HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:56 PM

I've got nothing to say except I love it. Also a few more screencaps from the DRP presentation. Hopefully these developments are used as precedent for new developments on how to get your stuff submitted, recommended for approval, and built.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
14-18 Augusta went before the DRP in July of 2020, and broke ground March 2021. Wonder how quickly this one will get moving.
I have to assumed quite quickly. The parking garage below grade is connected between all three buildings. These other two need to be finished asap after the one currently under construction.

I'm glad I was right about the property being a single one meaning that Augusta and Hughson corner may get filled. Dreams really do come true.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I have to assumed quite quickly. The parking garage below grade is connected between all three buildings. These other two need to be finished asap after the one currently under construction.

I'm glad I was right about the property being a single one meaning that Augusta and Hughson corner may get filled. Dreams really do come true.
Ya i'm predicting this gets started sometime in the fall, sooner than 14-18 Augusta.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:06 PM

CU just straight up killin' it. I will say it again, please city council just let them build in the inner city and take away the computer from Vranich.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:25 PM

Buildings look nice - a little goofy for my tastes, especially the James St one.

A few notes -

they need to figure out how to activate that alley / rear section, especially if each building is going to have a street facing parking ramp. Would be great if they could negotiate with medical arts to plan for a future pedestrian alley / mews going north south. Right now those balconies look out onto nothing, so finding a way to make that rear space special (and not just a loading / garbage void) is key

there are no plans for street trees or green roofs (I guess the city doesn't require them) but CU should be going above and beyond here and not doing the bare minimum re landscaping

I would like to see the James St building pushed back from the sidewalk to provide space for a patio and landscaping, as well as to preserve the view of the Medical Arts signage from James Street. I know they're going wood frame here so they're limited to 6 stories, but the one on James St should consider adding a floor to offset any set back from the sidewalk needed to keep the view of the MA signage.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Buildings look nice - a little goofy for my tastes, especially the James St one.

A few notes -

they need to figure out how to activate that alley / rear section, especially if each building is going to have a street facing parking ramp. Would be great if they could negotiate with medical arts to plan for a future pedestrian alley / mews going north south. Right now those balconies look out onto nothing, so finding a way to make that rear space special (and not just a loading / garbage void) is key

there are no plans for street trees or green roofs (I guess the city doesn't require them) but CU should be going above and beyond here and not doing the bare minimum re landscaping

I would like to see the James St building pushed back from the sidewalk to provide space for a patio and landscaping, as well as to preserve the view of the Medical Arts signage from James Street. I know they're going wood frame here so they're limited to 6 stories, but the one on James St should consider adding a floor to offset any set back from the sidewalk needed to keep the view of the MA signage.
I agree that the alleyway would be my only real criticism, and one mentioned in the staff documents. There is no shared amenity space, so these balconies will essentially get a view of garbage trucks and delivery trucks, and that's it.

I do think CoreUrban is trying to stay cheap though. Wood construction, simple shape, no amenities or bells and whistles, staying within zoning. It's essentially designed to glide right through approval process. Most older buildings that Core Urban tries to emulate have no amenities.

In terms of the design, I think it looks great, depending on the material used. I suspect they will keep to the design as much as possible and use real stone. So long as they do quality work, it'll look good to my eye. Just no repeat of the downtown Oakville french style grossness: https://maps.app.goo.gl/QTZgX6Mb4shMzW3A9

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:40 PM

Some solid points above, especially pushing back the James new build. Can't block the MA sign! Only thing I would say is there's a lack of landscaping currently on this stretch of James St S other than planters. La Luna really stands out now (not in a good way).

Forgot the balconies face the back (14-18 Augusta), not front and as much as views of garbage bins is exciting, maybe there's some small courtyard action on the way?

These two additions complement this block quite well (other than apartment building on the corner of Augusta/James).

Maybe MA will get a wash afterwards?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So long as they do quality work, it'll look good to my eye. Just no repeat of the downtown Oakville french style grossness: https://maps.app.goo.gl/QTZgX6Mb4shMzW3A9
Dear lord that's hideous and doesn't work

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:45 PM

reminds me a little of the phoebe on queen

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:46 PM

I was going to say... I hope that they have a plan for the garbage and grease waste bins behind Pheasant Plucker. They smell quite bad on a hot day....would hate to own a lower level unit in one of these builds close to that area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I was going to say... I hope that they have a plan for the garbage and grease waste bins behind Pheasant Plucker. They smell quite bad on a hot day....would hate to own a lower level unit in one of these builds close to that area.
I'm curious if they bought the Pheasant Plucker and perhaps may amalgamate the garbage disposal? Or perhaps they're just going to be nice and let them use it? I'm sure somewhere there is lot owner information, and perhaps there was a private sale. Regardless Pheasant Plucker will be pretty significantly boxed in here. It'll be an interesting little place to still exist beside these two 6 storey buildings. I could see DRP having issues with that as well.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:54 PM
Forever forward.

