HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:11 PM

Also I don't know if anyone else asked. But I asked if the submission docs could be published rather than having to ask for it everytime. Not sure if it was my request that got us this, but I'm a fan.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:35 PM

Hmm I would like to see even more density at a site this close to Hunter Go

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:41 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

There’s still plenty of parking lots that need filling up in the area. Many of which are big enough for towers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:04 PM
Burger Connoisseur

CU is just killin' it in this city! This is going to be quite the little block when complete.

I hope one day Core urban can do a skyscraper downtown we would probably get our very own Chrysler Building or Empire State Building!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
There’s still plenty of parking lots that need filling up in the area. Many of which are big enough for towers.
There are somewhere between 15-30 surface parking lots within a 5 minute walk of the Hunter Go Centre. An important thing, that I've discussed ad nauseam here is that height isn't the only important thing.

Place making is incredibly important. James S and Augusta have a culture and are a place to go. Character has an effect on that, and these add to that character by adding something new, but also meeting the area where it's at. That's good so that the Go centre has something nearby that isn't just housing. It also means more people will have places to go nearby.

The other thing is cost. If this builder is doing this because they're making a profit. That's a good thing. That means they'll continue to make investments in the community. We need these to be built quickly to keep up with demand. A great benefit of wood construction is that it can go up faster, especially at this height because no tower crane is required. That means we can build housing quickly. Cobalt is going to be great for downtown, but won't be done for many years. These will likely be done before that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:50 PM

Anyone notice that Impark has been selling off their lots lately downtown? A clear indication that they do not forecast the return of downtown office use.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:02 AM

Impark is a parking operator not a landowner. Landowners contract them out to run the parking lots.

Lots are getting sold off for development because market pressures are making new construction apartments profitable in Hamilton, not because office is going south.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:07 AM

I believe it is a combination of the two. Hamilton is both becoming more attractive, and office use will be slowing down for years to come and Impark or whoever owns the lot is choosing to liquidate.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I believe it is a combination of the two. Hamilton is both becoming more attractive, and office use will be slowing down for years to come and Impark or whoever owns the lot is choosing to liquidate.
Prices for land have skyrocketed. It's probably just landowners deciding to cash in. If I own a property with a parking lot downtown right now I'd be selling too.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Prices for land have skyrocketed. It's probably just landowners deciding to cash in. If I own a property with a parking lot downtown right now I'd be selling too.
Yep, it's an amazing time to sell. Value is extremely high, yet these lots aren't going to be making as much money moving forward.

And I welcome it. This city finally seems to be turning a corner.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Yep, it's an amazing time to sell. Value is extremely high, yet these lots aren't going to be making as much money moving forward.

And I welcome it. This city finally seems to be turning a corner.
It's going to be crazy to see all the parking lots fill in slowly over the coming years. I'm still most excited by the Wilson and John area. That's a sea of parking that I can't wait to see gone.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:58 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Wow 2 buildings! Great news.

praaaaaise da laaawd

PRAAAISE JEBUS

I love core urbans stuff, and I love the fact they are matching the historic feel right downtown, exactly where it is needed - they can rebuild half the city for all I care- I'll take stuff with character over modern crap any day

The la luna in between feels dinky though - too bad you can't do a street wall.. and I hope those mullions on the building are stamped or embossed with some detail and not just plain.. as that would add some beauty to it as well

also i loove the white of the proposed building buuut I question placing it on james street where it will become filthy in the wintertime.. buuuut we'll see how that goes.. also it's sad that I've become excited to see arches when architecture has pretty becomes just 90 degree angles these days or angles and not curves.. I mean the word arch is in architecture..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:11 AM
It's a nickname from work

I also feel bad for the poor little Pheasant Plucker, stuck in the middle. But, with a few murals and a rooftop patio, it could look even better than before

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
It's going to be crazy to see all the parking lots fill in slowly over the coming years. I'm still most excited by the Wilson and John area. That's a sea of parking that I can't wait to see gone.
Yeah that John and Wilson development will be transformative. Wish it would get through the approval process faster.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:20 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
I also feel bad for the poor little Pheasant Plucker, stuck in the middle. But, with a few murals and a rooftop patio, it could look even better than before
you mean the pleasant phuc-

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:21 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Yeah that John and Wilson development will be transformative. Wish it would get through the approval process faster.
there was originally a factory here - I think it was the eatons cotton factory - as well as a couple churches on this lot. But it is the most iconic parking lot as it's one of the only ones that is an entire city block of parking.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
there was originally a factory here - I think it was the eatons cotton factory - as well as a couple churches on this lot. But it is the most iconic parking lot as it's one of the only ones that is an entire city block of parking.
Is there a development planned in that lot? I think you're referring to 75 John Street North? I mean the development planned on the north side of Wilson, this one.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 4:04 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Is there a development planned in that lot? I think you're referring to 75 John Street North? I mean the development planned on the north side of Wilson, this one.
Not as of yet, there are developments all AROUND it but not on this giant parking lot city block..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 11:58 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Anyone notice that Impark has been selling off their lots lately downtown? A clear indication that they do not forecast the return of downtown office use.
Possibly more driven by an uptick in work from home trends rather than a decline in employment in the city? (On top of parking lots not making sense on such valuable land.)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Possibly more driven by an uptick in work from home trends rather than a decline in employment in the city? (On top of parking lots not making sense on such valuable land.)
That's what i'm saying yeah. It's unlikely that office use returns to pre-covid levels, and Impark is looking to liquidate those assets while land value is extremely high.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton