HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Found just the place for you in Cedar Rapids: https://goo.gl/maps/rhSGnGw4zTA2
yes! we all need pizza.

but cedar rapids is over 100 miles from des moines.

also, downtown cedar rapids has a skywalk system. why?

also also, cedar rapids has an interesting houseboat community. who the fuck knew?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 13, 2018 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:59 PM

The REAL rankings, imo:

1. New York City, US (The Velvet Underground, Suicide, Television, The Ramones, Blondie, Swans, Sonic Youth, Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, The Strokes)
2. Manchester, UK (Buzzcocks, Magazine, Joy Division/New Order, The Fall, The Durutti Column, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Verve, Autechre)
3. Berlin, DE (Cluster, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Thomas Köner, Basic Channel, Monolake)
4. London, UK (Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Wire, Public Image Limited, Talk Talk, The Orb, Suede, M.I.A.)
5. Glasgow, UK (Orange Juice, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Pastels, Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura)
6. Athens, US (R.E.M., The B-52s, Neutral Milk Hotel)
7. Seattle, US (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains)
8. Minneapolis, US (The Replacements, Hüsker Dü, Prince)
9. Cleveland, US (Devo, Pere Ubu, Nine Inch Nails)
10. Düsseldorf, DE (Kraftwerk, Neu!)
11. Boston, US (The Modern Lovers, Mission of Burma, Pixies, Galaxie 500)
12. Birmingham, UK (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Swell Maps, The Beat, Felt, Godflesh, Broadcast)
13. Los Angeles, US (The Byrds, Love, Minutemen, Black Flag, NWA)
14. Kingston, JM (Bob Marley and the Wailers, Toots and the Maytals)
15. Bristol, UK (Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky)
16. Brisbane, AU (The Go-Betweens, The Saints)
17. Dunedin, NZ (The Chills, The Clean)
18. Liverpool, UK (The Beatles, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Echo and the Bunnymen, The La's)
19. Montreal, CA (Leonard Cohen, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Arcade Fire, Grimes)
20. Detroit, US (Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Robert Hood)
21. Dublin, IE (My Bloody Valentine, U2)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yes! we all need pizza.

but cedar rapids is over 100 miles from des moines.

also, downtown cedar rapids has a skywalk system. why?

also also, cedar rapids has an interesting houseboat community. who the fuck knew?
sick houseboat park

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:41 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
The REAL rankings, imo:

1. New York City, US (The Velvet Underground, Suicide, Television, The Ramones, Blondie, Swans, Sonic Youth, Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, The Strokes)
2. Manchester, UK (Buzzcocks, Magazine, Joy Division/New Order, The Fall, The Durutti Column, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Verve, Autechre)
3. Berlin, DE (Cluster, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Thomas Köner, Basic Channel, Monolake)
4. London, UK (Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Wire, Public Image Limited, Talk Talk, The Orb, Suede, M.I.A.)
5. Glasgow, UK (Orange Juice, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Pastels, Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura)
12. Birmingham, UK (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Swell Maps, The Beat, Felt, Godflesh, Broadcast)
18. Liverpool, UK (The Beatles, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Echo and the Bunnymen, The La's)
19. Montreal, CA (Leonard Cohen, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Arcade Fire, Grimes)
No love for Toronto music? (The Band, Lighthouse, Rush, Platinum Blonde, Blue Rodeo, Cowboy Junkies, Broken Social Scene, Metric, Death From Above 1979, Crystal Castles, Drake, The Weeknd)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
The REAL rankings, imo:

3. Berlin, DE (Cluster, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, ̶T̶̶h̶̶o̶̶m̶̶a̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶K̶̶ö̶̶n̶̶e̶̶r̶, Basic Channel, Monolake)
+ Rammstein + Berlin Philharmonic + Bowie, Depeche Mode and U2 produced albums at Hansa Studios

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:50 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

st. louis/east st louis area: miles davis, chuck berry, tina turner, wilco, ike turner, scott joplin...the birth of rock n roll etc...

they gave us a national blues museum tho

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 8:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
A.T. Kearney's annual Global Cities Report, 2018

https://www.atkearney.com/2018-globa...alGlobalCities

1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Los Angeles
7. Singapore
8. Beijing
9. Chicago
10. Brussels
11. Washington, DC
12. Seoul
13. Madrid
14. Moscow
15. Sydney
16. Berlin
17. Melbourne
18. Toronto
19. Shanghai
20. San Francisco
21. Vienna
22. Calabasas, CA
23. Dubai
24. Las Vegas, NV
25. Amsterdam
26. Mykonos
27. Bentonville, AR
28. New Orleans, LA
29. Vancouver, BC
30. Omaha, NE

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
*UN 2016 Per Capita GDP by Country, $30,000+
*MSAs with 1 million+population and/or $50B+ GDP

Per Capita GDP, 2016
Monaco $168,004
Liechtenstein $164,437

San Jose $127,594
Bridgeport $108,455
Luxembourg $101,835
San Francisco $100,558
Bermuda $99,363
Boston $88,156
Seattle $86,974
Washington $83,044
New York $82,241
Monaco and Liechtenstein are tax havens. But San Jose never fails to impress me with the crazy amount of well-off people. I live on the Peninsula now where there’s this feeling that everyone around you is doing better than you. In Paris, it was the opposite. It felt like everyone is just getting by or struggling along with you. You could never “feel” the wealth in Paris like you do in the Bay Area.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:38 AM

Nm

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
no, i didn't say that des moines' skyline is "amazing".

i said that it looks pretty damn good FOR A CITY ITS SIZE.

which is a perfectly cromulent opinion to hold.
Someone has been watching too much of The Simpsons.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Monaco and Liechtenstein are tax havens. But San Jose never fails to impress me with the crazy amount of well-off people. I live on the Peninsula now where there’s this feeling that everyone around you is doing better than you. In Paris, it was the opposite. It felt like everyone is just getting by or struggling along with you. You could never “feel” the wealth in Paris like you do in the Bay Area.
It's because somebody else's Porsche Cayenne just beat you to the only parking space for 5 blocks.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:58 AM

I always thought the Bay Area had understated wealth. Many of the rich are nerdy, socially awkward guys living in random anonymous suburbs, or SJWs attempting to display their "goodness" through conspicuous anti-consumerism.

I mean, Mark Zukerberg wears Old Navy hoodies and looks like he gets his hair cut by his wife. You could see someone mistakenly tossing a few spare bills into his morning coffee cup.

Miami has ostentatious wealth. Coastal LA, too. Even NYC, though kinda doing its own localized thing. Dallas, maybe Atlanta. Never got that feeling in the Bay Area.

And, to me, Paris has tons of ostentatious wealth. The Champs Elysees has been taken over by Gulf state playboys revving their exotic vehicles. Don't think Palo Alto has too many Arab shiekhs crusing in their Ferraris and Bugattis. More of a Prius and Subaru town.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need to flaunt his wealth; it's not really his personality and everyone knows he's one of the richest people in the world. It's the folks who have a 1,000th of his wealth who need to flash it...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:45 PM

^^^ It's often times the people who don't actually have real wealth who are flashing it. Showing off the bank's money... That's why we have recessions; to deprive vain idiots of assets they don't deserve.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:54 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ It's often times the people who don't actually have real wealth who are flashing it. Showing off the bank's money... That's why we have recessions; to deprive vain idiots of assets they don't deserve.
Haha yes.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I agree, but Stuttgart and Düsseldorf are part of the same population/economic corridor, alongside Frankfurt (and Cologne, Mannheim-Heidelberg and Ruhr).

Germany is, of course, very decentralized, but I would say Frankfurt, overall, is most influential, mostly because it sits at the center of Germany and Western Europe.
From the point of view of these lists, I think it would be fair to consider a Nordrhein-Westfalen-Hessen blob to be "a city", and the SF Bay Area as well.

I've always suspected San Francisco always loses influence because when you consider that all the data used probably comes from various sources originally, some of it is bound to have been entered separately as San Jose's instead by whichever organization compiled it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:14 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
The REAL rankings, imo:

Not even gonna include Guns n Roses, Van Halen, and Motley Crue in Los Angeles? Smh.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
From the point of view of these lists, I think it would be fair to consider a Nordrhein-Westfalen-Hessen blob to be "a city", and the SF Bay Area as well.

I've always suspected San Francisco always loses influence because when you consider that all the data used probably comes from various sources originally, some of it is bound to have been entered separately as San Jose's instead by whichever organization compiled it.
I think that's fair. That area of Germany wouldn't be considered a metro in the U.S. sense, but it's undeniably a concentration of somewhat interconnected cities, with some broad regional identity, not that different from the Bay Area.

SF is a tough one. It can be overrated or underrated depending on perspective. By CSA it has one of the largest economies on earth, and it seems a bit unreasonable to ascribe all that might to little SF (which is really more in line with Boston, Philly and DC, IMO). On the other hand, MSA is ridiculous and seriously underestimates SF's global influence

The thing is, so much of the Bay Area's wealth and power is based on stuff 40 miles from SF. That is somehow different than, say, a Chicago, which has a much smaller economy these days by CSA, but is clearly a bigger city (and probably, still, a more important city). It matters where the important stuff is located.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Haha, yea, I know a girl who lives with her parents and blows all her money on clothes, expensive makeup, fake eyelashes, bling, expensive bottle service at clubs. It's really sad actually, she can't afford her own place or save anything cause she just blows it all on materialistic bling.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need to flaunt his wealth; it's not really his personality and everyone knows he's one of the richest people in the world. It's the folks who have a 1,000th of his wealth who need to flash it...
More like 1,000,000th of his wealth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions