local housing market (and more residents downtown) via these towers without a major change in height policy or a massive effect on urban form. I'd want to see them do so in exchange for other public benefits or amenities though.

That said, the argument has a limit so long as the tall buildings policy remains. It can't turn into an ever expanding case: "Well, they got 4 extra floors... all we're asking for is 6"... "We think there is precedent for 8"... "They got 8, 10 isn't a whole lot more you know"... etc.
We'll see how it plays out. Perhaps small increases will be seen above the limit, but anything say above 5 floors will require a zoning amendment. Time will tell. They can absolutely use precedent though, and if the city says they can't, they can go to LPAT and argue their case with much better lawyers than the city will hire.

I just think it's unfair to the countless hours spent by staff and community members to help build a comprehensive secondary plan that allowed for density, but also respected the community. I disagree with some elements of the secondary plan, and so think there are some spots that can handle more density than the secondary plan set out, especially since the suburban areas are unwilling to budge on single family zoning, however it's incredibly disrespectful to basically say "eh whatever" to the people who worked on this plan. The point Liuna made about not being profitable on this site without an extra 4 floors shows that this was doing well to curb speculation. If Liuna couldn't make money by building a 30 storey building they would have to sell it at a price where someone would make money. Now that there is apparently free reign of height limits, prices will begin to trend upward as developers see dollar signs.

The other issue is Farr's inability to properly negotiate. Farr has tried to lay the red carpet for many a developer only to have nothing come of it. Dud after dud shows bad decision making at city hall, and by simply letting developers run the city, you run into issues that Toronto had years past where developers run the town, and still do to a degree. Even if you support taller buildings, this is not the right way to get your way, unless you are truly a tall tower zealot, because sound policy is the way to improve the housing market, not city staff and the community getting "owned". If the secondary plan truly has terrible policy, we should be working to improve that policy, which, yes, can include removing red tape.

I'm not sure some here are that interested in removing red tape, as they are in seeing tall buildings, otherwise they would support removal of parking minimums, which on this forum has luke warm reception. Mandatory parking spots which can cost 15% - 25% the cost of a new unit, and reduces the total number of units is a massive problem, and would make buildings far more profitable to build at lower heights.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:15 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
EXACTLY! They need to scrap the height limit entirely, let the market dictate how high we go!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton