HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 9:05 PM

This may be slightly unrelated, but I am looking at an unexpected opportunity to work in another great Canadian city for a number of years (3 to 5). Would it be worthwhile to rent out our house or sell in at this point?

The house is in a nice and quiet Gage park neighbourhood, close to the Delta. I feel that we got a good deal on it a year ago, and that it will appreciate as transit plans become more solid. How hard is it to get trouble-free tenants, given that we would be very far away and would prefer not to travel to Hamilton every month or so...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
How hard is it to get trouble-free tenants, given that we would be very far away and would prefer not to travel to Hamilton every month or so...
Is there a friend or family member locally who could take care of situations that need immediate attention, and do things like drive by now and then to make sure the sidewalk's getting shovelled and so on?

There are no guarantees when it comes to choosing the best tenants, of course, but I would definitely do credit checks, call landlords and employers, and so on. That's all well worth the effort and cost.

(BTW, some credit check organizations -- at least one of the two major ones, I forget which -- won't let you order a check until they come to your place of "business" and verify that you have a locked filing cabinet in a locked room and a password-protected computer... All of which can be a PITA to set up, but you only have to do it once.)

If you want to research becoming a small landlord, PM me and I'll give you a list of forums/sites/books that you might want to look at. (It might take me a little while to get it together, as I've got a thesis due in two weeks.)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 1:29 PM

Thanks holymoly, I think you answered my question. It doesn't look like we would be good candidates to become small landlords...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
Thanks holymoly, I think you answered my question. It doesn't look like we would be good candidates to become small landlords...
Alternatively you can do what I have done with my property back in London.

Find a reasonably priced letting agent to take care of the property for you while you are away.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Alternatively you can do what I have done with my property back in London.

Find a reasonably priced letting agent to take care of the property for you while you are away.
This may be the route we will take if the house does not sell quickly enough. Thanks Omro!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 4:24 AM

hey everyone i was looking at everyone's posting and I am originally from Hamilton grew up all m life and now, my partner and I are planning on moving to Hamilton. We lived in Toronto for 10 years and now in Vancouver for 2 can anyone tell me how Hamilton is now i hear things are changing in the downtown we are planning on buying in the north end where my family lives can anyone tell me if thats a good decision.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 5:04 AM
Needs more coffee...

North end, north of Barton and the train tracks, west of Wellington, generally yes. Close to a redeveloped Harbour and housing values going up, lots of places selling for reasonable prices still. Everyone I know who lives in this area loves it. There's a few rougher spots but nowhere that would be a deal breaker for me.

North end, the area north of Barton street east of Wellington Street North, generally is not a good buy - because of the proximity to industry and concentration of poorly kept houses. A few bright spots though. Lots of houses fixed/flipped near the hospital at Victoria/Barton in the Keith neighbourhood for very modest profits, but still not a neighbourhood that's going to be a great investment.

Depending on how "north end" you mean, there's also the area that's between King Street and Barton, east of Wellington - that depends on the area and how far north/east you are. Some parts are quite nice, some are not - depends on the street. Lots of homes being bought and fixed up, also many that haven't changed or been improved in decades... it really depends.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 6:54 AM

i believe its right across from the liuna station

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 1:29 AM
Needs more coffee...

Appreciation-wise that's only going to get better when a GO station gets put in there... I'd personally buy near there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:00 AM

thanks emge i will for sure when looking at buying in hamilton

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:06 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

don't bother. stay away from this city. it's cheap for a reason.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:10 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
don't bother. stay away from this city. it's cheap for a reason.
Dude, seriously? I know you've been increasingly pissed off at pretty much everything over the past year, but to devolve into straight up "stay away from buying property in the city this entire board is dedicated to discussing buildings in" is over the edge.

And as far as places to buy that will go up in value, proximity to a new GO station is one of the few guaranteed things for property values increasing in this town.

I get that you're irritated and discouraged and don't think anyone else "gets it" like you do.. but all-out city bashing really shouldn't be acceptable on a board like this.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:12 PM

Can anyone recommend a realtor for a first-time home buyer in Hamilton (focus on the west end)?

Any recent first-time buyers have a particularly good experience?

Any replies (or PM's if you wish) would be appreciated.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
Can anyone recommend a realtor for a first-time home buyer in Hamilton (focus on the west end)?

If you're looking into a co-op or condo, Larry Bomford at Judy Marsales was excellent. I'm sure he could sell you a house, but he said his expertise was condos. http://www.judymarsales.com/agent.ph...=Larry+Bomford

Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:04 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post

I bought my house via Elizabeth Parker at Judy Marsales. She was brilliant and certainly helped me buying my first Canadian home.

http://www.judymarsales.com/agent.ph...izabeth+Parker

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 4:26 AM

Moving To Hamilton

i will be moving to hamilton next summer im buying near the north end bayfront area (next to the new GO startion, can i see this area turning into a
trendy area?????

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 5:11 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
i will be moving to hamilton next summer im buying near the north end bayfront area (next to the new GO startion, can i see this area turning into a
trendy area?????
It is already on it's way to becoming trendy. Lot's of gallery's and new things to do in the area and getting better all the time. Still needs some work but it is getting there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 8:34 PM

for about 20 years people have been talking about Hamilton's 'potential'. It's about time that that 'potential' started to be realized. There is something to be said about getting in on a good thing on the bottom floor. Well lots of people are waiting for that elevator door to go 'ding' and rise the next levels.

If you have a few more lifetimes, maybe I would invest in Hamilton. If you want ROI and QOL I hate to tell you what everyone, who cares about money and investment and quality of life, Hamilton is a penny stock, and for a reason.

Last edited by realcity; Oct 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 8:44 PM

Just wait for Aerotroplis. That whole area, (mostly owned by the major suburban land developers) proposed to be "employment" lands. Because we were told there was a huge list of companies just waiting, almost killing themselves to locate here once the Redhill was built. Now we have the Aerotroplis and this same mystery list rises again.

5 years in the future. Meadows of Mount Hope... 40' and 50' lots starting from the $270s

The only TWO people on council who voted against "aerotroplis/AEGD/Mt.Hope urban expansion" were BRATINA and McHattie.

So Fred voted for the Mt.Hope sprawl as his last thing in office.

Last edited by realcity; Nov 1, 2010 at 2:11 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion