HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 4:34 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Canadian Entertainment, Music and Catch All II

This is a continuation of the previous thread. Please proceed.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 4:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link to the previous archived thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95736

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 5:13 PM

I find we tend to remember commercials and program's intros and extros because they are repeated.

This program's intro has always rung in my head and I wonder if anyone remembers it. The Australian kid show The Lost Islands had a lengthy intro that basically told the whole story of the show. It had a run on Canadian TV in the mid/late 70s?

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 5:30 PM

Kevin McCorry has managed to log something I think is amazing and invaluable to an amateur TV historian like me. He has created 15 pages of TV schedules (1971-87) (for the Maritimes) which include CBC, CTV and other Canadian stations plus the US networks when cable came online. Most of the Canadian stations and US primetime should apply across the country so it shouldn't be too exclusive to those outside the Maritimes.

Boy, some of these shows bring back memories.

Television Listings For Canada's Eastern Maritime Provinces: 1971 to 1972

I don't see where he links to the TV schedule pages but if you use the link above and change the url from lifestorytvlist1.html to lifestorytvlist2.html and lifestorytvlist3.html up to lifestorytvlist15.html, you get the idea.

This page has been up for a long time, but I didn't realize it was 15 pages worth. Now I have to save them before they're gone.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 6:29 PM

Found a very cool clip of an early US made Friendly Giant. Not many people know that along with Fred Rogers and Ernie Coombs (via Rogers) CBC's head of youth development Fred Rainsberry recruited Bob Homme from Wisconsin

The show moved to Toronto where original puppeteer Ken Ohst was replaced by Rod Coneybeare

What a beautiful, quiet little show, a shame there is nothing like it today.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Kevin McCorry has managed to log something I think is amazing and invaluable to an amateur TV historian like me. He has created 15 pages of TV schedules (1971-87) (for the Maritimes) which include CBC, CTV and other Canadian stations plus the US networks when cable came online. Most of the Canadian stations and US primetime should apply across the country so it shouldn't be too exclusive to those outside the Maritimes.

Boy, some of these shows bring back memories.

Television Listings For Canada's Eastern Maritime Provinces: 1971 to 1972

I don't see where he links to the TV schedule pages but if you use the link above and change the url from lifestorytvlist1.html to lifestorytvlist2.html and lifestorytvlist3.html up to lifestorytvlist15.html, you get the idea.

This page has been up for a long time, but I didn't realize it was 15 pages worth. Now I have to save them before they're gone.
Back in those days schedules varied a lot across the CBC and CTV networks. CBC owned stations in the largest cities, but they also had many private affiliates, many of which did not clear the full network schedule and often had additional local or syndicated programs. In London, CFPL was a CBC affiliate up until 1988, but it aired a much different schedule than the CBC-owned station in Toronto. As an example, Midday was aired at 2pm in London instead of at noon as was done on the network schedule, as CFPL did its own local news and agricultural report during the noon hour. CFPL aired American game shows in the afternoon such as The Price is Right that were not provided by the CBC network.

CTV did not own any of its stations back then, so programming sometimes varied widely. As late as the mid-90s, the affiliates in Kitchener and Toronto (CKCO and CFTO, respectively) had radically different schedules. And in BC, BCTV aired weekday Canucks games and bumped CTV network programs to CHEK, which itself was also a CTV affiliate but didn’t always air network shows at the same time as BCTV.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:26 AM

I had a short stint in traffic back in the day, as well as continuity and sales, production and news, so I saw it all at one time or another.

There would be programs that would air in the mornings and in the afternoons in some markets. Quad tapes would be bicycled across the country (I did that too)

One thing that fascinates me now was between the two main networks (pre cable) they seemed to manage to be able to air almost every major American program. Not saying there aren't any, but I can't remember thinking boy I wish I could see that show.

I do recall in the mid 70s going to friend's houses that had cable and seeing shows that CBC and CTV didn't carry (particularly US game shows), Family Feud comes to mind. But that wasn't a real game breaker.

CHSJ in Saint John NB was an affiliate that often deviated from the CBC sked. NB didn't have a CBC O&O until 1994.

Back to the schedules, a real work of love by that guy and very useful, I downloaded them this aft.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
CTV did not own any of its stations back then, so programming sometimes varied widely.
I love when you get a good Google preview. CTV The Network That Means Business by Michael Nolan gives a good look into the formation of CTV, something that is not so well documented.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 10:13 PM
Mooderator

*sigh*

Alarmforce is listed on the TSX.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 12:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Rusty the old clucker in a bag.
Video Link

Doesn't Rusty sound like the lead singer of Canned Heat?
Video Link

or maybe the guy (Valair) with the weird voice in this video?
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 8:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quick note that if you've done AncestryDNA, they've updated their results again (obviously, your DNA doesn't change, but as more people participate, they're able to identify more specific geography for your ancestry, and moreso, the path your ancestors took to where you are now).

They've ALMOST zeroed in on my genes coming from Waterford, like almost every Newfoundlander whose ancestors came from Ireland.

For example, whoever my ancestors were in 1750, a lot of people also descended from them came here, and a lot stayed behind.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
or maybe the guy (Valair) with the weird voice in this video?
One of the classic Internet vids. Too bad it's fake. For me it always calls to mind the below hilarious vid from a real Danish game show.
"Have I really been smelling a stinking ass?! (Retch) Ugh, and it was hairy!"

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 11:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^you found a video of bnk nosing Trump's rectum
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 6:09 PM

^Except bnk enjoys getting his nose into Dump's dumps. The poo of one's idol smells like roses.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 12:45 AM

Friends star Matthew Perry passed away this evening, apparently drowning, perhaps also as a result of another medical issue.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Friends star Matthew Perry passed away this evening, apparently drowning, perhaps also as a result of another medical issue.
Nothing that I can find so far at CBC (no surprise). Not Canadian but another TV personality Richard Moll (Night Court) has died as well

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Nothing that I can find so far at CBC (no surprise)....
You've mentioned elsewhere that you worked in news in the past, so I assume you already know that one of the primary responsibilities of a news organization is verifiability. When the news first broke, the report came from TMZ - hardly a reliable source:

Quote:
TMZ: Jerry Lee Lewis is not dead ... as we previously reported.

We're told the rock 'n' roll legend is alive, living in Memphis. Earlier today we were told by someone claiming to be Lewis' rep that he had passed. That turned out not to be the case.

TMZ regrets the error.
To quote HBO's The Newsroom, from the episode that covered the shooting of US politician Gabby Giffords:

Quote:
"It's a person. A doctor pronounces her dead, not the news."
CBC posted their initial story at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
I assume you already know that one of the primary responsibilities of a news organization is verifiability. When the news first broke, the report came from TMZ - hardly a reliable source:
I had thought they might wait to verify but every other outlet including CTV and CNN posted the story hours before CBC. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

Also for that kind of story TMZ might be a better source. I don't think we need to detail all of MSM's false reporting. When The View (and their in show corrections) is part of ABC News then I know it's lost the plot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
CBC posted their initial story at 7:41 PM.
Is that Pacific time? The story, I am seeing from the AP (on the CBC website) is 10:41 Eastern. The story is also using the LA Times and TMZ as sources

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 1:00 PM

To verify Sainte-Marie's early Mi'kmaq identity claims, her younger sister took a DNA test that showed she had "almost no" Native American ancestry and she says she is genetically related to Sainte-Marie's son, which would not be possible if Buffy was adopted as she claimed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada