HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
I forget, will that street be open to vehicles, or just pedestrians?
Both it will be similar to Regent Street in design.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
3. People don't expect it. Because they don't expect it - not much has been done to stop it. I think we live in a state of denial here. The homicide rate in Salt Lake is higher than it is in Denver and New York. It's the same with WVC. But we kinda just shrug at that because it doesn't fit the narrative.
The homicide rate in Salt Lake is NOT higher than Denver. The 2012-2016 average per 100,000 (I prefer using 5 years because 1 year rates are highly variable) in Denver is 6.6, in Salt Lake City it's 4.5. Now you are correct about New York City - their rate is 4.2 over that same period. However, I'm sure the distribution in New York is very uneven. There are likely still neighborhoods in New York that are more dangerous than any neighborhood in Salt Lake. That's just what happens in a city as large and diverse as New York. They're not even really comparable.

Of course, the key thing to note is that all of these numbers are very low.

I grew up and lived in Sugarhouse. We had no break-ins or issues there. Worst thing that happened in our neighborhood was a stabbing in the house across the street from us, but it wasn't just some random stabbing. My apartment in South Salt Lake WAS broken into once (someone was home and scared them off, so they only got away with one item). Never had any issues in Sugarhouse. I've heard of people who have had issues with break-ins or stealing in all areas of the city, but only the occasional violent crime.

I have spent a lot of time in nearly all areas of the city, including downtown, the Central Ninth, Liberty Wells, Fairpark area, around the SLCC South City campus, and in South Salt Lake, and have only clearly witnessed a single violent crime - I did see a gang beating someone up once. This happened on 2100 South around 2200 East. Not exactly an area of the town people would think of when they think of gang activity.

I think the point here is that it can happen anywhere. There are no single neighborhoods in Salt Lake that are significantly more dangerous than any other except for the Rio Grande area, and I'm not sure if that's still true after the crackdown. Violent crime is probably around the average for a city of its size. To paint the violent crime rate as "high" is disingenuous at best, and it's why I don't trust any of these "best or worst cities" rankings. They use very broad, generalized, and often cherry-picked statistics to create their lists, and besides what is deemed "best" and "worst" is often in the eye of the beholder. That particular ranking compared Salt Lake City's violent crime rate to the OVERALL national average (including cities, rural areas, suburbs, etc). Some people may not care about certain statistics when they're looking at a place to live, or they may care about something else much more than other people would. Those lists are worthless for all I know or care about.

Now Salt Lake DOES have a high rate of property crime, and I believe those statistics. I don't really know why that is though, and I do think local and state government is in denial about that. I also agree that even though our violent crime rate is not high, I do think the perception that Salt Lake and Utah is safe, and our local leaders' desire to keep our perception that way, does mean that we do tend to overlook legitimate issues that we have. It wasn't until the series of violent crimes that occurred around Rio Grande started making some national news that we took a serious look at the issue.

Anyway, I don't want to go down this path because we know what happens when we do on this forum. I've probably made this a bigger/longer post than I should have already. I just hate the kinds of narratives that these "best/worst cities" lists can create.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:36 AM

Apparently, the City/County Building was undergoing a $10 million renovation.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-wraps-up.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 8:00 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The homicide rate in Salt Lake is NOT higher than Denver. The 2012-2016 average per 100,000 (I prefer using 5 years because 1 year rates are highly variable) in Denver is 6.6, in Salt Lake City it's 4.5. Now you are correct about New York City - their rate is 4.2 over that same period. However, I'm sure the distribution in New York is very uneven. There are likely still neighborhoods in New York that are more dangerous than any neighborhood in Salt Lake. That's just what happens in a city as large and diverse as New York. They're not even really comparable.

Of course, the key thing to note is that all of these numbers are very low.

I grew up and lived in Sugarhouse. We had no break-ins or issues there. Worst thing that happened in our neighborhood was a stabbing in the house across the street from us, but it wasn't just some random stabbing. My apartment in South Salt Lake WAS broken into once (someone was home and scared them off, so they only got away with one item). Never had any issues in Sugarhouse. I've heard of people who have had issues with break-ins or stealing in all areas of the city, but only the occasional violent crime.

I have spent a lot of time in nearly all areas of the city, including downtown, the Central Ninth, Liberty Wells, Fairpark area, around the SLCC South City campus, and in South Salt Lake, and have only clearly witnessed a single violent crime - I did see a gang beating someone up once. This happened on 2100 South around 2200 East. Not exactly an area of the town people would think of when they think of gang activity.