Excellent news. Generally a big fan of this project.

I personally think the James Street building is the much better looking of the two. I think it has cleaner lines and is better resolved than the Hughson building -- even if it has a bit more of a 'Downtown Oakville' vibe.

The ground floor space in the James Street building needs to aim for a better outcome than medical uses. Let medical office space locate in the Medical Arts building, 190 James South (the Big Bee Plaza), or 200 James South - not prime retail space.

I'm going to disagree on pushing back the James Street building. I think there's value in keeping the street wall intact and I'm not convinced that views to the Medical Arts sign (no matter how nice it is) is a good enough reason to break the street wall. It seems like you will still be able to see it, going off of the 3d model pictures posted above. I am also doubtful that sitting or dining on a patio right on James would be a pleasant experience.

The Hughson building is okay, but I think they need to rework that corner aspect somewhat if they're planning on featuring it prominently, it comes off as somewhat clunky to my eye. As well, the top two floors need some cleaning up and refinement.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Excellent news. Generally a big fan of this project.

I personally think the James Street building is the much better looking of the two. I think it has cleaner lines and is better resolved than the Hughson building -- even if it has a bit more of a 'Downtown Oakville' vibe.

The ground floor space in the James Street building needs to aim for a better outcome than medical uses. Let medical office space locate in the Medical Arts building, 190 James South (the Big Bee Plaza), or 200 James South - not prime retail space.

I'm going to disagree on pushing back the James Street building. I think there's value in keeping the street wall intact and I'm not convinced that views to the Medical Arts sign (no matter how nice it is) is a good enough reason to break the street wall. It seems like you will still be able to see it, going off of the 3d model pictures posted above. I am also doubtful that sitting or dining on a patio right on James would be a pleasant experience.

The Hughson building is okay, but I think they need to rework that corner aspect somewhat if they're planning on featuring it prominently, it comes off as somewhat clunky to my eye. As well, the top two floors need some cleaning up and refinement.
I agree. In some cases it's the responsibility of the builder to provide a wider sidewalk, and provide patio space because it's in the public good interest, but in this case I think it's the responsibility of the city to improve the streetscape of James S and perhaps widen the sidewalk. No matter how set back this is, it isn't that pleasant to sit on the street.

I'm curious why they can only go 6 storeys with wood frame though. I know wood frame is limited in height, but I've heard of wood frame 15 storey buildings.

I do find the Hughson and Augusta building to be a bit lackluster. It clearly takes design suggestions from the Copley building at Hughson and Cannon, but does so without much grace or interesting detail.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:10 PM

Ontario building code limits height to 6 storeys for wood right now. This is actually an increase over ~5 years ago, when the limit was 4 storeys.

There is a process to get permission for more than 6 stories (“alternative solutions” in the building code) but it’s challenging to get approval for it. A few buildings in Toronto are going that route but the budget likely isn’t there for it here.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:11 PM

Buildings made of wood taller than 6 stories like t3 Bayside and t3 sterling road have exemptions from OBC as they're built using mass timber (they also overcompensate with sprinklers and concrete cores etc). This will probably just be a combo of wood stick and steel framing.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:14 PM

Thanks to both for the information.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:38 PM

I have to say though, it is very refreshing to see the work Core Urban is doing. You can tell they really care about the city, and improving its image. I predict a bright future for that firm.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I have to say though, it is very refreshing to see the work Core Urban is doing. You can tell they really care about the city, and improving its image. I predict a bright future for that firm.
I'm really curious how they do it. They're quite small, and according to David they can't seem to fill all their office space, and yet they're building 3 buildings out of nowhere and all at what many would consider quite reasonable heights.

And it's incredibly evident Core Urban cares about the city. Every time I message them, they always respond and are incredibly friendly. It's the kind of developer you want in your city.

I'm curious if they will be landlords for the rental units here or contract it out, and how good they will be as residential landlords.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 8:54 PM
Ham-burgher

It would be nice to see the finished product of the building under construction on Augusta before commenting on these two, but given the builder I'm confident they'll all look quite nice. Imagine stuff like this springing up along main streets all through the lower city... there are lots of opportunities for it.

I've always loved the 3-4 storey 1920s-to-50s era walk-up apartments that exist along Main and King largely between Dundurn and Gage, and on some other streets in the older city. I wish more had been built back in the day. No reason new builds can't somewhat emulate them, or be complementary. Core Urban's versions fit that bill.

Buildings like these
and this aside from how the courtyard is being used for parking
this
this
this
these, which were I believe athlete housing during the 1930 British Empire Games
this one
and this
etc., etc.,...

There are probably dozens and dozens of them around town. Some are in rough shape (particularly along King E) but some have been spruced up nicely, others not as nicely. Great density though.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:37 PM

if they were to build any "fake historic" structures like that in Mississauga, I would be thrilled.. Those look great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton