HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i got friends that go on tour as a band by canoe

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:35 AM

http://www.steinbachonline.com/local...osals-revealed

Plans for Steinbach's new multiplex

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
http://www.steinbachonline.com/local...osals-revealed

Plans for Steinbach's new multiplex
Interesting. About time Steinbach had a proper rink... TG Smith would be a suitable arena for a town the size of Gimli, not a small city like Steinbach with a thriving MJHL team.

I like option 2... instead of tacking on a performing arts venue almost as an afterthought, keep the focus on sports and recreation and build a proper standalone arts centre elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting. About time Steinbach had a proper rink... TG Smith would be a suitable arena for a town the size of Gimli, not a small city like Steinbach with a thriving MJHL team.

I like option 2... instead of tacking on a performing arts venue almost as an afterthought, keep the focus on sports and recreation and build a proper standalone arts centre elsewhere.
I agree. Option 2 could have a Keystone Centre vibe.

I wonder how much capacity the arena will have. They were talking about 3k-4k which would be way too large. The renders look similar to portage and virden which are around 2k which would be the right size. I doubt Steinbach will ever get a WHL of USHL team

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
I agree. Option 2 could have a Keystone Centre vibe.

I wonder how much capacity the arena will have. They were talking about 3k-4k which would be way too large. The renders look similar to portage and virden which are around 2k which would be the right size. I doubt Steinbach will ever get a WHL of USHL team
It's for an 1,800 seat arena. Back when Eugene Melnyk (owner of the Senators) owned the pharmaceutical plant in Steinbach there was real talk of expansion for a WHL team there.

If anyone wants to see the full proposal click

Full details, stats, costs, steps here

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 12:43 PM

2k or even 3k for an arena wouldn't be over built. Steinbach like many larger towns/small cities are growing across the prairies. Might as well build for the future.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
2k or even 3k for an arena wouldn't be over built. Steinbach like many larger towns/small cities are growing across the prairies. Might as well build for the future.
True. Selkirk Rec Complex holds 2,751 and it was built in 1992 when Selkirk was smaller than Steinbach is now. It has enabled Selkirk to host some fairly significant events given that their rink is basically the number two arena in the Winnipeg region.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:46 PM

Steinbach and area are exploding. Steinbach is projected to be the size of Brandon in 20 years. But that arena similar to Selkirk. Especially on a $70M project. Which is very large for that size of town!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:58 PM

Bad news for Wynyard and the Karnalyte potash proposal:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2520112

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:28 PM

These guys have 4 significant grain terminal construction projects on the go in MB and SK with more likely to come with their new shareholders' deep pockets.

Also good news for the CWB head office in Winnipeg.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1518...invests-in-cwb

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Steinbach and area are exploding. Steinbach is projected to be the size of Brandon in 20 years. But that arena similar to Selkirk. Especially on a $70M project. Which is very large for that size of town!
Don't think so, 35K increase in population in 20 years seems rather optimistic!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:07 PM

^Pretty sure I seen that in the Stats Can numbers. I'll see what I can find. It is a large number.

On the CWB front, I think it's a terrible outcome for Canada. CWB will be 100% owned by Saudi's and Americans in 7 years. And they are getting the company for a $250M "investment". So they're paying themselves $250M for the company. not matter what Ritz says, they're basically getting it for free.

Basically using all the farmers money and the $300M the Feds gave them for their expansion (which is far from complete by the way). The company is turned over to G3 for their $250M investment. Right....

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
^Pretty sure I seen that in the Stats Can numbers. I'll see what I can find. It is a large number.

On the CWB front, I think it's a terrible outcome for Canada. CWB will be 100% owned by Saudi's and Americans in 7 years. And they are getting the company for a $250M "investment". So they're paying themselves $250M for the company. not matter what Ritz says, they're basically getting it for free.

Basically using all the farmers money and the $300M the Feds gave them for their expansion (which is far from complete by the way). The company is turned over to G3 for their $250M investment. Right....
Well, I do not know the value of CWB or whether the $250 million goes to the Gov't, but these shareholders have deep pockets and long term strategic and expansion plans. The farmers will get paid future market value for their shares that they paid nothing for. Basically they are loyalty points. This gives producers another marketing option and creates competition.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Well, I do not know the value of CWB or whether the $250 million goes to the Gov't, but these shareholders have deep pockets and long term strategic and expansion plans. The farmers will get paid future market value for their shares that they paid nothing for. Basically they are loyalty points. This gives producers another marketing option and creates competition.
The $250M stays with CWB as an "investment". That's where I take issue. They're paying nothing for the company, really. Gerry Ritz tip toes around this, saying it's not quite how it works. When in fact that's exactly how it works. Agreed their plans (CWB plans, not G3 or whomever) are ambitious and good for the region. Gives another option for farmers. But I also take issue with the foreign ownership. I do not like selling out our country, in this case giving it away, which is happening all the time.