I think the point here is that it can happen anywhere. There are no single neighborhoods in Salt Lake that are significantly more dangerous than any other except for the Rio Grande area, and I'm not sure if that's still true after the crackdown. Violent crime is probably around the average for a city of its size. To paint the violent crime rate as "high" is disingenuous at best, and it's why I don't trust any of these "best or worst cities" rankings. They use very broad, generalized, and often cherry-picked statistics to create their lists, and besides what is deemed "best" and "worst" is often in the eye of the beholder. That particular ranking compared Salt Lake City's violent crime rate to the OVERALL national average (including cities, rural areas, suburbs, etc). Some people may not care about certain statistics when they're looking at a place to live, or they may care about something else much more than other people would. Those lists are worthless for all I know or care about.

Now Salt Lake DOES have a high rate of property crime, and I believe those statistics. I don't really know why that is though, and I do think local and state government is in denial about that. I also agree that even though our violent crime rate is not high, I do think the perception that Salt Lake and Utah is safe, and our local leaders' desire to keep our perception that way, does mean that we do tend to overlook legitimate issues that we have. It wasn't until the series of violent crimes that occurred around Rio Grande started making some national news that we took a serious look at the issue.

Anyway, I don't want to go down this path because we know what happens when we do on this forum. I've probably made this a bigger/longer post than I should have already. I just hate the kinds of narratives that these "best/worst cities" lists can create.
I think the narratives can have a positive impact. We should not gloss over a great deal of SLC's crime problem because it doesn't feel like it should happen here. In 2016 and 2017, SLC recorded 12 homicides both years. That's a homicide rate of 6.1 average per 100,000 (if I did my math right). Which is significantly above the national average.

Salt Lake has had three homicides so far in 2018, which is lower...but the exact same amount as this time last year. The hope is that we don't see a back-end of homicides like last year (three in July, two in August and two in November).

Stay tuned...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:04 PM
Engineer

Wadsworth uploaded some documents to their planning application for NE corner of 400 E 400 S, along with a some elevation drawings and a rendering. 7 stories, 95 units, street level retail along 400 South.

I think it is very ugly.

Last edited by airhero; Jun 18, 2018 at 6:18 PM. Reason: Fixed image

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:13 PM
Engineer

Also Hardware Village:

The scaffolding came off and I wondered if this was actually finished and I think it is. Why would they cover everything on this project in brick except this corner in gray stucco? Even the parking garage is getting brick. I'm very confused. It looks bad.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Wadsworth uploaded some documents to their planning application for NE corner of 400 E 400 S, along with a some elevation drawings and a rendering. 7 stories, 95 units, street level retail along 400 South.

I think it is very ugly.
Wait, are they tearing down the Beto's? Where will drunk college students eat at 2 AM?
Yeah, it's ugly, but ground level retail is good.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Wait, are they tearing down the Beto's? Where will drunk college students eat at 2 AM?
It is a bit of a mess, but I'll take it because of the ground level retail and large storefronts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Also Hardware Village:

The scaffolding came off and I wondered if this was actually finished and I think it is. Why would they cover everything on this project in brick except this corner in gray stucco? Even the parking garage is getting brick. I'm very confused. It looks bad.
The renderings showed grey stucco, so I guess that's it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
They might take the old subway lot, but it looks like the lot occupied by Betos remains.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:58 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
The renderings showed grey stucco, so I guess that's it.
What renderings do you see? I'm looking at the ones in planning documents, which show no stucco anywhere. The rendering in the top right below shows the same corner. The whole west façade looks completely different.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
What renderings do you see? I'm looking at the ones in planning documents, which show no stucco anywhere. The rendering in the top right below shows the same corner. The whole west façade looks completely different.

I noticed the difference between what was being built and the renderings when West facade windows didn’t match. I was hoping they wouldn’t leave the parking structure visible like the apartments to the north. Now I’m skeptical they will be covering it up

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:10 AM

I think they must have VE'd the brick to stucco. I'm not sure what legalities SLC has, but this kind of change would have required the developer to submit the change to the city for approval if it was up here.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
They might take the old subway lot, but it looks like the lot occupied by Betos remains.
Oh thank god. For a little bit there I was really worried.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:31 PM

LEGO Architecture is so cool. I figure you guys will appreciate my nerdiness more than most.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 1:54 AM

A long time ago I saw a Nova or PBS show about the 2 competing designs for the One World Trade Center Building. I think I prefer the design that was overlooked. It had a slight resemblance in form to the Statue of Liberty.

^^^^

It took me a second to place the World Trade Center Building in the LEGO rendering. Nice work

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:52 AM
Ironweed

Quote:

Well, this is Utah after all. Cutting drastic corners to save a dime is the Utah way.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:14 AM
They all float down here

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:25 AM

Anybody know what this is? It looks like relatively detailed renderings for a building that would replace a surface parking lot on 200 S. I was walking through that area today; there is a lot of good development on 200S between 300 and 400 W. With the paperbox development, paragon development and perhaps this new building, that area is gonna be really cool (and walkable) pretty soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 10:20 PM

^^^ I have no knowledge of the project, but perhaps it is a second phase/additional project by the same developers as the Paperbox site; which would explain how they have basic renderings of the project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West