HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Thats fine.. the could have closed it off at north temple though.
What's the difference?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
What's the difference?
Direct acsess to north temple from main street

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:02 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone besides me think that the CCC bliboard and poster advertisements have a striking resemblance to twilight movie posters???

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

I recently was guided on an "unofficial tour" of the Regent. It has awesome views and overall is a really cool building. What fascinated me the most, however, was the freight elevator that took us to the "5th" floor in the underground parking garage.

The 5th floor has a 30ft tall ceiling and a bunch of giant docks where the trucks come in and unload all the stuff for the stores on the East Block. The crazy part is that there is this giant elevator that a freight trucks pulls into and then it is lowered into the 5th floor. I can't even imagine how powerful that elevator has to be to handle all that weight. They really did think of everything.
Ah, I remember hearing about this years ago but assumed the plans had changed because no one's said anything since. Where is it exactly? How do the trucks get to the elevator? I would so like to see that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:13 PM

Does anybody know what the final cost of this project was? I have heard estimates anywhere between 1.5 to 5 billion dollars.

It's incredible that it was built by an entity with the cash and commitment to see such a huge development through the economic collapse and skyrocketing cost. Any other developer would have left SLC with another Sugar Hole or built a shabby product in similar conditions.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosePark View Post
Does anybody know what the final cost of this project was? I have heard estimates anywhere between 1.5 to 5 billion dollars.

It's incredible that it was built by an entity with the cash and commitment to see such a huge development through the economic collapse and skyrocketing cost. Any other developer would have left SLC with another Sugar Hole or built a shabby product in similar conditions.

We're just damn lucky the LDS is very rich. $$$
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Two different articles in the Deseret News said it was $1.2B in one article and $1.5 in another. The Trib usually always says $1.5B.

I think the $5B to $7B figures I've heard elsewhere are just from people who hate the LDS church and want to exaggerate and emphasize what they think is a lot of wasted money. Ignore that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
I want a 458

Quote:

I would almost say that the timing was perfect for the LDS Church. Actual demolition/construction began in 2007-08 just before the economic collapse happened (in Oct '08.)

Costs were probably pretty high the first year to year-and-a-half but I know construction expense (material costs and labor) dropped significantly from 2009-on. So 75% of the construction timeline, they were most likely paying less for everything. I would estimate 30-40% less.

At first all the newspapers kept saying $2B+ for the project (based on 2007-08 costs) but then they revised it into the $1B-$1.5B range over the past couple years. When you see the $5B number, they're talking about what City Creek has spurred outside of the actual project (Hamilton Partners tower, Harmons, additional development in and around downtown, etc.) During the same time.

Sidenote, had the LDS Church not financed this themselves, it would have died in late 2008 or been scaled waaaay back from what we see today.

Last edited by Wasatch_One; Mar 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I would almost say that the timing was perfect for the LDS Church. Actual demolition/construction began in 2007-08 just before the economic collapse happened (in Oct '08.) ...
It was perfect timing. I don't think they could have planned it better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:33 AM
I want a 458

agreed ...and now the economy is coming back steadily just in time for the opening.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
It was perfect timing. I don't think they could have planned it better.
It's almost as if they have someone at the head of their organization that has some kind of foresight, like a prophet or something...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:42 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba1415 View Post
It's almost as if they have someone at the head of their organization that has some kind of foresight, like a prophet or something...
Keep the anti and apologetics stuff in the politics thread.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:45 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Ah, I remember hearing about this years ago but assumed the plans had changed because no one's said anything since. Where is it exactly? How do the trucks get to the elevator? I would so like to see that.

It's below the Regent; you have to take the freight elevator down. Then you walk like 40 feet east along the same wall as the freight elevator to these giant grated doors. You get really close to the doors and look through one of the holes and you can see what looks like a giant elevator space for a big freight truck.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:12 PM

Delete

Last edited by T-Mac; Apr 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:43 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

^

That looks right on target. We entered the Regent through the residential entrance (on the east side), walked to the back of the building to the freight elevator and followed the wall east.

If someone drops a nuke in the area or if a zombie apocalypse takes place, it wouldn't be a bad idea to head to the fifth floor in the freight basement; it seems like a pretty ideal setup for survival.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:59 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
agreed ...and now the economy is coming back steadily just in time for the opening.
Yeah... Except it will probably crash harder then it did last time by the end of the year

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:08 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Yeah... Except it will probably crash harder then it did last time by the end of the year
I seriously doubt that. Consumer debt is lower than before the crash. US Banks are in the best shape they've been in in 20 years. And our recovery thus far has been without a recovery of the real estate market. Again, a topic more appropriate for the Politics thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...4&postcount=79

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:10 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Edited. The topic commented on was more appropriate for another thread and didn't actually warrant a repsonse.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:10 PM
Traffic Engineer (EIT)

Quote:
Two different articles in the Deseret News said it was $1.2B in one article and $1.5 in another. The Trib usually always says $1.5B.

I think the $5B to $7B figures I've heard elsewhere are just from people who hate the LDS church and want to exaggerate and emphasize what they think is a lot of wasted money. Ignore that.
Agreed. You can build an entire new freeway, including EIS and land acquisition, for $1-2 billion for 30 miles. As impressive as CCC is, I really don't think the fancy exteriors and flooring added $4 billion to the price tag.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
The fact that Trax runs down Main Street does not preclude the conversion of Main into a pedestrian walkway. In Düsseldorf, streetcars run right in the middle of a busy pedestrian-only street in the CBD. The street has shops and restaurants and all that. And when a streetcar approaches, people just move aside. It's easy.
Denver has a huge pedestrian zone with a bus line making a continual loop all the way through it; seems to work great. 18th Street Mall? 16th Street? I don't remember.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West