The farmers will make some cash over the next 7 years on their $5 per tonne shares or whatever it is. It doesn't really say how that works either. But after 7 years, CWB has the option to purchase the remaining 49.9% of shares, which they will no doubt purchase. Giving G3 100% control. I would've preferred that farmer union based out of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The $250M stays with CWB as an "investment". That's where I take issue. They're paying nothing for the company, really. Gerry Ritz tip toes around this, saying it's not quite how it works. When in fact that's exactly how it works. Agreed their plans (CWB plans, not G3 or whomever) are ambitious and good for the region. Gives another option for farmers. But I also take issue with the foreign ownership. I do not like selling out our country, in this case giving it away, which is happening all the time.

The farmers will make some cash over the next 7 years on their $5 per tonne shares or whatever it is. It doesn't really say how that works either. But after 7 years, CWB has the option to purchase the remaining 49.9% of shares, which they will no doubt purchase. Giving G3 100% control. I would've preferred that farmer union based out of Saskatoon.
I understand your point. I am not in favour of limiting foreign ownership of most businesses. It denies the owners the right to fair value and limits options for Canadian large companies to buy international assets.

Australia let Viterra buy the Australian Wheat Board.

Also FNA of Saskatoon does not have enough capital. I also believe that producer-owned agi-businesses tend to fail eventually. They are too focussed on their suppliers rather than on making money. Eventually this catches up to them.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 10:49 PM

This quote right here says it all.

"But none of the funds from this deal will flow to the federal government, former owners of the Canadian Wheat Board, and farmers will effectively have to start from scratch to re-claim their stake-hold in what used to be a farmer-run marketing agency.

"This is the most massive transfer of wealth and earning power from farmers to the international trade in Canadian history," said Anders Bruun, a spokesman for the Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board that is pursuing a class action against the federal government over the manner in which the CWB assets have been privatized."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
This quote right here says it all.

"But none of the funds from this deal will flow to the federal government, former owners of the Canadian Wheat Board, and farmers will effectively have to start from scratch to re-claim their stake-hold in what used to be a farmer-run marketing agency.

"This is the most massive transfer of wealth and earning power from farmers to the international trade in Canadian history," said Anders Bruun, a spokesman for the Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board that is pursuing a class action against the federal government over the manner in which the CWB assets have been privatized."
Mr. Bruun is a tad biased, no. Did farmer's really have a bunch of wealth and earning power tied up in CWB?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 11:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cwb is building a grain elevator in nivervill as well

u go outside the city and theirs an insane amount of building going on

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 11:50 PM

I'm not sure of the details, so can't really elaborate. But from what I understand, there is some form of equity tied up there. Not exactly sure how.

CWB currently has a few sites on the go at:

Bloom, Mb.
Colonsay, Sk.
Pasqua, Sk.
St. Adolphe, Mb. (actually on the west side of the river, more in the Glenlea area)

They also purchased two laker vessels, Grand sand Hills railway in Sask (which they are planning to upgrade some elevators there), A couple terminals, among other stuff. They plan on building more elevators, can't say where.

They're going to have a huge operation on the farmers and taxpayers dime.

All the other major (and minor) grain players are expanding and building new facilities. Many of them with oval (loop style but not quite) railway facilities. As oppose to the traditional parallel siding type track. The railways these days are requiring single train spots. So they won't do any switching to breakdown the train into smaller lengths. Hence the need for the oval track, which they can pull in, drop the train and leave rather quickly compared to breaking up the train.

All this is spurred by the break up of CWB. So it is good for the local economy in that sense. But from what I understand on the grain side, the quality being produced is much less than what the original CWB would traditionally accept. Lower quality equals higher yields. But also brings in less dollars per bushel. Not sure how the lower quality grain is being received around the world. This also leads to the issue for railways trying to ship all this grain.

But you're right AJ, tons of stuff going on around the prairies.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 12:12 AM

Yes, 2 years ago there were no loop tracks in Saskatchewan. Now I can't count how many are operating or under construction. These things are huge - like 2km around. There are grain, oil, potash and combination loops. I can think of Pasqua, Colonsay, Northgate, Kerrobert, Bethune and Nipawin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan