HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:20 AM

My condolences to Vancouver on your Seahawks losing to the Patriots.
Congrats to the the eastern provinces on your Patriots winning!

Amazing game... nail biter right to the end.

6 out of the last 8 Super Bowls were decided by 7 points or less. Incredible.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:23 AM
gettin' rich!

One of the dumbest play calls in Superbowl history...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
One of the dumbest play calls in Superbowl history...
You can say that again.

It really seems like the Seahawks were just so confident that no matter what they do - they'll get it in the end-zone. I've never seen a team so confident.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
My condolences to Vancouver on your Seahawks losing to the Patriots.

Uhh, gee. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Oh, this is too awesome. If there is a better example of how pathetic the Canadian music scene is, I don't know it.

Hey Canadians! Feeling left out because all of the great music is coming from places like London and Manchester and Athens, Georgia? That's okay, we can "legislate" quality by government bureaucracy! We can protect our music to make it better!

That's sad. Because the answer isn't protectionism. It never is. Though I don't know what the actual answer is for the CFL, I just know what it isn't, which is some sort of legislation against NFL broadcasts, or whatever. My complaint about a supermarket in downtown Toronto playing the Super Bowl is that it is an offence against good taste and reason. The supermarket should be convinced not to show it, it shouldn't be forced by government fiat not to show it.
Obviously I don't think it should be banned but that won't prevent me from finding it stupid.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:16 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Is there a demand for all the NCAA hockey that is now being shown on the new TSN channels? I would say not, but because it is cheaper to acquire and is being exposed and people are being conditioned to it instead of CIS, eventually that will create demand.

Canadians will embrace their own stories but they are not being given that choice on a fair level. The Super Bore (which I didn't even know was today) will be broadcast on a national network which has at least a 10 percent larger coverage audience than does the cable outlet TSN.

I wish I would have marked the poll I read a few days ago. The most popular sports story in Canada in 2014 was the medal haul in Sochi easily beating everything else, American stories and World Cup of soccer included. Canadians want Canadian stories but are being stymied by people who think they don't.

These thick people don't understand that people have the capacity to appreciate different things and not the mainstream. The most successful Canadian programs overseas are not the ones that pretend Toronto is Chicago or New York but the ones that embrace Canada. ie Trailer Park Boys, Corner Gas, Slings and Arrows (which some have hailed as one of the best TV programs of all time)
If you're a sports fan in Canada it can actually be claimed that the idea that you just have to be interested in the NFL gets literally shoved down your throat. For a league that has no teams in Canada the bombardment and over-the-top coverage with respect to the NFL since the 1980s smacks of a concerted effort at conditioning people to like something. (This is true of most of the stuff we like BTW - it's mostly conditioning, sad to say.)

Prior to the 1970s, interest in the NFL was actually quite limited in Canada. Interest (and even obsession) for the NFL is something that was created - rather skilfully, I might add.

But there is nothing necessarily innate or natural about demand for the NFL's product in Canada.

BTW, it was a really good and entertaining game tonight.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

And although I do totally get it for people right at the border (almost sharing a metro) like Windsor and Fort Erie, for most other Canadians, cheering for ''their Seahawks" or "their Patriots'' seems like that guy who takes pride in his neighbour's backyard pool...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 5:11 AM

Not sure why people find it weird for Vancouverites to cheer for Seattle sports teams. We do get the Seattle affiliates (Q, KING, KOMO, KIRO), so are brought up with the hype for their teams.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
Not sure why people find it weird for Vancouverites to cheer for Seattle sports teams. We do get the Seattle affiliates (Q, KING, KOMO, KIRO), so are brought up with the hype for their teams.
Does Seattle reciprocate these feelings for Vancouver sports teams?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Does Seattle reciprocate these feelings for Vancouver sports teams?
I doubt there are many Lioins/CFL fans in Seattle, but I know that they have a decent amount of Canucks fans - as the Pacific NW of the US has no NHL team.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see you're back to your standard response.
And you're posting your American propaganda again, why not just make it easier and move there. It certainly won't be culture shock for you the way you love it so.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
???

Apologies to you southern Ontarians for your Bills not being there. The previous sentence was about as stupid as your quoted post, my Yankee friend.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Oh, this is too awesome. If there is a better example of how pathetic the Canadian music scene is, I don't know it.

Hey Canadians! Feeling left out because all of the great music is coming from places like London and Manchester and Athens, Georgia? That's okay, we can "legislate" quality by government bureaucracy! We can protect our music to make it better!
Bullshit! Canadian artists couldn't get airplay before the early 70s because of the "perceived" quality of their work. Most had to go to the US to "establish" themselves to be given any time back home.

You're right, we shouldn't have to legislate anything but because we live next to the largest cultural superpower in the world we are bombarded by their culture.

We legislated minimal Canadian content regulations and to meet those numbers came more facilities and eventually more trained producers and engineers to manage them and we were able to build an industry. And with better qualified people would come better crafted music.

Sorry if you don't like nationalism but until the world is viewed from space without borders that's the way it is.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:12 PM

Sounds like someone's upset.

Calling someone a "Yankee" isn't really a knock. We've benefited so much from being neighbors to the US.

Personally, I think what makes Canada great is democracy and capitalism. I love letting the consumer decide what they want. It's healthy to have competition and it spurs innovation. We're not 100% there yet as the CRTC wants to force substandard products down our throat because they know we wouldn't accept them otherwise. If anyone hates the idea of letting the consumer decide - maybe they should move to North Korea or somewhere.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:00 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Most of the Maritimes are closer to Boston than Montreal or Toronto. We have no major league teams of our own, not even CFL. We get Boston TV channels, just like Vancouver gets Seattle. So explain how we shouldn't be allowed to root for the closest teams to us?

I make no apologies for celebrating "my" Patriots winning.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agreed. The Patriots are the Maritimes team by default and I am a proud supporter.

It should be noted however than I tend to ignore the NFL until mid November. Before that time of the year I am a loyal CFL (and CIS) fan. I don't see any problems being a supporter of both Canadian rules football and the NFL. It's not an either/or thing........

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Agreed. The Patriots are the Maritimes team by default and I am a proud supporter.

It should be noted however than I tend to ignore the NFL until mid November. Before that time of the year I am a loyal CFL (and CIS) fan. I don't see any problems being a supporter of both Canadian rules football and the NFL. It's not an either/or thing........
I am very much the same although I don't really have a favourite NFL team.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:09 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am very much the same although I don't really have a favourite NFL team.
Stop showing interest in the NFL, Acajack. Everyone is recording this.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
We're not 100% there yet as the CRTC wants to force substandard products down our throat because they know we wouldn't accept them otherwise.
Substandard? Such as what? And there are no substandard broadcasts from your country?

Berklon, this whole thing wouldn't really bother me except for the fact that you always love trolling it and I really don't know why you would do that. The word quisling comes to mind.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
I love letting the consumer decide what they want. It's healthy to have competition and it spurs innovation.
See Jack Valenti and Flora MacDonald.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada